dcsimg

Installing cedar lap siding solo

This topic contains 35 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro

I came across this jig for siding

Can’t say I’m crazy about it myself. Ideally suited for when using furing strips. Wouldn’t be crazy about using it where house wrap is being perforated. But in Oz, things are different.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

But in Oz, things are different.

What is Oz?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

What is Oz?

Australia

Doobie
    Pro

What is Oz?

Australia

Yes, Australia. They don’t get no snow like most of us.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I came across this jig for siding

Can’t say I’m crazy about it myself. Ideally suited for when using furing strips. Wouldn’t be crazy about using it where house wrap is being perforated. But in Oz, things are different.

most house wrap manufacturers say nail holes are not an issue

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think everyone is excited to see how that pactool will work out on that angle siding .

Same here! As it turns out, I may have my brother helping me for this project. It will likely be more of a “helper” type of role so the Pactools clamps are still going to be used. They should be beneficial for alignment reasons even if I have an extra set of hands to slap the planks on the wall.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Update:

The siding is done now with the help of the Pactool shingle clamps! I have to say, they helped a lot. I was able to toss up a piece then fine tune it while it was in the clamps with little issue. While the tool is actually meant for installing cedar shakes, it worked just fine for this application!

As you can see in one of the pictures, I just clamped the plank on the wall and marked the board for cut outs and overall length….try doing that with a 16’ piece of cedar (while on a ladder) diagonally and solo…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Glad it worked out Jon.

I ended up calling PacTool and speaking to the gentleman that runs the company about the cedar shake installation clamps…He said he had the same inquiry from another contractor a few days priorr and they would conceptually work well, so I decided to buy them and give it a go.

So he was right.

they will likely drop from square to the previous board to vertical simply because of gravity and I’ll be fighting the tool that is supposed to be helping me.

Did you find there was much ‘fighting’ in that regard?

As you can see in one of the pictures, I just clamped the plank on the wall and marked the board for cut outs and overall length….try doing that with a 16’ piece of cedar (while on a ladder) diagonally and solo…

That would be a toughie or just simply a lot of ‘hit and miss’ without a tool like that.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Wow nice job! That scribing around the round must have been a Pain in the butt!

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The siding is done now

It came out really nice Jon. Like Dirty said looks like a major PITA around the vent.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Looks nice Jon, I do like those clamps.

Doobie
    Pro

Wow nice job! That scribing around the round must have been a Pain in the butt!

Ya, curious what method you used to go about that for a nice clean cut and how to guard it against water infiltration in installing it?

redwood
    Pro

Looks like a pain in the A**. Not sure I would have liked to do it solo. Horizontal, sure, but not diagonally.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What is Oz?

Australia

I thought this was Oz?????

Dirty

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I wouldn’t have done that without a scaffold.

Doobie
    Pro

What is Oz?

Australia

I thought this was Oz?????

Nah! That’s not the real place. AUZ is a land of terrors! Lol!

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.624 seconds