dcsimg

If you could only have 5 Power Tools…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 156 total)
  • Author

What would they be? You can only have 5 (does not include accessories for them or hand-tools). I also do not count a shop vac of some kind in this list as that is another given tool. Mention the brand and model if you have something in mind and the reason. Of course this is going to be largely dependent on what you do. For me, I make furniture and cabinets and so my list is geared more to those applications. At first I thought it would be somewhat easy, but I found it to be really difficult to pair the list down to just 5.

Fortunately I do not have to limit myself, but if I did, here is what my list looks like:

1. Festool OF2200 Router — have to have a router and you can do surfacing, profiling and joinery with this one tool — a must have. This is the single best hand power tool I have ever used – a true engineering marvel and an example of a manufacturer getting everything right.
    2. Mafell P1CC Jigsaw — woodwork is made up of more than straight lines and then jigsaw is mind-blowing with its accuracy and power.
    3. Festool RS2E 1/2 Sheet Sander — this is THE “type” of sander every furniture maker needs – we work in flats and nothing beats a 1/2 sheet sander for this application.
    4. Festool “C” or “T” series drill — only because of the interchangeable heads — a drill is a must-have for anyone.
    5. Track Saw – currently Festool TS75 – furniture and cabinetry does contain straight lines and a track saw can accomplish most of this type of work with ease. Straightlining and edge-jointing are two other applications of this tool.

Now, if I could have a few more items because 5 is so limiting, here is what I would add:

6. Bandsaw – this is the main stationary tool every woodworker should own – well tuned, you can get remarkable accuracy. Resawing, curves, ripping, joinery – can all be done with this tool. You can even surface material with one and get straight and square stock.
    7. Festool DTS Sander – a delta head sander is a really nice addition for getting into corners and the DTS is a gem.
    8. OMT — for all those times when it is the only tool that will work. Do not use it every day, but when you need it, you need it.
    9. Hammer Jointer/Planer Combination – yes, I put it as one tool because that is what I own and it is, well, one tool and one foot-print. This in the extended list as a router can do all flattening/surfacing – it would just take forever doing that method.
    10. Festool Domino 500 — this one is tough — I actually like the XL more and it is in my top three favorite power tools. But, the 500 is a bit more versatile simply because it can do 4mm and 5mm sized mortises. Granted it is not as deep as the XL, important for doors and large pieces like beds and tables, but you can stack the cuts to increase strength and the ability to use it for casework and reinforce miter joints makes it edge out the XL, if I were limiting myself.

Orange County, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Great list. Not sure I have much to add. I have more bosch then the festool you listed but basically the same items. I would have to add a vacuum.

Not one tool, but I would have a REALLY hard time giving up my makita cordless system. From drills and impact drivers to circular saw, jig saw, and the sawz-all. It’s not “furniture making” precision, but I wouldn’t be without it for a lot of work I do.

A miter saw would be high on my list as well. I seem to use it a lot, and doing trim work I would be lost without it.

I guess I didn’t follow your rules…

Bosch Router
    Festool Miter saw
    Mafell track saw (I use a circ saw on a guide)
    Makita cordless drill
    Bosch Vacuum.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Interesting choices, and I think this has so much to do with what you do. Picking 5 for me would be easy for my current job.

Drill – Love my Bosch 18V drills right now and no reason to change them.
    Miter Saw – Either the Axial Glide or the Kapex. I want to upgrade mine more than I really need to right now. If I had to chose now on one, it would be the Kapex because of the weight savings.
    Jobsite Table Saw – I like my Dewalt becuase it has the rack and pinion fence system.
    Impact Driver – The Bosch dual head impact. This way I could do bolts, and screws with the one system.
    12V Driver – I again have a Bosch and am happy with it. It’s really nice having such a little driver for interior work. It doesn’t weigh much or take up a lot of space, I don’t see a down side.

Now, if I had to pick 5 I want:
    Miter Saw
    Track Saw
    Router
    Drill
    OMT

I think I could do most anything I wanted with that list.

I do mostly remodeling… my life would suck if I could only use 5 power tools.

Miter saw
    Track saw
    Drill
    OMT
    Router

Anonymous
    Inactive

I see a miter saw and track saw are common items, And I don’t have either one….yet.

For what I’ve been doing lately I’m getting by with
    Drill
    Impact driver
    Jigsaw
    Circ saw
    Sander

Pretty lame I know

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Man, this is a tough one. For most of what I do, it would have to be these 5:

1) Track Saw TS55 (Can I have the MFT that works with it – that’s an accessory right?)
    2) Kapex Mitre Saw (I have this on the way, pretty pumped about it but also still stomaching the cost even though I got a deal on it)
    3) MRC23 Router with the two bases
    4) Bosch 18v Drill
    5) Bosch OMT

I was going to put the ROS65 sander as #5, but I realized I’d rather sand by hand than have to do plunge cuts that with, and I do use the OMT a lot.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

For my line of work it would be:

1. DDS181 Compact Tough Drill/Driver, IDS181 Compact Tough Impact Fastening Driver COMBO KIT

2. Hilti TE 1500 AVR Breaker or the SDS-max® Demolition Hammer

3. Grinder

4. Stihl 420 Concrete Saw

5. Sawzall

A Working Pro since 2004

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Tablesaw
    mitersaw
    circular saw
    drill
    omt

Can hand nail, sand or plane anything if I had to.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Boy..only five power tools…

1. TS55
    2. Kapex
    3. Bosch 1617
    4. Dewalt baby table saw
    5. Air compressor

If cordless tools count as “power” tools then I am screwed…lol! I would have to remove the Dewalt table saw and replace it with my cordless combo kit…the kit counts as one right?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man I can’t decide??

Inner10
    Pro

I could live with 5 power tools easily.

Cordless Drill/Impact

MultiMaster

SDS Hammer Drill

Right Angle Drill

Grinder

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I hope I never have to just pick 5. I like my toys to much.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Man I can’t decide??

Now Dirty – I could see you have 5 Rigid Jobmax’s!! 🙂

Orange County, CA

I hope I never have to just pick 5. I like my toys to much.

Fortunately most of us probably will not have to pick…but sometimes it is kind of fun to think about how you would get something done a different way. I sometimes force myself to limit my tools on a project just to get me to think differently and try something new.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well the list will very from person to person..
    1- 7¼” Skil worm drive
    2- Big sawsall
    3- Hitachi framing gun
    4- Air compressor!
    5- ½” drill

Well the list will very from person to person..<br>
    1- 7¼” Skil worm drive<br>
    2- Big sawsall<br>
    3- Hitachi framing gun<br>
    4- Air compressor!<br>
    5- ½” drill

And no Job Max…I would have thought that would have made your list…

Orange County, CA

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

If I could only have 5.
    miter saw
    worm drive
    cordless drill/driver
    OMT
    cordless framer

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Thatkid
    Pro

Well the list will very from person to person..<br>
    1- 7¼” Skil worm drive<br>
    2- Big sawsall<br>
    3- Hitachi framing gun<br>
    4- Air compressor!<br>
    5- ½” drill

Lol that’s almost the same as my list but I would want to have a cordless drill b

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I wouldn’t count a framing gun as a power tool…but it’s a must have.

If I go with what I have, the top 5 I use would be..

Bosch 4100 table saw
    Festool CXS drill
    Kapex miter saw
    Bosch Colt router
    Bosch palm sander

That was what I Used last week the most… I was doing trim. If I’m building a deck or framing or siding the list would change…

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Man I can’t decide??

Now Dirty – I could see you have 5 Rigid Jobmax’s!! :)

Would he only be able to use one head for the jobmax?

Pretty lame I know

It’s not lame if you can get done the job you are doing.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 156 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.633 seconds