dcsimg

If you can't go cordless…. Bosch 1617 Mod

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

For me, half of the hassle of a cord is having to coil and uncoil the thing, and then reach over a million things to plug it into the nearest bar or my vac. The other half is having a cord catch.

I couldn’t fix the second part, but the first already has a solution out from Festool. Their Plug-It cords attach right at the tool, and swap easily from tool to tool. Easy enough to have a vac hose and plug-it both running to my extractor – very convenient

So, I decided to order the plug-it female end (tool side) as a replacement part, and wire it to my 1617 router. Besides needing to know that blue maps to white and brown maps to black, it was easy to wire up.

Now I have a tool that can be easily put away without having to wrap a cord, and I can move the cord from tool to tool instead of having a bunch of loose cords underfoot. No idea what gets this treatment next – maybe my 1250DEVS sander? Ideas?

I also have this one set up with an Oneida router dust hood. By far the best dust capture setup around – and it provides a clear base for the 1617. Beats the black one.

I can clip in one of a couple of edge guides too, to capture from above and below at once

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

For me, half of the hassle of a cord is having to coil and uncoil the thing, and then reach over a million things to plug it into the nearest bar or my vac. The other half is having a cord catch.

I couldn’t fix the second part, but the first already has a solution out from Festool. Their Plug-It cords attach right at the tool, and swap easily from tool to tool. Easy enough to have a vac hose and plug-it both running to my extractor – very convenient

So, I decided to order the plug-it female end (tool side) as a replacement part, and wire it to my 1617 router. Besides needing to know that blue maps to white and brown maps to black, it was easy to wire up.

Now I have a tool that can be easily put away without having to wrap a cord, and I can move the cord from tool to tool instead of having a bunch of loose cords underfoot. No idea what gets this treatment next – maybe my 1250DEVS sander? Ideas?

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/8NIk-pE9ItM?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ gesture=”media” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Wow I really like at cord set up. Very nice. I hate it when cords catch something when you focus on what you routing. Thanks for sharing.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

TheDude Has a good thread on that type of plug hack.. does anyone know where it is??

TheDude Has a good thread on that type of plug hack.. does anyone know where it is??

Yup

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/alternative-for-plug-it/

That one got me thinking about this years ago when I was a lurker

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I’ve been gone a while… What happened to the Dude?

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Awesome mod to your 1617 router. I believe thedude306 had all his bosch tools with some brand plug equipped. It was pretty cool

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

I think it was Neutrik Powercon connectors.

Orange County, CA

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

VERY clever…
    That could be a good idea for any corded tool for use with dc.

j

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

*dust collection. Not direct current

j

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve been gone a while… What happened to the Dude?

He’s a farmer and has been very busy with farming. I think he got thousands of acres.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I like that mod! The Festool plugs look a lot slimmer and lighter than a standard twist lock would be.

I don’t know if I would consider doing the same to a 1250DEVS. The extra long cord and the vac hose work well for me. It stays plugged in and ready pretty much all the time on my assembly table. Open the blast gate and start work!

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What happened to the Dude?

He checked in about a month ago. Like Dirty says he is a farmer and is really busy this time of year. Hopefully he will be back. I really miss his posts.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I also have this one set up with an Oneida router dust hood. By far the best dust capture setup around – and it provides a clear base for the 1617. Beats the black one.

I can clip in one of a couple of edge guides too, to capture from above and below at once

I like the dust hood. Still has lots of visibility.

It really does, and theres no fiddling around to add on the edge hood to it. Just clip it in.

I do wish there was a better alternative to having a million bases though. They are a PITA to constantly swap. So, I can’t use this hood with the OFA 32 base because it also needs to screw into the bottom…. But the Bosch plunge dust hood is decent and will work, so I will use that with a different 1617 for rail work….

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

@montreal_woodworks, nice solution to the cord issue. I also like clear bases making it easier to see what is happening.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Definitely a nice add on,
    I would consider this for sure, Looks like it’s getting everything

CB
    Spectator

That’s what I liked about the older American made Milwaukee tools… the cord unplugged with a twist lock collar directly at the tool. I have a 20 year old and a 30 year old pair of Hole Shooters, as well as a couple of older SawzAlls with this quick cord disconnect feature. Very handy. Wish the new Chinese Milwaukee still offered this, and wonder why other tool companies like Bosch don’t?

Makes putting tools away and replacing damaged cords so much easier. I spent a day rebuilding 3 old Porter Cable sanders due to bad cords… damaged from dry rot, not from sanding. I put springs on the cords before threading them through new rubber strain reliefs. The springs help suspend the cords away from the work higher and further than the strain reliefs do by themselves.

Nice hack on the 1617. I have a 1613EVS that I would consider doing that to, but my concern would be the weight of the Festool connector a few inches down from the cord. Just by looking at the photo, I would be concerned that the weight would be like an anchor, or the end of a pendulum, that would force the cord down in immediate proximity of the work, getting in the way of travel. After using your mod for a while, has this ever happened to you?

One thing that the springs do on the cords of my sanders is elevate the cords upward away from the work. Or at least far enough away from my hands and direction of travel. And the old Milwaukee tools with the cord disconnect at the tool… the weight of the connector wasn’t an issue because the connection took place on the tool itself, and didn’t dangle a short ways from the tool. So this is the reticence I would have about converting my tools to the Festool cord set up… the weight of the coupling connection dangling a short distance away and still within the immediate proximity of the working zone of the tool.

Has this been an issue for you, now that some time has passed having this mod in place?

Nice hack on the 1617. I have a 1613EVS that I would consider doing that to, but my concern would be the weight of the Festool connector a few inches down from the cord. Just by looking at the photo, I would be concerned that the weight would be like an anchor, or the end of a pendulum, that would force the cord down in immediate proximity of the work, getting in the way of travel. After using your mod for a while, has this ever happened to you?

No, never. The festool plug pigtail is quite stiff, so it doesn’t droop into the line of fire at all. I really see no drawbacks to this mod and have no regrets. I have a half dozen other tools that are next in line to receive this upgrade when I have the time. It sure is nice not to have to deal with a bunch of power cords. I like to leave one plugged into my vac and just swap the tool at the other end of the plug-it.

Fantastic set up. I just bought the Kreg table so freehanding with the 1617 isn’t going to be an issue where I’ll need to change out the cord now but I’m thinking about getting the newer Colt for freehand stuff and this might suffice. The 1617 is still an awesome router though. I’ve had mine for a few years now and it is a quality machine.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.556 seconds