dcsimg

IDH182 – 1/2" socket stuck!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • Author

Like the title says, my IDH182 ( an awesome beast of a tool) has a 1/2″ socket stuck on it. I’ve tried pulling, pushing and trying to know it off but it just won’t release.

Does anyone have any tips for removal? The socket is a Stanley 18mm, not deep.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Try putting it in a 18mm nut and hit it in reverse or get a pipe wrench on it and hit it in reverse and forward

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Try putting it in a 18mm nut and hit it in reverse or get a pipe wrench on it and hit it in reverse and forward

This and put some penetrating/light oil in the mating surface, and let it seep in.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s not good, I’ve had to pry sockets off in the past but not on that 182. It has the locking ring instead of a pin, I’d say the safest way especially with that dual chuck set-up would be to clamp the socket in a vise and knock the 182 out from the inside of the socket using a 1/2″ extension. Preferably one with the locking ball rather than a ring and definitely not one with a pin, That way you may not hurt the inner hex drive

Thanks guys, I’ll give these all a try. It’s funny, just the 18mm socket gave me trouble. I wonder if it’s a little out of spec.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks guys, I’ll give these all a try. It’s funny, just the 18mm socket gave me trouble. I wonder if it’s a little out of spec.

Probably, I don’t think too much of Stanley sockets or screwdrivers etc….Good luck and let us know how ya come out, pics would be fun too

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Like the title says, my IDH182 ( an awesome beast of a tool) has a 1/2″ socket stuck on it. I’ve tried pulling, pushing and trying to know it off but it just won’t release.

Use a hammer! If that doesn’t work, use a bigger hammer.

Use a hammer! If that doesn’t work, use a bigger hammer.

Haha!! I tried but I must not have hit it hard enough! 🙂

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I think the issue is with the ring, I’ve had the same thing happen to me before when I had the 182

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have had to tap on the sockets before with a hammer ot tap them on a hard surface when they were stuck. ususlly a couple of tapps and they come loose.

I have had to tap on the sockets before with a hammer ot tap them on a hard surface when they were stuck. ususlly a couple of tapps and they come loose.

Yeah, I tried that.

Among other things I’ll give this a try again tonight with a little penetrating/light oil.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Were you using an impact socket?

I was not.. maybe I should have. I was replacing a sensor on my GF’s car which entailed taking apart the battery holder, air intake, etc.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I do it every once in a while but with the high power of these impacts its a good idea.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It is the ring gets jammed on the socket, either pry it off or tap from the inside like was suggested.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, I tried that.

Among other things I’ll give this a try again tonight with a little penetrating/light oil.

Go easy hammering on that dual chuck, It’s not like any other 1/2″ square drive impact or ratchet or extension etc. It’s hollow and with little locking ball mechanism for the 1/4″ hex side, The thought of hammering on it sideways scares me. Tap lightly, Or vise up the socket like I said earlier. That way there’s less stress on the chuck

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I was not.. maybe I should have. I was replacing a sensor on my GF’s car which entailed taking apart the battery holder, air intake, etc.

It probably more has to do with out of spec socket than not using impact socket. The IDH182 is pretty low powered for an impact wrench.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It probably more has to do with out of spec socket than not using impact socket.

I agree sounds like the socket jammed the locking ring and will not it let it spring or collapse.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I had that happen once and I just put the socket in a vise, slid a long he bit I to the hex drive and hit the end of it. Popped out no problem, and didn’t seem to damage anything.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

It probably more has to do with out of spec socket than not using impact socket. The IDH182 is pretty low powered for an impact wrench.

you don’t think using a softer socket might have deformed it enough to not let go?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.322 seconds