dcsimg

IDH182 – 1/2" socket stuck!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Were you using an impact socket?

I was not.. maybe I should have. I was replacing a sensor on my GF’s car which entailed taking apart the battery holder, air intake, etc.

It probably more has to do with out of spec socket than not using impact socket. The IDH182 is pretty low powered for an impact wrench.

you don’t think using a softer socket might have deformed it enough to not let go?

Maybe, but a good whack on the side of the socket usually will break it loose.

Seeing as that didn’t work just cut the thing off with a grinder.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I was not.. maybe I should have. I was replacing a sensor on my GF’s car which entailed taking apart the battery holder, air intake, etc.

It probably more has to do with out of spec socket than not using impact socket. The IDH182 is pretty low powered for an impact wrench.

you don’t think using a softer socket might have deformed it enough to not let go?

I recall impact sockets are actually softer/less brittle than hand tool sockets, so they wouldn’t crack and blow apart. Although it’s possible this one is way too soft and the square anvil deformed it enough to wedge itself in.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I thought the issue with using non impact sockets was the potential for chrome flaking off?

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I thought the issue with using non impact sockets was the potential for chrome flaking off?

I’ve heard that too, but I think the steel is different as well.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Impact rated sockets are made of a more malleable steel than non-impact rated. That way the sockets will deform slightly instead of splitting. I remember that much from the discussion about why impact rated screwdriver bits are a waste of money and wear out faster. Thread here: http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/interesting-article-on-impact-bits/

I’ve had the same problem with stuck sockets on my 182. I usually tap it, pull on it, etc until I get a crack big enough at the base to wedge something in and pry it off.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Not the chrome, you can crack the entire socket wall if you use a regular socket in impact wrench. But that’s generally on impact wrench with 300+ ft.lb, I don’t think it makes a difference on IDH182.

Any luck yet?

Any luck yet?

Not yet!! Got pulled into helping a friend with his kitchen build. I’ll give the suggestions a shot this weekend.

Thanks all!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Non impact sockets are harder than impact sockets, That’s why your not suppose to use them in an impact. Harder = brittle and could explode

EDIT; Oooops, I should have kept reading. I see I’m late with that comment

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is one of the issues Kyle. The microflexing in the metal from the impact action can cause the chrome to separate and peel off.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

Try to hold it with pipe wrench and put the impactor on reverse as you reversing try to shake it little bit too only way I can come up with

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Impact rated sockets are made of a more malleable steel than non-impact rated. That way the sockets will deform slightly instead of splitting. I remember that much from the discussion about why impact rated screwdriver bits are a waste of money and wear out faster. Thread here: http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/interesting-article-on-impact-bits/

I’ve had the same problem with stuck sockets on my 182. I usually tap it, pull on it, etc until I get a crack big enough at the base to wedge something in and pry it off.

I knew all about impact sockets vs regular sockets, but for some reason I never connected the dots and realized that impact bits are the same.

Makes total sense as to why they tend to wear out faster.

Any luck yet?

Not yet!! Got pulled into helping a friend with his kitchen build. I’ll give the suggestions a shot this weekend.

Thanks all!

Hoping you got it off okay, I would try reverse first, if that doesn’t work, slightly tapping the socket at the same time while reversing,

If that doesn’t work, like Jon mentioned cut it off if you can, close to the 1/2 socket chuck, then splitting the socket with a chisel if you can,

What about a gear puller if you can get one that fits.

Good luck

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Hoping you got it off okay

I can’t believe he can’t get it off?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, Did you get it off? @onecaribou

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Might need a rocket surgeon to get this socket off LOL

Anonymous
    Inactive

Might need a rocket surgeon to get this socket off LOL

LOL, I’m beginning to think so

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Probably best way to avoid damage to your impact is like was said above, carefully cut it away with a cut off wheel, that ring must be balled up to have the socket locked on there that tight.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Maybe somehow clamp down the impact and use a pickle fork to see if the socket can be persuaded off the head?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Yep, finally had a chance to fight with it this weekend. Penetrating oil, a vice and a hammer were enough to knock it off.

Thanks for all the assistance guys!!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.411 seconds