dcsimg

Improve Smooth Finish of Curb/Gutter *Homeowner*

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    We have recently replaced the curb and gutter for the house as a part of the remodel and the inspector has flagged a section of the sidewalk as having poor finish. He wants us to attempt to improve the finish or he will have us replace a small portion of the curb and gutter.

He clearly told us that we can not patch this portion with new concrete, but we can try to smear over “Creamy part of cement” on it to give it a smoother finish. He would not tell us more about how this problem can be fixed. I am attaching a photo below to give an idea of what we are talking about.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated. What product/material should I get to fix this issue.

Attachments:
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have seen a lot worse.

I would look into an epoxy additive surfacing agent to put a fine coat of finish over the area and give it a brush finish.

I would think something like this TK product would work

epo-excel A rapid setting, 100% solids, high strength epoxy/urethane hybrid used to repair and patch concrete in a variety of applications.
    TK-EPO EXCEL PATCH
    Item No.: TK-EPO EXCEL
    A rapid setting, 100% solids, high strength epoxy/urethane hybrid used to repair and patch concrete in a variety of applications.
    Features:
    • Complete patching and repair system (including aggregate) for spalled and deteriorating surfaces
    • Working temperature of -20°F to 85°F.
    • Rapid setting – open to traffic in 12-15 minutes.
    • Convenient 1:1 mix ratio (by volume).
    • The pre-measured kit for ease of use on the job site.

Downloads: Technical Data | Safety Data

Hi,

We have recently replaced the curb and gutter for the house as a part of the remodel and the inspector has flagged a section of the sidewalk as having poor finish. He wants us to attempt to improve the finish or he will have us replace a small portion of the curb and gutter.

He clearly told us that we can not patch this portion with new concrete, but we can try to smear over “Creamy part of cement” on it to give it a smoother finish. He would not tell us more about how this problem can be fixed. I am attaching a photo below to give an idea of what we are talking about.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated. What product/material should I get to fix this issue.

Maybe @Miamicuse
    Or someone else can give you the proper advice about this , definitely not bad from what I’ve seen around our area , you mentioned house remodel , is that included the interior of the house also , if he snagged that , the inside better be in top shape and superior finish

Doobie

Not a real pro myself, but I would maybe use a concrete surface grinder to smooth it out. But I’d ask him first if that would be an acceptible solution before doing that or does he expect a patch up job.

It will show a bit where you grinded, but over time, the surface grinded area will get dirty with the rest and will fade from being so noticeable.

I surface ground my entire curb a few years ago from where I had a curb cut to widen our driveway. Where the curb cut was, it was bright fresh concrete for 3 feet. I surface ground about 16 feet or so to where the curb rose from the other end of the driveway to the first joint after. Gave it an overall better look and since then it had slowly dirtied evenly where I ground and where the curb cut was.

Found an old thread from 4 years ago I had started on my Bosch 5 inch surface grinder (older model now) with the video another former forum member took of me doing that job in this post here.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/new-bosch-cgs15-bosch-1773ak-5-surface-grinder-upgraded/page/3/#post-551115

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

but we can try to smear over “Creamy part of cement” on it to give it a smoother finish.

I would call this a patch. The inspector know his job or is just picking on you?

if he snagged that , the inside better be in top shape and superior finish

I was thinking the same thing.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I would think something like this TK product would work

I concur, I have seen worse patched with this type of product. It is easy to work with and it lasts. All I can say is very picky.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I will try to look into the Epoxy mix. The house remodel has been going on for many months now and I have dealt with multiple inspectors. All of them have been friendly and helpful.

The sidewalk/curb and gutter has a different inspector who is extremely difficult to deal with.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Found an old thread from 4 years ago I had started on my Bosch 5 inch surface grinder (older model now) with the video another former forum member took of me doing that job in this post here.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/new-bosch-cgs15-bosch-1773ak-5-surface-grinder-upgraded/page/3/#post-551115

That surface grinder works pretty slick. Good dust collection too. Good demonstration Kevin!

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Not a real pro myself, but I would maybe use a concrete surface grinder to smooth it out. But I’d ask him first if that would be an acceptible solution before doing that or does he expect a patch up job.

It will show a bit where you grinded, but over time, the surface grinded area will get dirty with the rest and will fade from being so noticeable.

I surface ground my entire curb a few years ago from where I had a curb cut to widen our driveway. Where the curb cut was, it was bright fresh concrete for 3 feet. I surface ground about 16 feet or so to where the curb rose from the other end of the driveway to the first joint after. Gave it an overall better look and since then it had slowly dirtied evenly where I ground and where the curb cut was.

That was a good video , really does a great job , and incredible how it makes a difference without dust extractor , it’s so unfortunate that it’s been discontinued , I wonder why , I definitely would have redeemed for that , I could see it being used to remove old epoxy from the floor after removing the tile , and a few other things.
    Is it still available online somewhere ,

Doobie

…..it’s so unfortunate that it’s been discontinued , I wonder why , I definitely would have redeemed for that , I could see it being used to remove old epoxy from the floor after removing the tile , and a few other things.

Brian, go read the thread title.

“NEW” Bosch CSG15 – Bosch 1773AK 5″ Surface Grinder Upgraded.

It was simply replaced by an upgraded model. The CSG15. A little more amperage and some other minor tweaks.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/concrete-surfacing-grinders-csg15-121041-p/

It used to be on the prize list, but after I got mine, Aaron (R-Ice member) tried to redeem for it some months later and was told there were no longer any of the 1773AK models left that I got, and they didn’t allow Jim to simply send him the newer model nor did they ever add the newer model CSG15 to the prize list.

Funny thins was, do you recall how recently I said that the 11264EVS rotary hammer was my first redemption on the forum when you were getting yours? Well, the 1773AK 5 inch surface grinder was my second redemption. I also redeemed later for the other grits of grinding cups for it.

…..it’s so unfortunate that it’s been discontinued , I wonder why , I definitely would have redeemed for that , I could see it being used to remove old epoxy from the floor after removing the tile , and a few other things.

Brian, go read the thread title.

<strong class=”gdbbx-bbcode-bold”>“NEW” Bosch CSG15 – Bosch 1773AK 5″ Surface Grinder Upgraded.

It was simply replaced by an upgraded model. The CSG15. A little more amperage and some other minor tweaks.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/concrete-surfacing-grinders-csg15-121041-p/

It used to be on the prize list, but after I got mine, Aaron (R-Ice member) tried to redeem for it some months later and was told there were no longer any of the 1773AK models left that I got, and they didn’t allow Jim to simply send him the newer model nor did they ever add the newer model CSG15 to the prize list.

Funny thins was, do you recall how recently I said that the 11264EVS rotary hammer was my first redemption on the forum when you were getting yours? Well, the 1773AK 5 inch surface grinder was my second redemption. I also redeemed later for the other grits of grinding cups for it.

😲😲 Thanks for the update , the cheapest price was big A but it’s not available , out of stock , tegs is pretty good price also ,

To bad it’s not on the list ,
    I’ll definitely keep my eyes 👀 for a deal
    It looks like a great tool to have , definitely great with the dust extractor ,
    Thanks again 👊

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Are you sure when the inspector said “smoother finish” he meant the texture of the finished C&G and not the acute angle between the top and face of curb? Down here that angle needs to be rounded off to a radius of 2″ or 3″ and they have a face form for it. As far as smoothing out the actual texture you can try grinding but most likely it will expose more of the aggregates in doing so. May be a thin layer of type S stucco triwrled smooth.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.429 seconds