dcsimg

Installing bath tub drains

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jponto07 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Putty or silicone? Which one do you use and why? Just looking for some opinions, we used to use strictly putty but it’s doesn’t seem to work for a new style of waste/overflow kit that we’re testing out.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I use silicone most of the time. I have had more drains leak using putty than I have silicone.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

The silicone seems to be working well, just tested 25 tubs yesterday and not a single leak.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I mostly use silicone (good silicone) anymore…Used to only use putty but, like you said, it doesn’t work with everything anymore. I have never had a problem with using silicone.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I am still lean to putty. I have more confidence in the silicone though its just my brain tells me “what if I want to take it off”…..

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I am still lean to putty. I have more confidence in the silicone though its just my brain tells me “what if I want to take it off”…..

Even with silicone the drain is really not that hard to remove.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Even with silicone the drain is really not that hard to remove.

Ya it’s not too bad, just a bit of a pain in the ass peeling the old silicone off

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I avoid silicone at all costs personally. Apparently, I’m terrible with it. Half of the time it doesn’t bond well, and the rest of the time it looks like crap! (Not referring to tubs specifically)

I used putty exclusively when I worked in the apartment industry serveral years ago without a single call back. This was on tub drains, sinks, etc.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.912 seconds