dcsimg

Injuries From Working In The Trades

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 157 total)
  • Author

ewww

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

What did you do??

Pat

So the new guy asked me – How long will it take to be a professional?<br>
    I said, ‘When you look around the jobsite and see blood everywhere and then you realize that it belongs to you, that is when you will know the answer to that question.’<br>
    A few weeks later I saw blood on the floor and tools and yelled “Okay who is bleeding ?”<br>
    Everybody checked and It was the new guy!<br>
    We all cheered, slapped him on the back and took him to lunch.

Hilarious! We also say it’s not a good day of demo unless your bleeding at some point.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Brad that looks like it might be a little sore today. You got to fess up. Can’t just leave us wondering what happened.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

I carry quick clot in the truck but would NEVER use it if I was close to a hospital/in town etc.

I got bit by my 2″ hole saw yesterday. Jumped and the power of the makita tore the plywood I was cutting and it ripped my nail in half and slice my knuckle. fun fun

It’s one page back

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

yup, hole saw grabbed and ripped it up, nails pretty tender but not bad, should be good as new in a month or two 🙂

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

Ugh, I hate nail injuries. I put a #2 philips through my thumb a couple years ago. that sucked.

The guy I was working with the day I did that had a pretty good one. He had a ladder go backwards on him, landed on his feet. One foot on the lawn, one on the driveway. Split the ball of his heal. Every doc who saw the x-ray said it was a nasty break. he was over a year in pain. two before he could walk 100%

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Actually, the day you charge someone for your work is the day you are a professional.

I would rather think that’s it’s the day you become qualified in a profession, what that qualification is? Well that’s up to debate.

Ugh, I hate nail injuries. I put a #2 philips through my thumb a couple years ago. that sucked.

Wow, I’ve done that too. Blood everywhere.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Hit the big two… Nail and the knuckle. Nail throbs like mad and every time I move the knuckle I get a reminder to keep my hand out of the way next time.

Brad T

Not sure if anyone has posted this link to Stuart’s article (which links to an interesting forum thread elsewhere), but I am glad this guy is okay! Moral of the story: wear safety protection always 🙂

http://toolguyd.com/this-is-why-you-need-a-face-shield/

John S

Brad your nail injury reminds me of one time while I was framing. We were installing sub fascia. I was holding the sub fascia with one hand and nailing by hand with my Estwing 24oz. Waffle head framer. I missed and hit my thumb with a full blow!!

My partner was amazed…not one swear word (and I tend to cuss like a sailor usually), but it hurt so bad all I could do was hold my hand and close my eyes…lol. Instantly the nail turned purple. Lost that nail.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Wow – sobering John. The bench grinder is deceivingly dangerous, certainly deserves some respect. I’ll probably wear my shield more often after reading that.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It’s better already but it still hurts to do up my button flies

I had a really bad incident with a 3/4″ impact falling off a cultivator frame last fall onto my hand. I couldn’t use one of my fingers for over a month. I didn’t say a word either when it happened. Just a “we gotta go to the er”. It was a miracle I didn’t brake anything. We weighed the Impact wrench at just over 18lbs from 3 feet up.

Brad T

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

It’s better already but it still hurts to do up my button flies

Thats why zipper flies are better, One handed operation.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I just got a dumb injury. Are there smart injuries?
    I was replacing a tub spout and was lying on my back to tighten the set screw. When I was getting up I banged my head real good on the edge of the spout. I jokingly said to the person who was watching me, ‘am I bleeding?’ She said yes. Then I felt the blood streaming down the side of my face. I put my hand to my head and it was soaked in blood. I just laughed it off and went to urgent care to get a few staples.

Of all the tub spouts I’ve replaced, this is the first time I got hurt. Never knew a tub spout could be so deadly 🙂

Pat

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I just laughed it off and went to urgent care to get a few staples.

Holy crap, how many staples did you end up getting. That is crazy, but glad you are ok.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Ouch Pat. That’s gotta sting. I hate getting bonked on the head. Always seem to be big bleeder for me

Brad T

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, and to stay on topic, my finger from last night:

YUK!! As much as I always like pics in here I wish I wouldn’t have seen that one LOL. Dang Brad that looks like it hurt, You might be one handed for a while. I’ve used hole saws a lot and never had one get away from me before, And I hope I never do now

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just got a dumb injury. Are there smart injuries?<br>
    I was replacing a tub spout and was lying on my back to tighten the set screw. When I was getting up I banged my head real good on the edge of the spout. I jokingly said to the person who was watching me, ‘am I bleeding?’ She said yes. Then I felt the blood streaming down the side of my face. I put my hand to my head and it was soaked in blood. I just laughed it off and went to urgent care to get a few staples.

Of all the tub spouts I’ve replaced, this is the first time I got hurt. Never knew a tub spout could be so deadly :)

Dang that was dumb…. LOL I’m just kidding (you said it first) and I hope you’re ok. What part of your head was it? Ya poor thing I hate staples, Especially in the head. No pictures please, I’m still trying to forget Brads.

The collective experience of injuries from everyone here is a really helpful, sobering reminder to take using tools seriously… it is way to easy to get “used” to using things that are pretty deadly.

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.900 seconds