dcsimg

Ideas needed to remove recessed can lights behind a glass ceiling

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@miamicuse ,,Man you gotta know if that glass is tempered or not before you go to grinding on it.. Tempered glass will pop if you start grinding on it. Raw glass is fine.

There is already a hole on this mirror and I can see some rough edges. Doesn’t that preclude this being tempered?

Yes that does look like raw glass,, preclude is a big word, had to look it up.

LOL!

Following your original thinking about using eye hook screws.

If I cut it all around and push the top dome of the housing out of the way (using a cut off tool), leaving only the lip and may be an inch or two of a “rim”. Then I drill four holes on the inside, two on each side and screw in four of these eye screws, get longer ones so the loop is within say two inches of each other, and put a plier on the two eyes and tighten, I wonder if that would collapse it to pull the lip out from between the sheetrock and glass.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Those cans have a seam down one side and that would be a good spot to drill for more bite with the threads. I would think the more you could collapse it the better to make it as small as possible.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@miamicuse just watch your eyes if you use a cutting disk, don’t want all those sharp little pieces of metal getting into your eyes, better wear protection?
    27 lights, that’s going to be lots of cutting, be interested to see what and how you get them out.
    Good luck.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

YUP, it won’t be a fun job. No matter how I attack this by grinding the glass off or by cutting around the housing then try to collapse it to the middle, I am going to be dealing with metal shavings or glass shavings and I do have protective gear which I hate to wear LOL.

Doobie
    Pro

YUP, it won’t be a fun job. No matter how I attack this by grinding the glass off or by cutting around the housing then try to collapse it to the middle, I am going to be dealing with metal shavings or glass shavings and I do have protective gear which I hate to wear LOL.

So how did this task work out Sami? You never got back to us on this.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It’s on hold. It’s an investment property and I am debating between removing the lights as discussed here VS covering the lights. There isn’t a clean solution.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.323 seconds