dcsimg

IKEA cabinets

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have a co worker who redid his kitchen about 8 years ago, at first he loved his ikea kitchen, I saw him about two weeks ago, and guess what, he has 4 kids, and just redid his kitchen again, this time, he bought his cabinets from a cabinet supplier / maker, and to be honest, he actually had them install it for the 850 dollars, he figured that his time could be used elsewhere.
    Took them a day to install,

And yes those ikea cabinets have to be put together, just like the cabinets you can buy from those big box stores on the shelves,
    I’m definitely saying go with constructed cabinets from a cabinet maker.

I agree with Kurt about how solid the cabinets are from a cabinet shop compare to the assembled required type.

Well that’s the kind of thing I’m afraid of good thing is they don’t have for kids. LoL

I tried to talk him out of it and even gave them information to shop another price but they are set and I’ll do the best I can to make sure they are sturdy.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

I have a co worker who redid his kitchen about 8 years ago, at first he loved his ikea kitchen, I saw him about two weeks ago, and guess what, he has 4 kids, and just redid his kitchen again, this time, he bought his cabinets from a cabinet supplier / maker, and to be honest, he actually had them install it for the 850 dollars, he figured that his time could be used elsewhere.
    Took them a day to install,

And yes those ikea cabinets have to be put together, just like the cabinets you can buy from those big box stores on the shelves,
    I’m definitely saying go with constructed cabinets from a cabinet maker.

I agree with Kurt about how solid the cabinets are from a cabinet shop compare to the assembled required type.

Well that’s the kind of thing I’m afraid of good thing is they don’t have for kids. LoL

I tried to talk him out of it and even gave them information to shop another price but they are set and I’ll do the best I can to make sure they are sturdy.

I hear you, even though you gave the client the information, the bottom line is its up for them,

I’m sure you will make them better,
    Maybe add some construction / wood glue at the assembly ?

Good luck, lol to hear more about this.

Xedos
    Pro

Many of you come across as uninformed snobs.

So you have to assemble ikea cabs – so what ? Why does that make them bad ?

Someone has to assemble factory built or your local gee wiz best around built like a tank last 100 years cabinets too. Think a renound joiner , woodworker , craftsman is assembling most of them ? Hell No. Those guys are charging an arm and a leg and don’t even enter into the same discussions as ikea or any other factory cabinet that wage slaves put together.

For the price ikea is a good bargain. Remember the price is quite low. If you have a local “guy” that makes “quality” cabinets at the same price as an similar/identical ikea one ; then he is waaaay under charging and about to be out of business or you have no earthly idea what a “quality” cabinet is. Ikea uses decent particle board, and yes it will delaminate if you have a faucet leak overnight. Same as your “guys” veneered, laminated plywood or Mdf will to. The ikea hardware is good quality Blum just like your “guy” and thousand of shops across N. America and Europe buy.

Now , maybe your guy will do a 5piece cherry raised panel door and that’s something ikea won’t. But that’s not a bellwether of “quality” anymore than the high gloss orange door ikea does that your guy can’t match because he doesn’t have a million dollar spray line.

In terms of sturdiness , Ikea is sturdy enough. It”ll take stone or concrete tops no problem an easily last decades as will the Blum drawers. You may prefer a 5/8 maple dovetailed drawer, to a metal box but it’s not necessarily better quality. Some people find the sloped sides of Tandem Box easier to clean out than a square sided wooden drawer. Again , different strokes for…….

I’ll find quality issues with any box you care to present here and offer a higher quality alternative to them all. It’s just the nature of the industry since there is no real agreed upon standard of quality. Ikea represents a decent value for the price charged. There are certainly higher quality cabinets out there along with a higher price tag.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Gee,, Thank You Very Much,,,,but you could be the most uninformed snob

Ikea uses decent particle board,

I didn’t know there was a decent particle (chit) board

So you have to assemble ikea cabs – so what ?

At what people get paid here ,, nobody puts together cabinets!!! We get them per put together. They ship in from Oregon in box form. When you are installing one to 3 kitchens a day no one puts them together!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Xedos wrote:

At what people get paid here ,, nobody puts together cabinets!!! We get them per put together. They ship in from Oregon in box form. When you are installing one to 3 kitchens a day no one puts them together!

The assembly factor has to be accounted for as afar as labor goes. By the time labor is figured in cost savings disappear.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Glued backs and rails as well as dado’d face frames are wayyyyyyyyyy sturdyer than particle board boxes hung life a picture.

Either way as stated I install whatever customer decides to the best of my ability.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have been a cabinet maker for many years doing mostly all custom work.
    It is really sad the quality of the flat pack cabinets. We have put several kitchens in with the flat packs. Mind you they are flip houses.
    It usually takes 2 days to assemble a kitchen. One cabinet I counted 100 screws and a bunch of little angle brackets. Pure junk in my eyes.
    I can’t even buy the material to build cabinets for what they sell these things for. It pretty much boils down to you get what you pay for.
    Another gripe I have is when I unbox most of the bathroom vanities there is always a sticker that says “made in China”. I couldn’t compete with this when I had my cabinet shop.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

…and welcome back to BTP! Maybe just me but I don’t recall seeing a comment like that here before. Wow! What happened during your 2 year absence?

DWB is right; there is no such thing as “decent” particle board. It’s the lowest form of sheet goods there is. Ikea has effectively set the standard for bottom of the line cabinets. Sure, they work when you want to do a quick fix-up-make-nice then vanish into the night but that’s it.

nuff said.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

@smallerstick totally agree with you’re comments Peter,

@Xedos
    nobody is trying to be a snob
    We are just discussing about our opinion on some products and fabrication methods.

I have installed a few kitchens in the past, all were from a cabinet shop, never had any issues, plus I have installed a few bathroom vanities, both from big box stores, and from cabinet shops, definitely can see the difference in quality,
    That’s all we are saying

Doobie

I’ll find quality issues with any box you care to present here and offer a higher quality alternative to them all.

That right there shows how uninformed that you are.

Raving about Ikea amongst a group of tradespersons and woodworkers…..too funny!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like Bruce Matson cabinets. I don’t know how much they are used over there. Made in the USA all CNC cut and used in schools to very high end condos.

Xedos
    Pro

Gee,, Thank You Very Much,,,,but you could be the most uninformed snob

Ikea uses decent particle board,

I didn’t know there was a decent particle (chit) board

Just goes to show ya- you don’t know everything and can learn something new everyday. Particle board can be chitty; or not. Chinese commodity level from the BORG is certainly not good quality. But neither is their plywood. Triple layer waterproof furniture board like some of the European manuf. use is certainly not chit and will even outlast the plywood Matson uses in it’s boxes if you have a broken faucet hose under the sink. You’re entitled to your opinion about particle board, but don’t represent it as fact – especially when you are generalizing.

I don’t know the Island’s labor market as well as you do but I’ll bet a lot of guys there would assemble ikea boxes at $80- $120 an hour. That’s the going rate for ikea assembly on the Southeastern Mainland. Install is additional.

Xedos wrote:

The assembly factor has to be accounted for as afar as labor goes. By the time labor is figured in cost savings disappear.

Yup, just like any endeavor. Your savings erode when you go to the grocer to buy ingredients for a pot of soup or a steak dinner and then add labor to prepare them. People still do both. Many ikea customers like the ability to supply their own labor at zero outa pocket cost in order to save on the final outlay just like they do chopping vegetables, making stock and preparing that soup. Assembled cabinets don’t offer that – doesn’t make one way better or worse.

Even after paying for professional assembly, ikea is often less money than a comparable level kitchen. This is possible becasue they leverage a HUGE supply chain for savings that most manuf. can’t match. You’re going to pay more for Blum or similar full extension softclose drawer runners then ikea. Period, end of story. This is reflected in the price. Is see plenty of so called custom “quality” local cabinets that use drawer runners that are of lesser quality than Blum. That’s not my opinion.

Glued backs and rails as well as dado’d face frames are wayyyyyyyyyy sturdyer than particle board boxes hung life a picture.

Either way as stated I install whatever customer decides to the best of my ability.

I’ll agree with as long as the backs are 5/8″ or thicker and have been mechanically fastened as well. However, many makers are pocket screwing the faceframes onto the boxes. That isn’t going to win you an engineering prize though. So, the devil is in the details.

All I said was that ikea boxes are stout enough to carry stone counters for decades. Of course there are stronger boxes.

…and welcome back to BTP! Maybe just me but I don’t recall seeing a comment like that here before. Wow! What happened during your 2 year absence?

DWB is right; there is no such thing as “decent” particle board. It’s the lowest form of sheet goods there is. Ikea has effectively set the standard for bottom of the line cabinets. Sure, they work when you want to do a quick fix-up-make-nice then vanish into the night but that’s it.

nuff said.

Thanks, nothing has “happened” . I simply haven’t found any topics or fan boy postings of “look what I bought today” inspiring enough to post in.

Dirty is not correct, and neither are you if you believe there isn’t decent particle board. (see above) You may prefer plywood to particle board, but that doesn’t make ply “better”.

I also disagree that ikea is standard for bottom of the barrel. If you got around and looked I think you’d find that distinction is probably more fitting for the flat packed Chinese imports peddled by the shiploads at the buy here pay here used car type operations in major metro areas. The stuff ronin mentions. A close runnerup is the ready to go line on the shelves at the BORGs – though those have “real” wood face frames for those of you that like to hang your hats on that sales talking point.

But………my opinion only. I certainly don’t have any quantitative data to measure whether cheap china is worse than domestic BORG crap or if either is worse than ikea. But your contrary opinion can’t be backed up by any data either.

I’ll find quality issues with any box you care to present here and offer a higher quality alternative to them all.

I’m not raving about ikea. All I’m saying is they represent a decent buy in the marketplace and shouldn’t be poo pooed out of hand. They are inexpensive cabinets. I’m sure all of you have inexpensive “cheap” tools in your arsenals right ? Or are all of you geared up only with Mafell, Lie Nielsen, Bridge City, Starrett, Klein, and Stabila ?

I’ll bet ALL of you have tools made with inferior chit plastic, wire, steel,motors, and batteries. Does that make them poor tools ?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.
    @Xedos wrote:

Thanks, nothing has “happened” . I simply haven’t found any topics or fan boy postings of “look what I bought today” inspiring enough to post in.

Then why not post up some pics in a thread you start about a project you do or your work??? Truly you must have skills? Or maybe you’re all talk?

redwood
    Pro

There is ALWAYS something better out there, you just have to be ready to pay for it.

Ikea is what it is and is never going to be confused with top of the line furniture or cabinetry.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Welcome back @redwood . Haven’t seen you on here in a while.
    Are you doing ok?

Doobie

Sorry….Re-submitted below.

redwood
    Pro

Welcome back @redwood . Haven’t seen you on here in a while.
    Are you doing ok?

Thank You Ron, I’m doing fine just plugging away at little projects. I posted a few times in the woodworkers topic a few weeks ago, if you want to see one of my pieces.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

I’m not raving about ikea. All I’m saying is they represent a decent buy in the marketplace and shouldn’t be poo pooed out of hand. They are inexpensive cabinets.

Point taken. And re-reading my initial response while drinking a morning coffee, I may have come accross harshly. Then again, calling people snobs kinda gets people’s backs up ya know.

There’s a market for Ikea, totally true. Thing is, there’s a market for the crap Walmart sells too. To me, it’s ‘save money today…but spend more in the long run’, type of math to me and to the geniuses in the Ivory Towers at places like Ikea and WM. It’s what places like Ikea and Walmart type of places prey on. Perdy up front and cheap, but far from perfect, or durable for that matter.

I have some marketing education in my background and there is a true distinction between the words ‘cheap’ and ‘economical’. One is for suckers, the other is for those looking to truly save money and live within their means in terms of their true meanings, even though in advertising, one should never use the word cheap in their catch phrases and use save/economical instead for those purposes. Cheap has a beyond frugal conotation of being too miserely.

I’m sure all of you have inexpensive “cheap” tools in your arsenals right ?

Honestly….nope. If I do, they’re hidding pretty good in my army of tools.

Actually, I shouldn’t say that too quick. I’m about to donate my last few Milwaukee tools. That brand has just been crap for me, although others may differ in their experience with them, ‘Red is Dead’ to me. Too many bad tools I’ve owned of theirs.

I’ll bet ALL of you have tools made with inferior chit plastic, wire, steel,motors, and batteries.

You bring up a good point. Most people don’t realize that cheapo plastic grades are prevalent in most Big Box store bought tools along with inferior/gut parts. I myself have bought very few tools other than Bosch tools here in Canada at Lowes in BB stores in well over a decade now.

We’re lucky here in Canada in that respect…..Lowes carries a lot of Bosch lower need tools as they are essentially catering to a DIY market but also carry many other pro tools as well. Bosch stuff is good stuff all around with few exceptions. I don’t have any of those ‘exceptions’ I can think of, but that’s maybe from being on this Bosch run forum for so long I have been able to steer clear of the few that crop up. The older 12V ‘dustbuster’ style vac comes to mind, but there are without doubt like in any tool line others, I’ve been luckily spared…..’Knock on Wood’….lol.

I know from reading others comment that Lowes Bosch offerings in the US are sparse/limited.,,,here, it’s the opposite. I’ve benefited plenty with ‘discontinued’ or ‘clearance’ items on Bosch tools over the years. Nothing wrong with them, just Lowes doin’ their BB thing with slow moving product or whatnot to my benefit for the most part. It’s been one of the unsuspected advantages of joining this freebie tool BTP forum tool site.

I got really focused on Bosch tools and started to discern where I could take advantage of it in the retail landscape here in Canada as it laid. I’ve done very well at it. In all, I’d say that my Bosch retail purchases at Lowes alone have been at least 40% off overall if not more. It’s impossible to add it up frankly. I’m giving a conservative estimate here off the top of my head. We’re not talking a few tools either. I’m probably over 50 Bosch tools bought thru Lowes alone.

Keep in mind, these were rarely savings via some kind of weekly flyer saving….no, not at all….you had to either be on their website scouring for for some clearance item, which with Lowes here in Canada was often surreptitious at times insofar as how much it really was in savings, or for the most of it be in the actual store to find them in clearance mode that was non-advertised/available otherwise without being there and present. You had to know to know your prices versus other retailers and a host of other factors. It’s work saving money!

I would often be in proximity of a couple of Lowes stores doin some early morning routine and after a while, I’d just jump in there to look at what was discounted insofar as Bosch tools without any need for being in that Lowes for anything else. This really paid dividends for me. Just doin it as an exercise in my travels whenever possible.

Thankfully, I am my own business owner and can do these things when amenable. A reg Joe would have a hard time doing similar to what I did. Especially when there was a tendency in Lowes or Home Depot for that matter to do in store price clearances in overnite hours that favours contractors and not the regular public.

Ya, I believe they do this as such with purpose in mind as such. Regardless, I have a ton of Bosch tools, for which I am very grateful to this forum for getting me up to speed and on a good ‘page’ with Bosch offerings.

I always respected Bosch, and have had their wares prior to joining here at BTP, but it got super accelerated once I came here, especially since I had been lookin for a new battery platform to adopt at that time.

I gotta say, I’ve recently also jumped on the Makita platform now as well as they are another quality manufacturer, but for which Bosch did not offer some household/gardening and specific Pro tools that Bosch offers. Makita has always been in my high regard also. I have a 40 year old drill of theirs that still works, and Japan made stuff nowadays is a good choice in my books.

Bosch is actually a brand that hasn’t yet ‘split’ offered different lines of their tools for consumer level consumption via BB stores and had secondary higher end pro lines in more dedicated tool stores. I commend them for that. So many brands play a ‘game’ of having multiple seemingly tools similar in both locales which are quite different from one another insofar as quality. It’s a nefarious marketing practice in my books, but most reg folks don’t know it is happening. They just go for that brand name. Another suckerism…..heinous!

You look for brands either made or at least designed in the US, Germany, the UK, or Japan in my books. Most everything else is hit and miss in my books. Some other western Euro country stuff can be surprisingly superior, but you need to do your research first before pulling the trigger. Cadex (Italy), Sola (Austria), Fein (Sweden), are just the few that come to mind in that regard right now. There are others….lots….homework time. Buying thru dedicated tool retailers is a good practice to obtain a quality plethora of tools. Just shop it online also. Some tools can vary dramatically in price from one retailer to the next.

I gotta say, I’m probably purchasing 90+ percent of my tools online nowadays and no, Amazon is rarely the cheapest place although they tend to carry what I’m looking for, even here in Canada, the vast majority of the time. They’re typically 10% or more higher than the mean price I find on the same stuff I find elsewhere.

Search Bots that the Bosch prod page links you to are not perfect either….one needs to work beyond them also on their own.

I’ve never used those ‘Shop-It for Best Price’ portals either. Always figured those sites would do crappy things with cookies and stuff on me….don’t want that crap.

Did I get off-track here somewhat? No matter…..FWIW.

EDIT: Had a horrid time trying to post this. I went and did some deletion of sorts of key markers and in trying to rescue this long winded post to a best form possible this is what it ended up as.

Please read and follow accordingly as such. My apologies.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would have to say that my resistance to Ikea cabinets is not as much the cabinets themselves, you always get what you pay for. It is the assembly and the labor. We made a decision to go to custom cabinets in our projects years ago as a way to save labor. We do have time to install cabinets on most of our jobs, the guys that install every day do it so much faster , let alone assemble them.

nowadays labor is at a premium and we can not spare it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

nowadays labor is at a premium and we can not spare it.

I think this sums it up..There are people to assemble the boxes and no they don’t get paid what we do.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.561 seconds