dcsimg

I'm Sorry For Yet Another L-Boxx Thread, But…….

Tagged: 

This topic contains 86 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  CB 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 87 total)
  • Author

I’d like to see some of the egg crate foam that ships with pelican cases. If the tools you keep in the box are roughly the same thickness, you don’t have to cut the foam out for the tools, which makes it easy to adapt and change your system without redoing everything.

I recall a post from way back on CT that a guy would wrap his tools, batteries, etc. in plastic bags or plastic wrap and then spray foam the case interior. Set the tools in the foam and let it harden. Made a perfect molded insert. I never tried it but always that it was a neat idea. You could then spray paint the foam to whatever color you want too.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I’d like to see some of the egg crate foam that ships with pelican cases. If the tools you keep in the box are roughly the same thickness, you don’t have to cut the foam out for the tools, which makes it easy to adapt and change your system without redoing everything.

I recall a post from way back on CT that a guy would wrap his tools, batteries, etc. in plastic bags or plastic wrap and then spray foam the case interior. Set the tools in the foam and let it harden. Made a perfect molded insert. I never tried it but always that it was a neat idea. You could then spray paint the foam to whatever color you want too.

We did this once with a guys drills at work. He had a harbor freight case and when the spray foam insulation guys were at work they did his case. It took 5 guys to do it becuase we had to do it so quickly one guy sprayed it then imediatly another guy put the layer of plastic down then 3 of us put the drills chargers and batteries in and held them in while the foam expanded around it all. It work pretty good but he now has a L-Boxx 3D instead

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It took 5 guys to do it becuase we had to do it so quickly one guy sprayed it then imediatly another guy put the layer of plastic down then 3 of us put the drills chargers and batteries in and held them in while the foam expanded around it all. It work pretty good but he now has a L-Boxx 3D instead

Wonder if you could also use the expanding foam they sell at HD & Lowes that comes in the spray can?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

It took 5 guys to do it becuase we had to do it so quickly one guy sprayed it then imediatly another guy put the layer of plastic down then 3 of us put the drills chargers and batteries in and held them in while the foam expanded around it all. It work pretty good but he now has a L-Boxx 3D instead

Wonder if you could also use the expanding foam they sell at HD & Lowes that comes in the spray can?

I would think so Bill. I think the stuff for windows and doors would work well. Just don’t get it on your tools.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Probably not. I would think you would need a two part foam. The stuff they used expands 80 times in size and it takes about 3 seconds to expand. So he spayed in like a 1/16 of an inch and it was plenty. The foam cans don’t expand the same way

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I am sorry for bumping this thread as I also have a simple question which I can’t seem to find the answer after reading through many of the L-Boxx threads.

Is there somewhere I can obtain the interior height (minimum) of each of the L-boxx 1 1A 2 3 etc? I assume it is detailed somewhere but I can’t find them. I am trying to determine if certain tools may fit if I lay them down one way versus another, or if it can fit a drill standing up, etc…

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I am sorry for bumping this thread as I also have a simple question which I can’t seem to find the answer after reading through many of the L-Boxx threads.

Is there somewhere I can obtain the interior height (minimum) of each of the L-boxx 1 1A 2 3 etc? I assume it is detailed somewhere but I can’t find them. I am trying to determine if certain tools may fit if I lay them down one way versus another, or if it can fit a drill standing up, etc…

Good question – if there isn’t an answer listed somewhere I can try and get dimensions for you. I have a 1,2,& 3 so I can at least get you those. There is a little bit of a trick though, because the handle indent is a low point and it curves through most of the top, but then the spaces around that are a good 3/4” higher (or close to that).

Charlie

Instagram

CB
    Pro

Charlie, that is a very kind offer. I too, am interested in the INTERIOR dimensions of L-Boxx 1, 2, & 3.

Also, I am curious if the interior dimensions are any different with the redesigned L-Boxxes, due to the differences in handle indents, contours, etc.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Is there somewhere I can obtain the interior height (minimum) of each of the L-boxx 1 1A 2 3 etc?

It can be tough to determine if tools will fit based on dimension sizes alone as you can pack and repack the box in variety of ways to get stuff to fit.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You might have better luck listing the tool. Someone here may already have placed it in a boxx

For example, a skil77 worm will fit into an lboxx4 but diagonally top to bottom, leaving very little space for other stuff. So it fits, but takes a shocking amount of space in the biggest box. Same tool fits in a Maxi Systainer which may make more sense in a truck or shop setup

Doobie
    Pro

Good question – if there isn’t an answer listed somewhere I can try and get dimensions for you. I have a 1,2,& 3 so I can at least get you those. There is a little bit of a trick though, because the handle indent is a low point and it curves through most of the top, but then the spaces around that are a good 3/4” higher (or close to that).

Difficult question indeed and Charlie describes this quasi true sizing dillema well.

I just wouldn’t know how to truly pre-measure assuredly for a given tool that might be guesstimated as ‘close’ without actually physically trying it. Sometimes it’s a crap shoot unless you have them to try otherwise.

You might have better luck listing the tool. Someone here may already have placed it in a boxx

Indeed….what tool(s) are you considering Sami? That might be the best way to help you. Lot’s of us here have L-Boxxes and of course…..loads of different tools!

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I understand the cases have different vertical dimensions due to the indentations and contours. Plus once you put in foam or inserts that’s even less.

That’s why I think a “MINIMUM” will help. What is the minimum height. For example the 1 is a 4.5″ height. So the inside is less. So if where the handle is at is the lowest – is it 3.8″ or 4.2″, I would be interested in just that dimension. That doesn’t answer all the questions, but it will tell me which tool will DEFINITELY not fit vertically.

I think it’s too cumbersome to try and list out the tools and configuration and have someone try to fit.

There are some advantages to be able to stand a drill up (with battery) into a deeper box versus laying it sideways or at an incline over other stuff.

It’s not just about power tools, but also hand tools. Can I put a small bucket into a L-BOXX 3/4 and sit a caulk gun with two tubes of caulk straight down into it instead of laying them down horizontally? Things like that.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

If you use the L-boxx to store your power tools but do not use any inserts or foam, do your tools slide around inside the box?

Also, do you end up using all L-boxxes for all your power tools, meaning you will take your existing tools with their own hard cases of varying sizes, shapes and colors, and put them into the L-boxxes?

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

If you use the L-boxx to store your power tools but do not use any inserts or foam, do your tools slide around inside the box?

Pretty much yes. That’s what I would assume unless you stuff more tools in there.

Also, do you end up using all L-boxxes for all your power tools, meaning you will take your existing tools with their own hard cases of varying sizes, shapes and colors, and put them into the L-boxxes?

I have only L-boxx for my tools and I also import all inserts from Germany for my powertools.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I stuff too many tools in my Boxxes for anything to slide around.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

As your friendly neighborhood Bosch dude, I can help out.

Tell me what info you want and I will dig up what I can. You just want to know the sizes internally of the L-Boxxs?

Dadgineer
    Project Leader - Bosch Power Tools North America

Strange duplicate post….

Dadgineer
    Project Leader - Bosch Power Tools North America

Doobie
    Pro

Can I put a small bucket into a L-BOXX 3/4 and sit a caulk gun with two tubes of caulk straight down into it instead of laying them down horizontally? Things like that.

This is all using an L-Boxx 4.

The measurement accross the top won’t be the same along the inner bottom as the inner side walls of L-boxxes are tapered inward towards the bottom.

RyanF
    Pro

As your friendly neighborhood Bosch dude, I can help out.

Tell me what info you want and I will dig up what I can. You just want to know the sizes internally of the L-Boxxs?

@dadgineer

I think the idea is a simple reference sheet, like this…

https://www.tanos.de/007/En/HOME/PRODUCT_AREAS/systainer/Dimensions.html

I remember searching for an equivalent from Sortimo in the past and couldnt find anything, but maybe thats changed. I havent looked in awhile.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Strange duplicate post….

It’s not that strange here but common.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.527 seconds