dcsimg

IKEA cabinets

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 99 total)
  • Author

I designed and installed our Ikea kitchen into a very awkward shaped kitchen. The choice of cabinets, fronts and interiors was ideal for what I needed. I did have to cut down a couple of the cabinets to fit around a very awkward shaped chimney breast and alcoves with gas fireplace https://cozzy.org/best-gas-fireplace-insert/ but the simple design of the cabinets made this an easy task.
    I have no complaints about the quality or value for money of Ikea kitchens and with such long warranties on all the products I feel that our kitchen will stand the test of time.

Wow this topic got heated in a hurry, I’d have to say that IKEA can represent decent value for money for the homeowner assembling their own, sweat equity is cheap. But you cannot compare to solid material or fine grade sheet good (ply) construction, but very few are willing to pay for it. How many of us can even *afford* our own work if you factor in full labour costs? I build stuff for my family that I could not afford to buy retail, but I’d rather but in the sweat … to each their own.

Will

Xedos
    Pro

There’s always someone that will work for less money the “we” do. That mentality is just a race to the bottom though.

It’s up to the end user to decide what he values most in a product or service – and what he’s willing to pay. Places like ikea offer choice to the masses. I can go pick out the stuff myself, or have help from a designer there. I can pack it all in my minivan or have it delivered. Put it together / install myself or have ikeaguy whip it up. This flexibility is appealing to many.

This choice, coupled with good design and good enough quality has made ikea the largest furniture purveyor in the world. You get, or remain there, by making garbage. People will be fooled once, but won;t come back if you don’t offer value.

Few people are going to think or argue the quality of an ikea bed or dresser, or sofa, is that of something from Lexington or Stanley. But you can’t go to a store today and buy a sofa or table without a designer/salesperson’s help and take it home with you. Does this make the better “quality” item not as good as the lesser one ?

For some (the internet gen), not being able to pre-select their widget online and then going to collect it later today without having to pullout their wallet or checkbook would be a deal killer.

My point to all of this is that choice is good, and sometimes good enough, really is.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Awe man….not impressed. Owner picked up the slack assembling pieces but….In our line of work we need to assess the whole room and improvise where needed.

The instructions are stupid….draw on the wall make reference marks….take a seat have coffee. hang….

We have different height cabinets than the directions and all of the references are to the bottom of rails. Our height is limited and does not comply with the suggest marks….. we’re off a 1/2″ plus like all old work, the floor and ceiling are all over the place. The legs can be adjusted but you need to adjust those marks and compensate. Unlike regular cabinets that you screw through the stretcher these hang on a rail so there is a clearance issue to lift over the lip. Then the rail has holes the size of dime that your supposed to fasten through into the studs with a key slot square washer. Stupid….I just drilled my own pilot hole and used GRK’s. Apparently no screws low

If its not enough of a hassle there are about 6 sets of drawings the owner printed out with changes on all over the place and to find whats what we had almost 200 boxes.

Very vague and not as user friendly as they are advertised to be. They suggest a taller backsplash, almost 22. I think its because the uppers are 15″ deep. Agh…

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Awe man….not impressed. Owner picked up the slack assembling pieces but….In our line of work we need to assess the whole room and improvise where needed.

The instructions are stupid….draw on the wall make reference marks….take a seat have coffee. hang….

We have different height cabinets than the directions and all of the references are to the bottom of rails. Our height is limited and does not comply with the suggest marks….. we’re off a 1/2″ plus like all old work, the floor and ceiling are all over the place. The legs can be adjusted but you need to adjust those marks and compensate. Unlike regular cabinets that you screw through the stretcher these hang on a rail so there is a clearance issue to lift over the lip. Then the rail has holes the size of dime that your supposed to fasten through into the studs with a key slot square washer. Stupid….I just drilled my own pilot hole and used GRK’s. Apparently no screws low

If its not enough of a hassle there are about 6 sets of drawings the owner printed out with changes on all over the place and to find whats what we had almost 200 boxes.

Very vague and not as user friendly as they are advertised to be. They suggest a taller backsplash, almost 22. I think its because the uppers are 15″ deep. Agh…

This sounds like a nightmare! I’m glad we don’t see this brand over here.

Wow, sounds like plenty of extra work, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a backslash that height,
    And with cabinets 15 inches in depth

Good luck with that,

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Ikea has their own way of doing things, for sure. The non-standard dimensions are the worst to deal with.

With a 22″ backsplash height and 15″ depth uppers, how does anyone reach into the uppers comfortably?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Xedos
    Pro

Poor design (6 sets of diff. plans, crazy heights,inaccurate list and dimensions, ect) is going to be a PIA whether you’re putting in a budget kitchen or one that cost six figures from fancy pants makers like Craft-Maid, Smallbone or Poggenpohl.

Likewise, crappy site conditions ( and designer mis-measurements) are going to make an install more difficult. Hanging rail vs. screw through stretcher / level legs vs. box base or shimmed sidewalls is a debate as old as the hills. One is not better than the other but everyone has their own preferences.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I haven’t had anything too do with Ikea cabinets. But I have put together a bedroom set.My wife got when we were first got together. The drawers on the dresser want to fall apart every once and awhile. I don’t want any Ikea stuff in my house any more.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I haven’t had anything too do with Ikea cabinets.I don’t want any Ikea stuff in my house any more.

The stuff is cheap for DIYers that don’t want to invest a lot of time or money but need quick solutions to household storage or furniture. It really is for renters.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So here is the before and after on this job.
    IKEA leveling legs are nice to adjust the cabinets but the rest I could live with out

No finish ends, there were applied mdf cover panels, cabinets were odd sizes. Installing an overhead microwave on upper cabinets 15″ deep was a hassle

Came out good but vague or missing information made the install stressful.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

IKEA leveling legs are nice to adjust the cabinets but the rest I could live with out

No finish ends, there were applied mdf cover panels, cabinets were odd sizes. Installing an overhead microwave on upper cabinets 15″ deep was a hassle

Well one of the reasons it came out looking good is definitely thanks for your experience and workmanship,
    Definitely looks good in the pictures, be interesting to see after a few years of use.
    I’m sure the clients are happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think the job came out pretty nice.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Came out looking really good for sure. Do the toe kicks clip on to the leveling legs in that setup?

I would be interested in durability as well.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Came out looking really good for sure. Do the toe kicks clip on to the leveling legs in that setup?

I would be interested in durability as well.

Yes they clipped on the legs. I chose not to use their system for the island and framed a platform with poplar trim for toe kicks. I was worried about the durability in the middle of the room.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

I didn’t realize there was thread on Ikea cabinets. I found it very interesting to read. We have thought about using Ikea cabinets in our new place. I know you get what you pay for.

I’d have to say that IKEA can represent decent value for money for the homeowner assembling their own, sweat equity is cheap. But you cannot compare to solid material or fine grade sheet good (ply) construction, but very few are willing to pay for it. How many of us can even *afford* our own work if you factor in full labour costs? I build stuff for my family that I could not afford to buy retail, but I’d rather but in the sweat … to each their own.

This pretty much explains why we will be looking at Ikea cabinets. I have found some pretty helpful videos.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I found it very interesting to read. We have thought about using Ikea cabinets in our new place. I know you get what you pay for.

I think they are easy and they ship easy as well. Those are the benefits if you are on a budget.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well that’s what you have to do is go with the budget ,
    I had a few friends that installed Ikea kitchen cabinets ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Well that’s what you have to do is go with the budget ,

I had a few friends that installed Ikea kitchen cabinets ,

It not what we have to do. It is what we want to do. Ikea cabinets were our first choice for number reasons.

Greg

Well then if that’s what you want to go with , happy for you , I’m sure it will be nice

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.336 seconds