dcsimg

IKEA cabinets

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Author

I have installed once with my dad, took a half day and hell a lot of energy. If you have the tools and power you can do it. Just make sure to get the right parts at the right place using the cabinet installing manual.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have installed once with my dad, took a half day and hell a lot of energy. If you have the tools and power you can do it. Just make sure to get the right parts at the right place using the cabinet installing manual.

Are you happy with Ikea cabinets?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

Whenever wifey mentions Ikea I just say “Never heard of them.” Lol!

Seriously though. In buddies video I understand that even though he’s got a woodworking shop, he just doesn’t see having the time to build the cabinets himself. I get that. I’ve come to more or less accept that as well. Too much crap to do already and the kitchen is way down my list as it still functions fine enough despite being 50 years old even though wifey would want the kitchen redone yesterday. But I’d be more inclined to go with somebody else than Ikea when I do get a ‘Round-Tuit’ on the kitchen. Maybe I’ll reconsider one day, but for now they’d be pretty far down my list of options for when we do redo our kitchen.

I did find this very smart and capable young lady who gives what seems an excellent pros and cons on her Ikea Sektions two years old kitchen she has. Go to the 8:30 mark for those who just want to hear her cons list on her Ikea kitchen experiences.

Seriously though. In buddies video I understand that even though he’s got a woodworking shop, he just doesn’t see having the time to build the cabinets himself. I get that. I’ve come to more or less accept that as well. Too much crap to do already and the kitchen is way down my list as it still functions fine enough despite being 50 years old even though wifey would want the kitchen redone yesterday. But I’d be more inclined to go with somebody else than Ikea when I do get a ‘Round-Tuit’ on the kitchen. Maybe I’ll reconsider one day, but for now they’d be pretty far down my list of options for when we do redo our kitchen.

I did find this very smart and capable young lady who gives what seems an excellent pros and cons on her Ikea Sektions two years old kitchen she has. Go to the 8:30 mark for those who just want to hear her cons list on her Ikea kitchen experiences.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>

<iframe title=”BRUTALLY HONEST IKEA KITCHEN REVIEW | CABINETS & SEKTION SYSTEM” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/5SEj53ZcTRU?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” name=”fitvid0″></iframe>

</figure>

Thanks for the video , that kitchen looks nice , funny my friend in the shop who is a plumber , they actually have a kitchen on order from Ikea , unfortunately this happened just before the covid19 , and he’s been given the run-around for the last few weeks , they did all the process of having a person from Ikea go to the house and measure , and all that stuff , but they just have been having a hard time getting things in order to have the kitchen processed , they even have a farm sink like that one in the video , his kitchen is approximately 10×10 I think he said it was around 10 thou , not sure don’t quote me on that ,
    Interesting video Kevin , thanks for sharing
    I like the look of that kitchen , and the counter is nice also , plus the backsplash to 👍

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

<iframe title=”BRUTALLY HONEST IKEA KITCHEN REVIEW | CABINETS & SEKTION SYSTEM” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/5SEj53ZcTRU?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” name=”fitvid0″></iframe>

</figure>

One of the main reasons we are changing the cabinets in our new house is due to the present layout. Also the present cabinets were built by the home owner. He built the base cabinets higher then standard heights. This could be a problem for us shorter people. As a family were all chopping at the bit to move into our new home. We don’t want to move into our new home until the bulk of the work is done. So I am hoping this can all be done in 3 weeks including moving in.

Thanks for video! Honestly I don’t see a issue with her Con’s

Here is a few video that I have watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-H3SczRL7s

Greg

Hey guys

Long time no see

In my garage/woodworking shop, I wanted to put in wall to wall cabinets for my tools – Ikea was faster and cheaper than the wood to build my own, and the fit just happened to work out to within half an inch of perfect, so I didn’t waste space on filler

Cheap shelves, no drawers, no doors, no hardware – just the boxes/carcasses. Cheap as chips and makes great storage for my wall of Systainers (two deep). Since then, I’ve added some drawers and a few doors for the messy loose stuff, but its easy to retrofit ikea at any time

Real, quality custom might be the way to go for a high end kitchen, but this was perfect for my need, and I would use ikea again in a heartbeat for something like a rental or a weekend cottage

Only tips – use a nail gun instead of hammering in 30 brads per box. Drill/driver with a sensitive clutch to not damage the particle board inside. Build a platform for them to sit on instead of fussing with their legs, or use the hanging rail (metal French cleat) and then level the front from there.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Hey guys

Long time no see

In my garage/woodworking shop, I wanted to put in wall to wall cabinets for my tools – Ikea was faster and cheaper than the wood to build my own, and the fit just happened to work out to within half an inch of perfect, so I didn’t waste space on filler

Cheap shelves, no drawers, no doors, no hardware – just the boxes/carcasses. Cheap as chips and makes great storage for my wall of Systainers (two deep). Since then, I’ve added some drawers and a few doors for the messy loose stuff, but its easy to retrofit ikea at any time

Real, quality custom might be the way to go for a high end kitchen, but this was perfect for my need, and I would use ikea again in a heartbeat for something like a rental or a weekend cottage

Only tips – use a nail gun instead of hammering in 30 brads per box. Drill/driver with a sensitive clutch to not damage the particle board inside. Build a platform for them to sit on instead of fussing with their legs, or use the hanging rail (metal French cleat) and then level the front from there.

Hey. Nice to hear from you. Thanks for your review on Ikea cabinets. Sounds like they have done good job for you in your garage/woodworking shop.

Greg

Doobie

Hey guys

Long time no see

Eric! Nice to hear from you. Big welcome back!

Sounds reasonable. Any pics you could share of that?

@montreal_woodworks

Hey guys

Long time no see

Nice to hear from you again , I think that’s a good idea , I might even go further and add glue

Hey guys

Long time no see

@montreal_woodworks

Sure. Please excuse the state of the shop – just got back from vacation so there’s a bunch of debris mixed in with the usual messy state

Shop

Also, sorry about the multiple posts… Seems I forgot some of the quirks of this site

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sure. Please excuse the state of the shop –

Looks worked in LOL, welcome back.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think it’s a decent shop , it’s not easy doing the shop /garage , but great idea for storage

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Sure. Please excuse the state of the shop – just got back from vacation so there’s a bunch of debris mixed in with the usual messy state

Looks good. How long have you had these cabinets?

Greg

Doobie

Hey guys

Long time no see

@montreal_woodworks

Shop

Looks like it did the job just fine @Montreal_Woodworks. So are they all Ikeas, the top and two bottom ones?

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

</figure>

I found this to be a very good review. The cons are not deal breakers for me.

Greg

Well that’s what you have to do is go with the budget ,

I had a few friends that installed Ikea kitchen cabinets ,

It not what we have to do. It is what we want to do. Ikea cabinets were our first choice for number reasons.

Just curious to know what made you change your mind ,
    Don’t take this the wrong way , I was just wondering , my friend is having his kitchen done with Ikea cabinets ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

It not what we have to do. It is what we want to do. Ikea cabinets were our first choice for number reasons.

Don’t take this the wrong way , I was just wondering , my friend is having his kitchen done with Ikea cabinets ,

That is a fair question. Watching Home RenoVision DIY changed my mind. I also found more positive videos on Ikea cabinets.

Just curious why your friend is putting in Ikea cabinets?

I’d have to say that IKEA can represent decent value for money for the homeowner assembling their own, sweat equity is cheap. But you cannot compare to solid material or fine grade sheet good (ply) construction, but very few are willing to pay for it. How many of us can even *afford* our own work if you factor in full labour costs? I build stuff for my family that I could not afford to buy retail, but I’d rather but in the sweat … to each their own.

This posted also helped too.

Greg

That is a fair question. Watching Home RenoVision DIY changed my mind. I also found more positive videos on Ikea cabinets.

Just curious why your friend is putting in Ikea cabinets?

I’d have to say that IKEA can represent decent value for money for the homeowner assembling their own, sweat equity is cheap. But you cannot compare to solid material or fine grade sheet good (ply) construction, but very few are willing to pay for it. How many of us can even *afford* our own work if you factor in full labour costs? I build stuff for my family that I could not afford to buy retail, but I’d rather but in the sweat … to each their own.

This posted also helped too.

They really do look good , both of those videos that have been posted , you gotta take the good with the bad , also not everyone has the same opinion on cons about the cabinets

My friend went with IKEA because of budget reasons , that and he’s a plumber by trade , and is extremely handy , we’ve done work together in the past ,
    He just felt for the cost and looks , he figured it’s a good fit , and after it’s all done , it looks pretty good ,

That and the fact that this is not going to be his last home , so he figures , that if he’s investing to much on a higher end kitchen , he probably won’t get a better return on his investment
    It’s all relative to the house area and so on ,

He’s already have had issues with them , they couldn’t find his plans and order , but that could just be because of the current situation with covid19 , they were closed , and then different people working on different sales orders ,

And yeah top-notch did an amazing job fitting in the Ikea kitchen , as long as you can compensate or modify and figure something out , you’ll be fine and I’m sure it’s going to look great , I can’t wait to see it getting updated ,
    Nothing like having a updated kitchen or bathroom , those are key to a house.

This is some of the work he’s done at his house , I’m sure he can make the IKEA kitchen look nice ,

And I’m sure you will also.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

My situation is similar to your friend. I think this might not be our last home either. Going with Ikea cabinets does fit our budget too. We want to do all the work before we move in. We will be doing a complete remodel of the kitchen.

When I was younger my parents bought new kitchen cabinets for our place. I am thinking this might have been in the late 70’s. I want say they were purchased from Sears.They weren’t the highest quality of cabinets either. They did last for over 25 years until my redid the kitchen.

I am sure your friend will make the Ikea cabinet work just fine. Looks like he does good work.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Going with Ikea cabinets does fit our budget too. We want to do all the work before we move in. We will be doing a complete remodel of the kitchen.

That’s the best time to do a kitchen, before moving in, no need to rush or cut corners.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.434 seconds