dcsimg

I'm Sorry For Yet Another L-Boxx Thread, But…….

Tagged: 

This topic contains 86 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  CB 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 87 total)
  • Author

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I’m completely unfamiliar with these things, and am just now thinking of getting into the system.

One of the things I’m thinking of doing with it, is completely non construction related. I’d like to build a kit for portable Ham radio operating.

I’m looking at the L-Boxx 2, with a foam insert. Can the foam be cut for any shape you want, or is it pre-scored for Bosch tools only?

And is it water-resistant, or waterproof, and does it have any kind of seal or o-ring around the lid?

And lastly, are they durable, like what a Bosch tool would come in?

Thanks for any help.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Oh, and 1 other question: What is the difference between the L-Boxx 1, and the 1A. Is it just the insert, and the box is the same?

Delta

The inserts are the difference in the two boxes. Only foam I ever use (used) is the kaizen from fastcap. Great stuff in my opinion. Cuts OK and really holds up They are not rated as waterproof but hold up to water very well. If I was going to be outside for long periods of time, would have to think about the box twice. Just for short periods , yes. Think htere was a thread about the boxes and how they hold up to water. I have left a coupe of mine out during a heck of a storm and they did well. Just not sure if I would leave radio in it.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Thanks.

That Kaizen foam, can it be cut to any shape you want?

Delta

Thanks.

That Kaizen foam, can it be cut to any shape you want?

Delta

Yes, I use a long thin knife with the brake off blade, narrow one works best. And it comes in various sizes (thickness)

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I think the factory foam is the type that’s partially cut into many small squares so you just pull out the shape you want to make. As for water, there is no seal but the box has a lip protruding up overlapping the lid, so water wouldn’t simply flow inside if the box is placed flat.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

While somewhat durable, the L Boxxes would not take a huge hit. They are a thinner, harder plastic. If you are looking for durability and water proof, DeWalt is the way to go.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

While somewhat durable, the L Boxxes would not take a huge hit. They are a thinner, harder plastic. If you are looking for durability and water proof, DeWalt is the way to go.

Thanks. I was wondering how they compared to the DeWalt.

Delta

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I don’t know, I kicked mine down the stairs. Dropped it off a bench with a bunch of weight in it a couple times, dropped hammers on them and left them in the shower for 20 minutes.

My only complaint, they aren’t water proof. But they do a pretty good job of keeping the water out.

Get a 1A if you can. The lid has a hard foam piece that keeps stuff in the inserts if you use them. It can go on any L-boxx lid and is nice for use with other foam for things like radios or electronics.

It’s not a pelican case by any means, but they are pretty rugged.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

This is from one little tumble in my trailer. You can see the lid is cracked just a bit. I had to mess with it a bit for L-BOXXes to click on top of it.

I am not saying they are not durable, I’m just saying if that is one of your top 2 or three things that DeWalt might be the better choice.

I really do like my L-BOXXes. Everything has plus a negatives.

Edit: FYI…Out of all the forums I visit, this is the most horrible to upload images to.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Yes, Pelican are amazing cases, but also amazingly expensive.

someday I’ll probably get a Pelican for my HF portable, when I join ARES.

Delta

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I like my Dewalt cases as well….

At least he doesn’t want to use a systainer LOL 🙂

That tab where the click and go snaps together is what’s gong to be the downfall of the L-boxx. They should have filled in the back side. I had one bend there as well.

Brad T

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would say the Dewalt boxes are probably the most waterproof. The bosch foam is set up as 1/2″ squares so you can shape it to about anything. I do not know if Dewalt has precut foam for their boxes.

Most of my boxes are Bosch, but agree that Dewalt may be a better choice that

@thedude306, Brad thanks for adding the part about the top on the 1A, didn’t even think about that

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Ive been pretty happy with my l-boxes. They’ve been beat up quite a to it, but still work properly. They show wear, but nothing that impedes the function.

As for the foam, I don’t love it…its a bit difficult from work with as it doesn’t really cut well. The precut blocks are best suited for ripping out of place. If you are looking for a nice form fitting foam, it takes some work to get it there.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’m looking at the L-Boxx 2, with a foam insert. Can the foam be cut for any shape you want, or is it pre-scored for Bosch tools only?

And is it water-resistant, or waterproof, and does it have any kind of seal or o-ring around the lid?

The best way to cut the foam is with a hot wire foam cutter. Most soldering guns have the attachment or others here I think Brad may have made one. No O-ring seal on the L-Boxx so it would only prevent rain from entering.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Brad made one heck of a setup. It was nice, made professional looking cuts
    The best way to cut the foam is with a hot wire foam cutter. Most soldering guns have the attachment or others here I think Brad may have made one. No O-ring seal on the L-Boxx so it would only prevent rain from entering.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

At least he doesn’t want to use a systainer LOL 🙂

What’s the deal with the Systainers? Weren’t they the original?

Delta

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

One more question:

How many drawers go in the L-Boxx 3D? I see there are thick and thin drawers. Can you mix and match, say, 1 thick, and 2 thin?

Delta

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I use a hot wire cutter I made for cutting the foam. It works great but I prefer anything but foam for woodworking tools. Works Ok for non saw dust related stuff.

I keep one thick open drawer and one thin i-boxx in my 3D. It also holds 2 thick i-boxxes.

I think I have a drawing/picture somewhere of the different combos I will scan to show you the different arrangements. I think that 3 thin will fit but they don’t slide on the rails???

At least he doesn’t want to use a systainer LOL :-)

What’s the deal with the Systainers? Weren’t they the original?

Delta

Ya, I just found them pretty flimsy and the old style locking mechanism clumsy. It was just a joke more then anything being on a Bosch website.

I wasn’t a fan of opening up a stack mid way through either, it was too top heavy.

Brad T

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.409 seconds