dcsimg

In need of new wire strippers

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

For someone who just wants one what can you recommend ?

For general DIY use, I’d think that you’d want one with a wide stripping range, and in a range that you’d typically encounter – like the one Jon purchased, or similar.

These both also will shear 6-32 and 8-32 machine screws, have wire-looping holes, and are both USA-made:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080DPNQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000B632YO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=144X69HX4YYMWGN212JN

http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-45-416-T-Stripper-Stripper-Stranded/dp/B000B632YO

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’d think that you’d want one with a wide stripping range,

I was looking at some not long ago and found the ones with the wide range can be costly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d think that you’d want one with a wide stripping range,

I was looking at some not long ago and found the ones with the wide range can be costly.

I meant wide in comparison to some of mine pictured, which only do a couple of sizes, but they also strip the romex sheath. The ones I posted links for are only around $20, which is nothing for a pro-grade tool, I don’t think. They’d last a homeowner his lifetime, assuming they don’t burn them.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

I’m quite surprised at the price of those klein strippers. I’d have expected them to be quite a bit more.

I’d buy some, if I didn’t hate electrical so much.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m quite surprised at the price of those klein strippers. I’d have expected them to be quite a bit more.

I’d buy some, if I didn’t hate electrical so much.

Just about all of the strippers posted so far aren’t expensive….they just don’t seem to last as long as I’d like, in my experience. They tend to dull and cut poorly or hit a live wire and completely wreck them. Because of that, I thought I’d ask what everyone else has had luck with.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just received these to review on Friday afternoon. So far, I really like them, playing with them at home. I think they are like $43 at HD.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I just received these to review on Friday afternoon. So far, I really like them, playing with them at home. I think they are like $43 at HD.

I was checking out the different Klein styles online and did see those. They look much sturdier than your typical strippers and will do most sizes that a homeowner would need.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I do have my go to stripper but am always looking for a better stripper.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I was checking out the different Klein styles online and did see those. They look much sturdier than your typical strippers and will do most sizes that a homeowner would need.

where in toronto do they sell these? I think lowes has a small selection, but are there places to browse.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

where in toronto do they sell these? I think lowes has a small selection, but are there places to browse.

@r-ice
    Amazon CA
    Seem to be the only place.

— Glenn Botting

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@r-ice
    Amazon CA seems to be the only place. Search “Klein All Purpose Pliers”

— Glenn Botting

Konig
    Pro

I’ve got channel locks, work great for me

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Jaret, welcome to BTP. Drop by the new member thread and tell us about yourself.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Just a few of the very many that I own:

@Sparky603,
    I got a pair of Klein strippers for Christmas but I find the grips a bit bulky compared to other wire strippers I own. Guess it’s a preference thing??
    The rubber on mine are glow in the dark, maybe that has something to do with them being thick?

— Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I seem to prefer the curved grip wire strippers over the straight grip ones. Most all the same. I do have a pair of Knipex that are very nice but most of the time just grab whatever is closest.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I do have a pair of Knipex that are very nice

@theamcguy

Which model are the Knipex? I wasn’t aware that they made wire strippers…pictures?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Maybe he meant theses: Knipex 97-22-240 Crimping Pliers – MultiGrip. They are crimp ears and strippers. They also have automatic strippers. I have knipex linemans which are great.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Maybe he meant theses: Knipex 97-22-240 Crimping Pliers – MultiGrip. They are crimp ears and strippers. They also have automatic strippers. I have knipex linemans which are great.

How well do those automatic strippers work? I’ve got a bunch of wire that I want to strip down, just looking for some options.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How well do those automatic strippers work? I’ve got a bunch of wire that I want to strip down, just looking for some options.

I’ve seen the sparky using then and they look real slick.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

How well do those automatic strippers work?

I have a few pair and they work very well. Lots of different tool companies make them so quality is all over the place. You can them from Harbor Freight or Irwin Tools and everywhere in between. They all work the same.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.547 seconds