dcsimg

IDH182 impact driver, I love this thing

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’ve had the IDH182 kit for a year now, and I have to say, it’s freakin awesome. I have/had other impact drivers, including the predecessor 25618, they all work well, but none has the versatility IDH182 does.

It’s brushless, brushless tools are great because they use less juice to make the same power (or the same juice to make more power). The three speeds gives a lot of control, each step down approximately halve the max RPM/torque, useful especially for removing partially stuck Phillips screws since they strip so easily if the bit slips, then you are stuck and hoping you can get a Dremel cutoff wheel in there to make a slot.

The three speeds helps driving screws too, since for wood screws the full torque (137 ft.lb, that’s more than your compact car engine makes) is just not necessary and hard to control precise screw depth.

That torque is useful however for doing mechanical work, since IDH182 has this handy dandy dual purpose chuck that can take both 1/4″ hex shank and 1/2″ square. No torque-robbing adapter needed, just directly stick a 1/2″ socket on and you are good to go. 137 ft.lb of torque may not sounds like a lot when dedicated impact wrenches are in 600+ range, and you certainly aren’t going to remove any axle nut or rusted on skid plate, but for 90% of the bolts you encounter it’s enough. Plus, it’s heck a lot lighter and compact than any dedicated impact wrench. What I found especially useful is the variable speed trigger. Many of the dedicated impact wrenches come with on/off trigger, so you cannot use them to install/tighten bolts. But with variable speed trigger you can easily do that and save your fingers from doing a lot of twisting. It’s also powerful enough to remove lug nuts from most if not all passenger vehicles, assuming they weren’t driven on by trigger happy mechanics with an air impact.

The LED is useful too, not so much after dark since you’ll probably have another light source anyway, but during daytime when you need to drive something in a dark corner and it’s hard to see because of the surrounding brightness.

The kit I bought came with two fatpacks, I think you might lose some max torque if you use slim pack, but for driving screws it probably makes no difference.

There are some improvements I would like to see however. The LED time out is too fast, only around 10 seconds no matter if it’s turned on by trigger or button switch. It would be great that if you turn the LED on with the dedicated button, it stays on for 10 minutes instead of 10 seconds. The trigger sensitivity could also use some tuning. On the 25618 it was easy to get a slow speed using trigger alone, but on IDH182 the speed ramps up very fast. Also for us Canucks, maybe make the included double end bit one Phillips and one square, instead of two Phillips. 🙂

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Great review on a great driver, I just did a review on it myself.

woodman_412

Great review! I completely agree with you, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed mine too. Bosch really did a great job on this driver. I like how versatile it is being able to do heavy work and fine work with the same tool with the 3 torque settings.

Dan

danpattison.com

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Awesome review, I used to own one of these, I actually prefer it over the Milwaukee fuel that I’m using now. It is a very smooth running tool for sure.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@jzmtl,
    Great review of the IDH182.
    I like the fact that it had no issue removing the lug nuts in the video. I’d like to know what they were torqued down at?

I just did my all seasons today and used my M18 impact and it took longer than that to remove a lug, I even had to bring out the 26″ breaker bar for one lug that my M18 would not break loose..

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Thanks guys. 😀

@jzmtl,
    Great review of the IDH182.
    I like the fact that it had no issue removing the lug nuts in the video. I’d like to know what they were torqued down at?

I just did my all seasons today and used my M18 impact and it took longer than that to remove a lug, I even had to bring out the 26″ breaker bar for one lug that my M18 would not break loose..

The one in video is 85 ft.lb, it can do 100 ft.lb on my old jeep too, but needs to hammer a second or two more.

With these low torque drivers the key is to avoid any additional joints, like I used a single deep socket instead of extension and regular socket. Losing 10% on a 800 ft.lb wrench doesn’t matter, but losing 10% here could bring the final torque below the threshold.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

im hoping to replace my makita with this drill the only version thats available loccally has the slimpacks…. so im hoping to see someone bring it in with fatpacks

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

monman1
    Pro

Great review! I may get one off the list one day.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice review jzmtl. It has been on my list for a long time. May need to bump it up a couple places.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

nice review @jzmtl.
    Im in the same boat, I just love my IDH182.
    lightweight and a perfect slim handle.
    which kit is that you are using with the IDH182?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

Nice review. You’ve tempted my points alocation possibly.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Ngreat review, I’ve been looking at getting one for similar reasons. I could definitely use one.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

nice review @jzmtl.
    Im in the same boat, I just love my IDH182.
    lightweight and a perfect slim handle.
    which kit is that you are using with the IDH182?

The IDH kit I bought is IDH182-01L. It has since been paired with a mixed of drills from several other kits. Right now it’s with a HDH181 and DDS181.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

<p abp=”289″>Thanks guys. 😀

<p abp=”294″> @jzmtl,<br abp=”297″>
    Great review of the IDH182.<br abp=”298″>

<p abp=”299″>I just did my all seasons today and used my M18 impact and it took longer than that to remove a lug, I even had to bring out the 26″ breaker bar for one lug that my M18 would not break loose..

<p abp=”300″>The one in video is 85 ft.lb, it can do 100 ft.lb on my old jeep too, but needs to hammer a second or two more.

<p abp=”301″>With these low torque drivers the key is to avoid any additional joints, like I used a single deep socket instead of extension and regular socket. Losing 10% on a 800 ft.lb wrench doesn’t matter, but losing 10% here could bring the final torque below the threshold.

Make sense, I do use a bit that goes from 1/4″ hex to 1/2″ socket. I don’t know what the torque rating of my M18 is. I’ll have to look it up and see. I was undoing 93 ft lbs lugs.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

With these low torque drivers the key is to avoid any additional joints, like I used a single deep socket instead of extension and regular socket. Losing 10% on a 800 ft.lb wrench doesn’t matter, but losing 10% here could bring the final torque below the threshold.

Correct Jie. Any kind of joint or extension between the socket ad the tool robs overall power needed to break the fastener loose.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve had the IDH182 kit for a year now, and I have to say, it’s freakin awesome. I have/had other impact drivers, including the predecessor 25618, they all work well, but none has the versatility IDH182 does.

It’s brushless, brushless tools are great because they use less juice to make the same power (or the same juice to make more power). The three speeds gives a lot of control, each step down approximately halve the max RPM/torque, useful especially for removing partially stuck Phillips screws since they strip so easily if the bit slips, then you are stuck and hoping you can get a Dremel cutoff wheel in there to make a slot.

The three speeds helps driving screws too, since for wood screws the full torque (137 ft.lb, that’s more than your compact car engine makes) is just not necessary and hard to control precise screw depth.

That torque is useful however for doing mechanical work, since IDH182 has this handy dandy dual purpose chuck that can take both 1/4″ hex shank and 1/2″ square. No torque-robbing adapter needed, just directly stick a 1/2″ socket on and you are good to go. 137 ft.lb of torque may not sounds like a lot when dedicated impact wrenches are in 600+ range, and you certainly aren’t going to remove any axle nut or rusted on skid plate, but for 90% of the bolts you encounter it’s enough. Plus, it’s heck a lot lighter and compact than any dedicated impact wrench. What I found especially useful is the variable speed trigger. Many of the dedicated impact wrenches come with on/off trigger, so you cannot use them to install/tighten bolts. But with variable speed trigger you can easily do that and save your fingers from doing a lot of twisting. It’s also powerful enough to remove lug nuts from most if not all passenger vehicles, assuming they weren’t driven on by trigger happy mechanics with an air impact.

The LED is useful too, not so much after dark since you’ll probably have another light source anyway, but during daytime when you need to drive something in a dark corner and it’s hard to see because of the surrounding brightness.

The kit I bought came with two fatpacks, I think you might lose some max torque if you use slim pack, but for driving screws it probably makes no difference.

There are some improvements I would like to see however. The LED time out is too fast, only around 10 seconds no matter if it’s turned on by trigger or button switch. It would be great that if you turn the LED on with the dedicated button, it stays on for 10 minutes instead of 10 seconds. The trigger sensitivity could also use some tuning. On the 25618 it was easy to get a slow speed using trigger alone, but on IDH182 the speed ramps up very fast. Also for us Canucks, maybe make the included double end bit one Phillips and one square, instead of two Phillips. :)

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/XplbzTADrVE?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I agree completely. Just got back inside from taking off my winter tires. IDH182 took care of all 8 wheels worth of nuts without the slightest issue. Didnt even need the breaker bar this year

Love this thing!

@jzmtl great review Jie, good video also, I too love my IDH182, looking forward to using it again for the tires swap to.

Some great points you made about an absolute great impact driver.

Thanks again for a great write up.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Nice review, and thanks for taking the time to do it.

I’ve been looking at the IDH182 and thinking I might spring on one or two of them.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Jie really nice review. Thank you for posting. The 182 is a great tool, I have one and use it often. Anyone needing a good 18V impact would do well to order one of these.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Make sense, I do use a bit that goes from 1/4″ hex to 1/2″ socket. I don’t know what the torque rating of my M18 is. I’ll have to look it up and see. I was undoing 93 ft lbs lugs.

I’m surprised you haven’t broke it yet. I’ve seen quite a few of those snapped by 18v impact drivers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.651 seconds