dcsimg

IKEA cabinets

This topic contains 54 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  TopNotch 2 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Never installed them before looking for some feedback.

Face frame, boxes, particle board, Shakey, solid?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

WE have had several homeowners say they were going to use them to save costs over our cabinet supplier. In the end, they went with our supplier. they realized they could not save what they thought they would.

in the last couple weeks we stayed in 2 apartments that had IKEA kitchens. while the kitchens were attractive, the durability and sturdiness, were just OK

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Care to expand on that sturdiness/Ok?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

with all the click and go assembly, they just do not seem to hold up as well or be as solid as a standard cabinet with all the glued joints and conventional construction in lieu of the assemble on site.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I can honestly say I have used them twice; first and last time. For a quick fix, they seem to work ok but just ok. They are fragile and need to be assembled very carefully. The particle board is not forgiving. Fasteners need to be VERY carefully driven so as not to strip. I would question their durability, too.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

with all the click and go assembly,

While click and go is easy if you are looking for longevity traditional glued joinery will last a lifetime.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RyanF
    Pro

I can honestly say I have used them twice; first and last time. For a quick fix, they seem to work ok but just ok. They are fragile and need to be assembled very carefully. The particle board is not forgiving. Fasteners need to be VERY carefully driven so as not to strip. I would question their durability, too.

I never had a problem. Were you by any chance using a Phillips bit during installation?

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

My wife has been at me for years to re-do our 1969 kitchen. It’s still holding together fine, but it is definitely old and ugly. I just have other projects in line ahead of tackling the kitchen that are more important and major usage add-ons than replacing what are still functional kitchen cabinets.

With that said, every time I see the Ikea flyer come in the mail, I make a point of immediately tossing it in the blue box. Not only would I not want Ikea crap in my house, but I just don’t want to have her looking at those flyers and starting her up with chomping at me ‘when are you gonna do our kitchen?’ routine. It’s rough at times getting her to understand there’s a certain order that things need to be done in.

But in regards to what I think of Ikea….if you buried me in an Ikea coffin….I’d probably come back from the dead! Lol!

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I never had a problem. Were you by any chance using a Phillips bit during installation?

I have only used the supplied hex key for box assembly.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Whoa whoa whoa…… I have to assemble them? Not included in my time.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

RyanF
    Pro

Ha. Yes. Pretty straightforward, but certainly have to account for your time.

@smallerstick

Gotcha. Almost everyone ive heard complain about Ikea screws have been people using a Phillips. Ikea uses pozidrives. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

I have a friend who is a cabinet maker. People will bring IKEA items and ask him if he can fix the problem. His response is I am sorry you bought from IKEA. He calls it straw board versus particle board. It is not durable and yes, do not make a mistake assembling. It will be hard to recover.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Ha. Yes. Pretty straightforward, but certainly have to account for your time.

@smallerstick

Gotcha. Almost everyone ive heard complain about Ikea screws have been people using a Phillips. Ikea uses pozidrives. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Definitely worth mentioning. You’re right, the hardware is all PZ fasteners which most DIY folks know nothing about. A philips driver will work in a pinch but won’t give good results.

@topnotch Yup, they are all flat packs, assembly required.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I have a friend who is a cabinet maker. People will bring IKEA items and ask him if he can fix the problem. His response is I am sorry you bought from IKEA. He calls it straw board versus particle board.

It’s the equivalent to paper mashee if you ask me. Spit on it, and it starts deteriorating.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I have a friend who is a cabinet maker. People will bring IKEA items and ask him if he can fix the problem. His response is I am sorry you bought from IKEA. He calls it straw board versus particle board.

It’s the equivalent to paper mashee if you ask me. Spit on it, and it starts deteriorating.

That’s another very good observation, Kevin. Moisture tolerance is absolutely nil. Do not use is an environment where any amount of moisture may be present.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

they ship flat, like all IKRA stuff. “some assembly required” may be an understatement

That’s another very good observation, Kevin. Moisture tolerance is absolutely nil. Do not use is an environment where any amount of moisture may be present.

Good point Peter. That is one of the stories my friend shared. Someone brought in a night stand. The drawer was stuck. It had swelled with the humidity and could not be budged.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

they ship flat, like all IKRA stuff. “some assembly required” may be an understatement

I wouldn’t mind the assembly part of it…..it’s their reputation for premature self-disassembly I’m weary off. Lol!

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Yes Im told their coming knock down flat. They have a mounting rail to hang on as well. Legs covered by applied trim.

Also odd ball sizes compared to standard cabinetry, at least its not in millimeters

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I have a co worker who redid his kitchen about 8 years ago, at first he loved his ikea kitchen, I saw him about two weeks ago, and guess what, he has 4 kids, and just redid his kitchen again, this time, he bought his cabinets from a cabinet supplier / maker, and to be honest, he actually had them install it for the 850 dollars, he figured that his time could be used elsewhere.
    Took them a day to install,

And yes those ikea cabinets have to be put together, just like the cabinets you can buy from those big box stores on the shelves,
    I’m definitely saying go with constructed cabinets from a cabinet maker.

I agree with Kurt about how solid the cabinets are from a cabinet shop compare to the assembled required type.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.187 seconds