dcsimg

IDH182 impact driver, I love this thing

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My other issue I’ve been having is that the sockets I’ve used (I really just have one for removing e bike rack off our car) don’t stay attached firmly. Is that something any of you have experienced?

What model IDH do you have?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@theamcguy 182

Charlie

Instagram

Attachments:
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@cmeyer25 oh yah the 182 is great for driving screws, love it. Don’t know how i lived without it before.

@madman_us
    my lug nuts are set at about 83 f/lbs and perhaps the lugnuts are rusty but i have to break them before i hit it with breaker bar before the idh182 before they’ll loosen some of them.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Got the bit that was stuck out of the IDH182 Impact driver. Never had that happen before and I can promise you I will never use that bit again. Grabbed it out of the communal bit box and that was a mistake. Will only use my own bits forward.

how did you remove the bit chris? @utopia78
    It never happened to me before that anything got stuck in the hex bit or a 1/2″ socket. *knock on wood

It wasn’t me that released the bit. I tried and sprayed it down with WD40, let it sit for a week and a friend came up to me with my impact with the bit out. I asked how he did it, he said he used vice grips and a screwdriver to release it. Would have been nice to see exactly how he did but there is no way I’m recreating the issue to find out.

A Working Pro since 2004

@cmeyer25 oh yah the 182 is great for driving screws, love it. Don’t know how i lived without it before.

@madman_us my lug nuts are set at about 83 f/lbs and perhaps the lugnuts are rusty but i have to break them before i hit it with breaker bar before the idh182 before they’ll loosen some of them.

Are your nuts open or the closed type Lmao haha, okay that didn’t sound right lol
    I mean are they the typical ones that covers the entire bolt, or is there dirt building up around the top of the nuts that doesn’t cover the studs.

Maybe try putting some anti seize before Re installing the nuts.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

My other issue I’ve been having is that the sockets I’ve used (I really just have one for removing e bike rack off our car) don’t stay attached firmly. Is that something any of you have experienced?

What model IDH do you have?

Bosch only has the IDH182 here in the states, perhaps we see more or an updated one in the years.

madman_us my lug nuts are set at about 83 f/lbs and perhaps the lugnuts are rusty but i have to break them before i hit it with breaker bar before the idh182 before they’ll loosen some of them.

I can imagine rust in your area on the bolts etc. my bolts were clean but it didn’t work out at all. I believe they were just too tight.
    my cars lug torque is at 89 ft lbs.
    The “nominal” value is 89 lb./ft, but any value within the range of 85 to 101 is acceptable. Those values came from a translation/conversion from the German Owner’s Manual.

Breakerbar helps but sometimes I just want to lift up the car as I did previously, all 4 sides and then just loosen up the lugs.
    I am waiting now for another good sale and then I get the High Torque Impact Wrench 😀

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

i hit it with breaker bar before the idh182 before they’ll loosen some of them.

Next time you have them off put a dab of anti-seize on them. It’s something I have been doing for years. Same with alloy wheels… if you ever had on “stuck” you know what I’m talking about. Some of them sit over a lip on the axle and a little rust on the axle with a little corrosion on the wheel and it will stick.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@theamcguy 182

If the socket is sticking then it sounds like snap ring at the end of the square drive is a bit tight or the drive opening in the socket is a bit tight. You can to gently squeeze the snap ring a bit or use a file and gently make the drive opening a bit bigger.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Boschmanbrian

@Boschmanbrian
    i’ve been debating about that but not sure if it was a good idea or not lol don’t want my wheels falling off. In the spring, I am going to bu all new lug nuts for the car when I reinstall them.

Boschmanbrian

@boschmanbrian i’ve been debating about that but not sure if it was a good idea or not lol don’t want my wheels falling off. In the spring, I am going to bu all new lug nuts for the car when I reinstall them.

No, I have been using that for years now, never had any issues, and like @Sprokitz mentioned I use it for the back side of the rims also where they hit the axle or hub if you want. This way they never stick.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@theamcguy 182

Impact Safety Rule 101;

Always use ‘Impact’ rated sockets on an impact gun, The one in the pic is Not. A regular socket is harder and brittle and could explode, Impact sockets are softer @cmeyer25

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

so convenient not having to make sure you have a socket adapter around. I cannot tell you how many of those it have twisted. True innovation.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@dabbs sure – if I was putting any serious torque on anything I would want impact rated sockets. As it is it’s just for snugging the bolt on my bike rack or raising/ lowering my car jack, neither of which involve much actual impact action. I picked it up from a used tool store for a couple cents, so I’m not worried about it shattering on me.

Charlie

Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

@dabbs sure – if I was putting any serious torque on anything I would want impact rated sockets. As it is it’s just for snugging the bolt on my bike rack or raising/ lowering my car jack, neither of which involve much actual impact action. I picked it up from a used tool store for a couple cents, so I’m not worried about it shattering on me.

Picking up a used non impact rated socket is even more reason not to use it on an impact, You don’t know what it’s been through in it’s life. A car jack sounds like it would have some torque involved

Since this is primarily a woodworking site that gives away these 1/2″ drive impacts and by the conversations I’ve read in here about the IDH182 I can tell some members have never owned an impact before to use with sockets, So I like to make everyone aware of the differences and why they should only use impact rated sockets on an impact. I’ve worked in shops all my life and of course I’m sure anyone with an impact gun has done it, including myself. But after seeing one explode I don’t do it anymore

KenW
    Pro

I was driving some screws into some older hickory with my 182 the other day and experienced something of what y’all are talking about. The phillips bit shattered. Of course it was just a garden variety bit I had picked up somewhere and had been using the same bit for quite awhile without issues or unusual wear; often switching it between my impact gun and screw gun. Using pilot holes kept the screws from breaking off in the hickory and the bit shattering was a surprise.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@dabbs I bet that was quite the experience! I’ve used non-impact rated sockets and an adapter for years now and had no issues, but I completely understand that that is not the optimal accessory to use with this tool. Thanks for being the voice of experience and safety.

@theamcguy
    it’s not sticking, it’s not engaging entirely, so the socket can be pulled off without depressing the chuck collar like you do for a bit. Is that because of the same problem do you think?

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@theamcguy it’s not sticking, it’s not engaging entirely, so the socket can be pulled off without depressing the chuck collar like you do for a bit. Is that because of the same problem do you think?

Probably. I’d massage the socket a bit to see if you can get to fit. What brand socket is it?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@theamcguy I checked it out a bit this morning, and it seems to be sitting completely down on the chuck, just nothing there to hold it in place. There are those little C rings but otherwise nothing that sticks out past the smooth faces of the 1/2″ drive…it just seems to be the design as far as I can tell. But I haven’t looked closely at the socket. I can do that tonight when I get home.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

what is this anti seize. I hate it when my nuts get seized up.

Probably. I’d massage the socket a bit to see if you can get to fit. What brand socket is it?

maybe it’s the wrong size maybe he’s using a metric and he needs an imperial or maybe he’s using an imperial and needs a metric?

what is this anti seize. I hate it when my nuts get seized up.

maybe it’s the wrong size maybe he’s using a metric and he needs an imperial or maybe he’s using an imperial and needs a metric?

Lol yeah I hate it when my nuts seize

It’s the same as uncle freeze, just from anti lol

This is what I have been using

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.716 seconds