dcsimg

In need of trim advice?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  MrFid 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I just finished laying hardwood in my upstairs. It is 3/4 of an inch thick. The hardwood comes up to a bathroom door. I plan to lay tiles in the bathroom. Currently there is a linoleum which is pretty much paper thin glued to the floor of the bathroom. I plan to glue and screw either a 1/4 or 3/8 inch flooring over the linoleum so when I lay my tiles it will be even with the hardwood. Here is my question? There is a vanity in the bathroom. From the edge of the vanity to the ceiling there is a mirror. Do I

1-Remove the vanity and raise the flooring underneath it with either wood or tiles? I would then have to cut 3/4 of an inch from the bottom of the vanity so it will slide between the mirror and the floor.

or

2-Do I lay tiles up to the vanity. I would have to use some sort of trim around the base of the vanity. I am not sure how if at all bad would 2 pieces of trim look that are different colours? One piece would be from the vanity and the other would be from the baseboard.

Any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Any pictures Mark?

If you really don’t want trim, consider replacing the mirror. Pull the vanity and tile the full floor, then reinstall the vanity and a new mirror (or have it cut down depending upon the type of mirror.)

On the other hand, tiling up to the vanity is totally possible. Trim wouldn’t be 100% necessary, depending on how tight the tile cuts are. You could get a color matched caulking and apply it at the intersection of the tile/vanity and call it done (assuming you have a well cut tile.)

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We usually tile up to the vanity.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I think “best practice” would tile the floor under the vanity but, like Jon said, well cut tiles and a fine bead of caulk might take some time but will give a very pleasing result.

Life does not give participation awards.

...Gary Rogowski

RyanF
    Pro

I know this wasnt your question, but are you talking about glueing and screwing a 1/4″ or 3/8″ layer of wood over the linoleum, then tiling directly on top of that?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I would take out the linoleum with a heat gun to see how that plywood looks underneath. And go from there.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

I like what @jponto07 said

j

Ryan F, yes that was my plan. I tried to get the linoleum up when I did the kitchen floor and it was impossible. I put hardwood in my kitchen and I ended up going right over it.

I took some pictures last night of my vanity and how it meets up with the floor.

Attachments:

I will have to post the other pics later. I am having issues with my pc.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I like what @jponto07 said

Same here.

A third option if you wanna have the tiles running umderneath and not have to deal with the mirror is to remove the vanity and see if you can cut off the bottom enough to accomodate the thickness of the new tilling underneath. It may depend on how the bottom is comstructed and may dictate removing the bottom entirely and replacing imstead if possible, but keep in mind you also have to have enough toe kick clearance height to do what it is intended to do which is to accomodate one’s toes to fit decently umderneath.

But really, that may be a lot of work for nothing really gained other than having the tiles run underneath and the option of running the tiles to the edge of the base would suffice anyways as long as toe kick height is still good enough. The advantage is that in the future when you want to maybe change the vanity, you can do so much more easily unless you make a vanity to fit perfectly where the old one fitted into the depresssion around your edge butted tiles to it that were laid around the existing vanity.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

RyanF
    Pro

Ryan F, yes that was my plan. I tried to get the linoleum up when I did the kitchen floor and it was impossible. I put hardwood in my kitchen and I ended up going right over it.

The official answer would be to remove it and start over. Thats said, if it’s that difficult to get off, it’s probably ok to leave it.

I’d highly recommend against putting a layer of wood down and tiling directly over it. Youre much better using Ditra directly over the linoleum. You will get very close to 3/4″. If the tile is thick and heavy, a 1/2″x1/2″ trowel laid heavy over regular Ditra should get you there. Small tile and a smaller trowel, you could consider DitraXL instead.

Clev08
    Pro

Personally I would remove the vanity and take the new height difference off the bottom of the vanity. As for screwing wood down and tiling over the wood, Don’t! You need to have a tile specific backer board installed first, then lay your tile. These are just a few products you can use. If you tile over wood you are asking for cracks in your tile.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/underlayment-panels/georgia-pacific-reg-densshield-reg-1-4-48-x-48-tile-backer/p-1444431333242-c-5704.htm?tid=2386759912644338633&ipos=16

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/underlayment-panels/durock-trade-1-4-x-3-x-5-cement-board/p-1444445396153-c-5704.htm?tid=2386759912644338633&ipos=23

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Well first off, think about this, if you don’t tile under the vanity, and decided to change it a few years later?
    And as @sorpa mentioned, I would try to get that linoleum up. Just to verify that the underlying flooring is in good condition.
    I personally would tile under the vanity, then trim it to fit back in and under the mirror,
    But I have also just tiled up to cabinets before, different projects and different situations required other options.

You can go either way, just make sure that the floor under is in good shape,
    And use plenty of screws and glue.

Good luck, and looking forward for more pictures and updates

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

In my opinion it would be better to tile under the vanity. I’d either cut the bottom down, or raise the mirror if that’s an option.

Here are some more pics.

Attachments:

I hope this works.

I am leaning towards removing the vanity and cutting it down. I would like to lay tiles underneath it. I think this looks the cleanest.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I agree with others (and you) that the best route is the remove the vanity, tile the whole thing, then put the vanity back. Bear in mind that if you don’t replace the mirror, your vanity will feel 3/4″ shorter when all is said and done. That may not be a big deal, but if it’s on the shorter side already then losing that height may be exacerbating an existing problem (although maybe losing that height wouldn’t matter). Good luck! Keep us posted.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.517 seconds