dcsimg

Injuries From Working In The Trades

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

We’ve all had injuries from minor to major because it’s simply dangerous working in the trades, Whether it be from actual accidents or your body just wearing out I’ve realized it will eventually catch up to you. On or off the job accidents happen too so feel free to share what ya have. Here’s my latest major surgery from a year ago.

They took out a vertebrae and the discs above and below it and added a cage, then filled the cage up with my vertebrae pieces, Then screwed in a plate to the vertebrae above and below all that to hold everything together. So really, Drs are like carpenters too LOL.

And I’m having back surgery on Monday.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

ouch. I had a 14lbs impact wrench fall from 40″ on my hand last fall. I set it on the main rail of cultivator and was crawling out backwards on the floor on my hands and knees. Caught the air hose with my foot and pulled it off. Didn’t break anything and only hit one finger. VERY LUCKY. It’s still fubar with about 70% mobility

I’ll try and get a picture.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It was a weird one, it pulled my skin around the bone and puncture the skin on the bottom side as well. 5 stitches on top and 3 on the bottom.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I don’t have anything from one specific incident (maybe the bulging disks), but my body is pretty wore out.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I crushed a mandatory several years ago. Broke in finger pretty bad. Got two pins out of the deal

Broke a bone I my foot and dislocated four toes. The. Walked around NYC for a week before going to a doctor. Ended up with two screws out of that one.

To man uhh c uffs crushed finger nails and scrapes to mention.

Worn out knees to boot. Had one replaced at 43. Way to early.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

In 98 I had a 24′ long and 16′ tall concrete wall form about 3/4 full of concrete fall on me. I was on top of the form running the vibrator when the form went – I hit the concrete floor, wall form hit me. I was lucky, only broke a couple ribs, my nose, a finger, broke a 1/4″ chunk off my heel, and had a concussion. In the years since I have had a lot of back problems that I contribute to that event.

Other than that I have the usual smashed fingers, a fractured ankle from a floor joist rolling underneath me and I had to have surgery on my right shoulder (to very little benefit) for a torn rotator cuff.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

redwood
    Pro

Try to take care of yourselves, especially you younger guys. The toll the trades take on your body are endless.

I’ve not really had the types of injuries described above, but I have had lot’s of surgeries from worn out body parts and I still hurt all over.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

My worst is I was getting rid of a bunch of toilets in the dumpster and I cut my finger really good on the porcelain.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

hmmm broke my left thumb twice, sliced it open with a olfa knife,

sprained my ankle, thrown out my back, hyper extended my back, fell from a ladder and bruised my ribs,

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

My worst is I was getting rid of a bunch of toilets in the dumpster and I cut my finger really good on the porcelain.

That is a pretty shitty job.

I’ve busted a few mails, and have had some cuts as well, but I don’t count those.

Here’s a fun one…

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I fell from a ladder in 2000 got three plates twelve screws and a wire in my right wrist. I still only have about 60% mobility in that wrist. But I’m left handed do that is my saving grace.

That was not fun in any way shape or form! Yikes!

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Man, I’ve been fortunate. Some of you guys have been through it!

Resident Sign Guy

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I have 5 herniated disks in my neck, 2 were fused and 1 is too high up to operate on and it’s given me spinal cord compression. That was from working at Home Depot – the assistant manager insisted that I catch merchandise as he slid it to me down a 16 foot ladder rail. Home Depot’s doctor fully explained how HD is at fault – and he was the guy who was supposed to downplay my injury!
    But, other than that, I’m okay. Really sorry to hear about your injuries, guys. I’m amazed that you’re still working! I have great, great respect for you all…

Pat

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Drs are like carpenters too LOL.

Yea but the carpenters wood is already dead lol!

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Age has a lot to do with your wood being alive or not!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow some of this stuff is hard to read and watch, And I see we have some really serious accidents/injuries here in this little group.

Good point Dirty, I guess that’s why they get the big bucks, I read somewhere that OMT’s were originally designed for cutting bones by Drs in surgeries.

A Jobmax LOL

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

They were also designed to cut casts off without cutting the skin. Don’t know how that works but it does. I’ve had my share of casts cut off in my day.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Me too. I was in various casts for 10 weeks when I broke my wrist. The doctor asked me if I wanted him to put screws in or just leave it. I told him that I thought he was there to tell me these things.

Age has a lot to do with your wood being alive or not!

Yup, the older and longer wood has been left alone, the less life it has in it. You can treat it though to get it nice and stiff again.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.496 seconds