dcsimg

Injuries From Working In The Trades

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I had a cast on my foot after I broke it. It was bother9me and getting to tight. I went to the doctor and he agreed to take it off. I told him I ciold have done it with my OMT and saved a visit . He laughed said you carpenters have to many tools any more.

Fyi, the drywall blade will work well and the padding in the cast till protect your skin from the blade. It is not very sharp to begin with. Light pressure also. Then a safety siscors to cut the interior padding.

redwood
    Pro

OK, you guys that have arthroscopic surgeries need to see how it used to be done.

Here is my shoulder, I have similar ones on both knees.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Attachments:
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have had 5 scopes on my knees ( 3 Left 2 right )and now my left is slit up the front of the knee cap about 8″ for the replacement. It is amazing what they can do with scopes any more. Much less recuperation and rehab.

redwood
    Pro

Kurt, what is the reason for so much repair work on your knees. What type of work were you doing? I’ve been on my knees or climbing ladders my whole life. Probably can’t get a whole lot worse then that.

I need my knees worked on some more, but I’ll probably just deal with it until I can’t walk. They have good days and bad days. My lead guy, who has had 3 shoulder surgeries and a stroke, needs a knee replacement. Some of his problems with his knees date back to his college long jumping days and the training they had to do.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i didnt include having my right knee drained 3 times in a 6 month period only to then get a bursectomi only weeks after the 3rd draining.

this photo was taken minutes after having the 4″ incision on my knee cap, i had to wear a full leg cast for a week afterwords

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Attachments:
    redwood
    Pro

I had arthroscopic surgery on one of my knees done by the orthopedic doctor of the Oakland Raiders. It swole up and just jiggled. Finally after about 3 weeks, I went back to the doctor and had to tell him to drain it. He wasn’t going to do it and I said what’s the harm. He said it would just come back. I had them drain it anyways and it didn’t swell back up. What do doctors know?

What’s the redness from Jeff.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Yikes…there are a lot of injuries…I think folks need to be careful. Of course, working with tools and things has risk. Comes with the job and territory. I have had my share of injuries…just last year and impact wrench slipped off a screw and went right into my thumb above the nail…took 6 months to heal. I have also had wood kicked back and me and taken all the skin off my side…just luck I was not impaled. I always try to learn and in each instance I could have done something different to have prevented it. Some lessons are hard to learn.

Orange County, CA

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

When I had my shoulder done they surgeon wanted to do the full incision but the insurance company only approved the atroscopic surgery. I had to have my left knee drained once because of bursitis – that wasn’t much fun. I think the bursitis in knee hurt worse than the torn rotator cuff.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Man you guys are like the walking dead! Luckily I have never had any major injuries and the body is holding up. But I am 32 so ask me in a couple of years.
    Stay safe everyone!

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Mark, I ripped them up in high school sports and have just had problems ever since. I did not give up hard play until to late in life then the work just continued to cause problems.

When I had my knee replaced the surgeon said that I had the knees of someone 30 years older. I need to have my other one done but I am holding off as long as possible. My father just had one of his replaced for the second time, the first replacement lasted 17 years. I don’t want to go through that if I don’t have to. 17 years only gets my replacement that I have now to 60 they say the joints now are better but my father was almost retired when he had is done and worked a desk job. Even if I get 30 years out of it that only gets me to 73. all said I am glad I did it instead of waiting 10 years and suffering through the pain I had. I will gladly get it done again to eliminate 10 years of knee pain.

redwood
    Pro

Kurt, everytime I see your avatar I think it’s the back of someone’s head with a bad haircut. It’s slices of meat, right.

What is the rehab time for a knee replacement? Are there any limitations later?

My first knee surgery was from wrestling in High School. No arthroscopy back then.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I was up at a ski weekend for the last few days with a guy that had a silicone knuckle due to a table saw blade accident. We spent a good deal of time talking saw safety and he said he wont use a table that isn’t a stop saw. I made a lot of sense to me since his life will never be the same since his injury.

I was sawing today and thinking about what a blade could do. Sure glad the wife insisted on the Saw Stop. We have had other discussions about this subject here on BTP before so I will stop here.

I believe that ladders and improper use is another big cause of major injuries. I bet there are a bunch of stories from you guys about ladders.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Late one night I decided to do some work in my garage while everyone else was sleeping. As I’m coming down, I missed the last step thinking I was at floor level. Well, the ladder ended up on top of me and my drill went flying. Amazingly, I wasn’t hurt at all! But it woke my grandson up. He came out and said ‘Grandma, why didn’t you ask me for help before you did this??’ But, that’s what he always says, heeheehee. 🙂

Pat

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’ve been on my knees or climbing ladders my whole life. Probably can’t get a whole lot worse then that.

Running almost every day, carrying 70 lb bags on my back, wearing 30lbs of extra weight on daily basis for a year at a time, and who knows what else. Oh, and that for a little over 20 years. It’s amazing what years of abuse will do. When I was young I could take a 40 lb bag run 6 miles with it in 45 minutes. I don’t move anything that heavy any more if I can’t get it in my truck.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Mark, I was back pretty much at 90 percent within 6 – 8 weeks. I was Working at my desk within a couple of days. That is not normal, but when you are busy, and self employed, that is what you have to do. Most people of work for 6 – 8 weeks.

I was able to supervise on site within a week or less and it was when the home buyer tax credits were going on so. I had to do a lot of bidding and was able to sell 3 builds, a spec that I had and a 200k remodel in that first 6 – 8 weeks. That was about 8 months of work for us.

it seems whenever you plan a surgery like that , it always ends up being the worst time, just like planning a vacation. never the right time.

BTW, the Avatar is some slices of steak that I posted on the grillin topic

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

mark, if memory serves correct the redness is from the iodione staining my skin.. the surgeon applied it then wiped it off after he had me stitched and stapled however when i was dealing with my knee being swollen for 10 months i did have a cellutis infection as well which turned the area aroiund my knee pinkish

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Three plates 12 screws and a wire in my right wrist after a ladder accident. I think they put an A-35 in there as well!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If you want to feel safer while working in industry, some precautions you need to follow like wearing helmet.

safety helmets<br>
    Safety Spectacle Manufacturer

Hi Larry I see you are back spamming the post.. you already dropped that link over here remember?http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/safety-glasses/page/3/#post-93742

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Are you the only one that can see his posts? That or it’s been deleted already.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.310 seconds