dcsimg

Injuries From Working In The Trades

This topic contains 156 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 141 through 157 (of 157 total)
  • Author

redwood
    Pro

Sorry about that Pat. I hate hitting my head on things, unfortunately when you are blind in one eye, that is one of the consequenses.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

The collective experience of injuries from everyone here is a really helpful, sobering reminder to take using tools seriously… it is way to easy to get “used” to using things that are pretty deadly.

Yes, and it’s also easy to get ‘used’ to the material we’re working with and forget that they can be dangerous, too.
    Fortunately, I used my head this time, LOL! Or, did I? 🙂

I just got 2 staples. Luckily it wasn’t a big injury, but it was big enough to see the doc. He offered me pain meds and I said, nah, I’m okay without it.

Pat

I got a huge splinter in my thumb from improperly handling a fir 2×12 joist. Went in on the bottom side of my thumb, right at the last joint. Never did manage to get it out, I can still feel it in there if I push on my thumb.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

I got a huge splinter in my thumb from improperly handling a fir 2×12 joist. Went in on the bottom side of my thumb, right at the last joint. Never did manage to get it out, I can still feel it in there if I push on my thumb.

Sometimes it takes months or a year for those kinds of splinters to come out. Sorry to hear you got injured like that and I hope it comes out some day.

I once got a big cactus spine jammed in my finger. It took a year for it to make its way to the surface. Hopefully yours will too.

Pat

Well, it’s probably been 8 years or more. I think it is permanent unless I cut it out.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

Well, it’s probably been 8 years or more. I think it is permanent unless I cut it out.

It really might be worth it to have it removed. It would only take 2 weeks to heal completely. Sounds like it’s distracting. I bet you’d feel better mentally if you got that removed. Otherwise your friends might think you’re gonna be a puppet some day 🙂 Just kidding!

Pat

One day, if I ever end up in a DR’s office, I may ask them about it.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Ouch, I’ve never been hit that bad by a splinter. I had a friend land in hospital from an Oak splinter though, almost ended badly but he made it out okay.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Then I felt the blood streaming down the side of my face

Dam that must have hurt! So sorry to hear about you head injury.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Anonymous

Back in my 20’s I smashed three out of the four fingers trying to hitch up a wagon to a forklift, My hand was is the wrong place. Blood squirted out from under the fingernails on all three and I lost all three nails too. Man that sucked big time, That took a long time to heal and grow em all back.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Then I felt the blood streaming down the side of my face

Dam that must have hurt! So sorry to hear about you head injury.

Head injuries are never fun. Are any? Lol but the head will bleed so much even from the smallest of cuts.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

!995, building in a subdivision.
    Frame the front garage gable wall w/ too doors.
    When trying to stand wall up, without wall jacks.
    ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING.
    Straps broke and wall start coming off plates.
    while attempting to get it back on the ground,
    I tripped and fell on my back. as I was falling , So was the wall.
    couldn’t hold it,
    Ankle and tib, fib broke in slow motion.

THATS WHY I’M A SAFTEY SAM, & HAVE A DISABILITY POLICY.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING.

I was gonna start a thread on jobsite injuries, but I found this oldie started by @Dabbs that’s been inactive for 2 1/2 years instead. I think this kind of thread is invaluable to help others by sharing their worksite mishaps, if not also to vent a bit when injuries do happen.

I read thru a few pages and I plan to catch up on reading the rest of it later to learn more. This thread is especially valuable imo when one describes exactly what they were doing wrong in order to help avert it in the future for others. And while I can’t stomach gory pics, please post them. I still have the high school shop class images of those films of where they are operating on somebody’s eye because the person didn’t ‘bother’ to wear safety glasses. I believe the goriness of those images from almost 40 years ago more than anything has caused me to wear my glasses when working than anything else. Gory images work for me!

Myself, right now I’m still dealing with a rotator cuff strain/mild tear from mid December. While it is getting better I still have pain and discomfort pulling my left arm up in certain directions.

I did this injury at the tail end of a trench dig to run electrical to my shed build. I had been working at that job every second or third day for two weeks and on the final leg I was anxious to finish the job of the refill and spreading out the mounds of leftover dirt from it before the ground froze. I went animal shoveling and raking with wildish swings trying to get my adrenalin up to finish that job long after the sun had set that day but the next day I woke up with the injured shoulder. The ground had indeed frozen overnite, but at least the backyard would look semi-normal for the winter. Now I wait to fully recover from my over exuberant folie. I can still do work, but I have to be careful what I undertake still, especially overhead work or high lifting.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Very old thread but interesting and useful info.

I was looking for a thread like this as I have had a few close calls and hard lessons. I was going to post here but it seems this thread has gotten stale. May be most guys don’t even look in this forum and instead hang out more in the jobsite talk forum?

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I think this kind of thread is invaluable to help others by sharing their worksite mishaps, if not also to vent a bit when injuries do happen.

It is a great idea to keep this thread going. It is always great to share injures or accidents so others can learn from them.

I have had a few close calls and hard lessons. I was going to post here but it seems this thread

Lets hear what you have to say and keep this thread from going stale.

I now a certified Joint Health & Safety committee member at my workplace. A JHSC member represents the workers & the employers in Ontario. Being a member of the JHSC I hope to be there for my co workers to take there questions and concerns to the JHSC and to the company. To have unsafe items repair or replaced. At the end of the day we want to go home the way we came to work.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Myself keeping from getting hurt is a all the time thing.. It can happen at work of away from work.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Myself keeping from getting hurt is a all the time thing.. It can happen at work of away from work.

This can be for most people. People can get hurt at home or crossing the street.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Viewing 17 posts - 141 through 157 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.691 seconds