dcsimg

If you could only have 5 Power Tools…

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 156 total)
  • Author

My answer is wood oriented, but I think the table saw is one of the most versatile tools.

Table saw
    Jigsaw
    Router
    Impact driver (can drill and drive with this)
    Not really sure for the 5th, maybe a sander?

Difficult to just pick 5 tools. :)

Table Saw
    Band Saw
    Floor Model Drill Press
    Lathe
    Router

Funny, Ive never even tried 3 of your 5… never touched a band saw, drill press, or lathe…

yellaD
    Pro

I see the Mark V on kijiji sometimes, I’ve wondered about the usefulness of ALL the machines on there. My list of 5 is pretty much my only 5 POWER tools, so far…LOL

mitre saw
    makita 1612 router
    jigsaw
    drill/driver
    ROtex+Ct36

I am willing to accept donations! 🙂

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

#1= My mind
    #2= A health Body
    #3= Reliable transportation
    #4= 7¼” Skil saw
    #5= PowerBoxx 360

Doobie

#1= My mind
    #2= A health Body
    #4= 7¼” Skil saw
    #5= PowerBoxx 360

This man is on another ‘plane’ from the rest of us! 😉

Doobie

Now that I think about it, if I could only have five power tools I would take up another pursuit.

It’s like if you could only have five items of food. It ain’t gonna happen!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Now that I think about it, if I could only have five power tools I would take up another pursuit.

have you never heard of Spam? What else could you possibly need? lol

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Difficult to just pick 5 tools. :)

Table Saw
    Band Saw
    Floor Model Drill Press
    Lathe
    Router

Funny, Ive never even tried 3 of your 5… never touched a band saw, drill press, or lathe…

Eric, you need to get out there and live a little. LOL

I am willing to accept donations!

I have an inexpensive 4″ planer.. 🙂

#1= My mind
    #2= A health Body
    #4= 7¼” Skil saw
    #5= PowerBoxx 360

As we age I think the first two would be a necessity. 🙂

Dirty, #3 Don’t you mean reliable as in “Never stolen” 😉

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

yellaD
    Pro

#1= My mind
    #2= A health Body
    #4= 7¼” Skil saw
    #5= PowerBoxx 360

Sounds totally like something somebody from Hawaii would say…

BTW, what’s a 4″ planer? Is it like Bosch’s 3 1/4″ power planer PLH181BL, only 4″ wide?

Doobie

Funny you mention Spam. My wife and I both rediscovered this as a quick snack item we both ate as kids. I actually went and bought a whole bunch of different brands and we took notes of which brands we liked best. The best tasting ones were actually the cheapo no name ones. We found that in the ingredient list if it listed chicken as the first ingredient before pork they tasted better.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Funny you mention Spam. My wife and I both rediscovered this as a quick snack item we both ate as kids. I actually went and bought a whole bunch of different brands and we took notes of which brands we liked best. The best tasting ones were actually the cheapo no name ones. We found that in the ingredient list if it listed chicken as the first ingredient before pork they tasted better.

I loved SPAM when I was a kid, still enjoy it once in a while but try to stay away from it, my body doesn’t burn fat as fast as it used to.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

(1) 7 1/4″ Skill Saw
    (2) Impact Driver
    (2.5) Drill Driver
    (3) Sawzall
    (4) Miter Saw
    (5) Table Saw

yellaD
    Pro

If I could have a Wish List of 5 tools that I don’t have:

Mafell P1cc jigsaw
    Mafell 55 or Festo TS75 Track saw
    Festo Domino XL + seneca adapters
    Festo t18 drill + accessories
    router, preferably a OF2200 or mfk700

Well I reread my original post and actually it is pretty much the same. However, if I had to swap one tool out I would replace the track saw with a bandsaw. It is more versatile overall. I use mine for any repetitive rips and other cuts. A well-tuned bandsaw is surprisingly accurate and it can take a piece of rough stock and with the right blade and set-up you can get straight and square stock without the need for jointing or planing.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

(1) 7 1/4″ Skill Saw
    (2) Impact Driver
    (2.5) Drill Driver
    (3) Sawzall
    (4) Miter Saw
    (5) Table Saw

Isn’t #1 and #5 redundant?

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

(1) 7 1/4″ Skill Saw
    (2) Impact Driver
    (2.5) Drill Driver
    (3) Sawzall
    (4) Miter Saw
    (5) Table Saw

Isn’t #1 and #5 redundant?

I suppose to an extent, yes. Choosing only 5 tools is tough. I could more easily choose only 5 tools to bring to an any given job, but to choose only 5 for all jobs is just not realistic.

I will say that the skill saw, impact, and the sawzall come off the truck all the time. So those three tools are essential for the work I find myself doing on a regular basis. But after that it could be any assortment of other tools.

yellaD
    Pro

Well I reread my original post and actually it is pretty much the same. However, if I had to swap one tool out I would replace the track saw with a bandsaw. It is more versatile overall. I use mine for any repetitive rips and other cuts. A well-tuned bandsaw is surprisingly accurate and it can take a piece of rough stock and with the right blade and set-up you can get straight and square stock without the need for jointing or planing.

That requires an amazing bandsaw, and amazing bandsaw skills! I have neither, but I do agree it’s a must!

Doobie

That requires an amazing bandsaw, and amazing bandsaw skills! I have neither, but I do agree it’s a must!

A lot of tasks the bandsaw does you can do with a good jigsaw.

A lot of tasks the bandsaw does you can do with a good jigsaw.

That is true, bbut when it comes to resawing nothing beats a bandsaw in my opinion. I love my jigsaws too. Each has their place. Gary Rogowski is a well known woodworker from Portland, OR and in an article in FWW magazine he said that he could build just about anything with just three tools – a bandsaw, a router and a chisel. When you think about it, he is right. The only tool I would add to that list would be a good smoothing plane or a sander to aid getting a fine finish. But, you can size stock with the bandsaw. You can joint, shape and thickness with the router, cut joinery with the router and with the bandsaw and fine tune things with the chisel, drill with the router and the list goes on. Not that this is the most efficient by any means, but it is an exercise in maximizing a tools functionality.

Orange County, CA

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Is a nail gun a power tool?

Skill saw
    Impact/drill driver
    Sawzall
    Portable planer
    Radio

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 156 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.750 seconds