dcsimg

In need of new wire strippers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I finally killed my old wire strippers the other day. I touched a nearby live wire while moving wires in a box and dinged the cutter yet again.

I’d like a higher quality pair…what are you guys using? I used these Channellocks for a couple of years and I think I prefer this style.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Attachments:
    rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

Currently I own a Knipex Wire Stripper, but the price is a bit high.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Currently I own a Knipex Wire Stripper, but the price is a bit high.

@rylim

Do they make a pair similar to the ones I posted?

Jon P.
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’ve got the same Channellock wire strippers and have had them for years.
    I would replace with the same if that time ever comes.

I never use them near live wires, usually will stick needle nose pliers to pull a live wire, also channellock.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve got the same Channellock wire strippers and have had them for years.
    I would replace with the same if that time ever comes.

I never use them near live wires, usually will stick needle nose pliers to pull a live wire, also channellock.

I try not to….but in this case, the other wire in the box was live and I guess I bumped into it with my wire cutters. Generally I use a hybrid pair of electricians pliers for most of my work. They are basically a pair of needle nose with 10,12, and 14 gauge strippers

I do not believe Knipex makes a pair like what you posted. Check out the Greenlee 1950-SS wire stripper. May fit your needs.

I didn’t think so either. There is a lot on their site, so I wasn’t sure. I did see several pairs of automatic strippers, which I don’t have any interest in.

Jon P.
    Instagram

I thought someone said “strippers”. I’m sadly disappointed.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

oh good, i am actually looking for a pair of wire strippers too, I can’t keep borrowing @58chev ‘s

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I decided to try out a pair of Ideal wire strippers. They were fairly cheap and available locally. I like the curved handle design…fits my hand much better than the straight grip Channellocks I have.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I like the curved handle design…

I do too. The curved handle are better than the straight handle.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

I like the curved handle also…

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

This is the first curved pair I’ve owned( 4—5 of the straight type) and so far they seem much more balanced and easier to use. The textured grip on this pair helps out as well.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

I decided to try out a pair of Ideal wire strippers.

Good choice. I have many Ideal products, and have always found them to be on par with Klein. On the electrician forums, even many Klein devotees prefer Ideal’s strippers. I have a Klein pair as my main ones right now, but will be getting a pair of Ideal Reflex ones next. Channellock makes good stuff, made here in the USA, but that style of stripper you had is pretty archaic.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

I decided to try out a pair of Ideal wire strippers. They were fairly cheap and available locally. I like the curved handle design…fits my hand much better than the straight grip Channellocks I have.

I have that same pair and I like them a lot.

Inner10
    Pro

jponto07 wrote:I decided to try out a pair of Ideal wire strippers.

Good choice. I have many Ideal products, and have always found them to be on par with Klein. On the electrician forums, even many Klein devotees prefer Ideal’s strippers. I have a Klein pair as my main ones right now, but will be getting a pair of Ideal Reflex ones next. Channellock makes good stuff, made here in the USA, but that style of stripper you had is pretty archaic.

The ideal electricians scissors are worthless though…ideal is a little hit and miss. For the price you can’t beat channellock, for quality you can’t beat knipex.

That type of wire stripper have a relatively short life with heavy use.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I thought someone said “strippers”. I’m sadly disappointed.

It was a letdown for me too..

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve never even seen a curved handle like that, I like the idea. I do know I’ll never have another pair that have the cutter located on the end, Tooo many times I’ll be crimping and accidentally cut another wire in the process

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just a few of the very many that I own:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m preferential to Klein.

I don’t like the curved handle ones. And I really don’t like the combo stripper/crimper kind. I have dedicated crimpers for that.

My main one is the small, spring-loaded Klein stripper. I also have Romex strippers, which are pretty much my go-to for Residential work. And I have the bent-nose Romex strippers for trim-out. Very handy, but very one-dimensional.

Delta

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Just a few of the very many that I own:

Are they all the same, which one do you like the best. For someone who just wants one what can you recommend ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.411 seconds