dcsimg

IDH182 Stuck Bits

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Hey @boschtoolsservice I’m having some problems with my IDH182. Since I got it I’ve had a lot of issues with sticking bits. I don’t change bits often since I usually use a quick change magnetic adapter. Last night I wanted to put on a socket and the bit was more stuck than ever. I had to clamp the bit in a vise and hammer the bit out while pulling back the quick release collar to get it out. In the past I’ve almost always had to pull out with Vise Grips. Is there anything I could do, maybe trying lubricating the bits or something else to try to help it out? The tool is otherwise functioning great and I’m really happy with it.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I get that once in a while, usually tapping the bit on it’s side a couple of times will loosen it. once in a while it will take a pliers. The impact action will work hard to “stick” a bit in the chuck. I would try removing the bit occasionally and reinstalling it. that will make the jamming action start all over and should keep it from getting extremely stuck.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Yeah, last night was probably the first time I can remember where I had to pull the bit. It took a lot, my full strength with vise grips did nothing for it and had to clamp a small vise to the bit and then hammer on the vise with one hand while holding back the release with the other.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve had to use pliers a few times to get a driver bit out of mine, I’ve been using a holder most of the time lately just to use up all the 1″ bits I have. I also made the mistake of slipping a 1″ bit in it just to get me by with one screw, I won’t do that again LOL

I haven’t had any bits get stuck INSIDE of the chuck but this weeken I was using the impact socket and a 1/2″ socket got stuck on the anvil. I ended up extracting it but the spring on the anvil came partially off. I was able to push it back into place.

@mattryyc I don’t know about anyone else, but I haven’t seen Bosch CS respond to that tag in a long time… It may be better to just give them a call :/

John S

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@mattryyc I don’t know about anyone else, but I haven’t seen Bosch CS respond to that tag in a long time… It may be better to just give them a call :/

Their profile says it’s been 6 months…

Tapping the bit/holder laterally has helped me with my Makita. It will occasionally get stuck like you’ve described, although not quite so badly.

Have you investigated the possibility that the bit itself is the issue? Have you tried others?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

My Makita will do the same thing from time to time. Most of the time I can put the driver in reverse for a couple impacts and then the bit comes out fine.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I used to have the same problem with my ridgid impact it was a pita. Every time I wanted to change a bit I has to hit it a couple of times on a hard surface.

Yeah, last night was probably the first time I can remember where I had to pull the bit. It took a lot, my full strength with vise grips did nothing for it and had to clamp a small vise to the bit and then hammer on the vise with one hand while holding back the release with the other.

Just curious, is that the black impact ready bit holder, if it is not the impact ready. that might have something to do with it, maybe the metal is softer on the non impact ready and it tends to torque and basically twist and jamb inside the 1/4 chuck.

Attachments:
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve never had bits get stuff in my Milwaukee stuff, but sometimes 1/4″-shank stuff will get stuck in some of the extensions I use. Usually a whack or two on something will get them unstuck.

This is good to know. Haven’t had it happen – yet from the sound of it. Like Boschmanbrian, I wonder if the bit itself contributes to the problem.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Yeah that bit is the impact adapter I’m pretty sure came with it, but problem persists with a Milwaukee bit I just tried. Even without ever impacting with it I need to put pliers in it to get the bit unstuck again. Weird.

Is there any scoring on the bit holder so that it is digging into the bit itself?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s stuck bit problem has to be a PITA. I don’t think I could deal with that very long with out slamming it into the nearest wall.

The only issue I have had with mine is not getting power sometimes. I have to take the battery off and back on and that has fixed it. An intermittent problem.

Orange County, CA

My Makita will do the same thing from time to time. Most of the time I can put the driver in reverse for a couple impacts and then the bit comes out fine.

This is what I do also. Bit quality seems to affect the problem. The cheaper, softer bits will turn slightly in the socket and wedge themselves in the hex portion. Once a bit starts doing that I throw it out. It will only get worse.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Maybe some buildup or damage inside the chuck? Might be worth a try with a q-tip and some thinner just to see what’s in there..

Maybe clean it and put a little graphite in it

--Steve

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Would a little wd40 help?

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

This is what I do also. Bit quality seems to affect the problem. The cheaper, softer bits will turn slightly in the socket and wedge themselves in the hex portion. Once a bit starts doing that I throw it out. It will only get worse.

I was going to say the same thing. Sometimes they get kind of squished in there, and reversing will put the back in the position that they need to be so they can be removed easily.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.602 seconds