dcsimg

Ice Fishing

This topic contains 90 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  PI_Woodworker 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 91 total)
  • Author

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Any of you guys into ice fishing?

K-Drill Electric Ice Auger System

I have been looking for a new auger and I came across this and think I may try to buy one. The drill thing is appealing to me and it would be one less gas motor that I would have to maintain.

They recommend the Milwaukee drills but I am very certain the Bosch 18v will do just as good of a job. Hoping to get one soon, so I can try it out.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Better read it close Jim….. it says for redrilling holes.
    That beans you still have to make the first hole another way.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Never thought about how they make the hole in the ice. How do they do that?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

We used something similar to this auger

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Do you get enough ice down your way for ice fishing Ron?
    I don’t know if we will get enough this year .
    I gave all my ice fishing gear away . I stay warm in the winters now.
    It used to be fun on Lake Erie. Can’t say I ever caught any amount of fish though.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

We used something similar to this auger

What does the end look like? Standard auger or more like a hole saw? I would think that it would shatter the ice if it was anything like an auger.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Better read it close Jim….. it says for redrilling holes.
    That beans you still have to make the first hole another way.

the ice wouldn’t be as thick as it previously was. so you’d get away with an 18v but the initial hole you still need gas.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

What does the end look like? Standard auger or more like a hole saw? I would think that it would shatter the ice if it was anything like an auger.

Auger with two stainless blades, no screw point. I used a manual one though so I don’t know if the powered version is any different.

Never used a gas one before, since I don’t drill that many holes a manual auger works fine.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

It used to be fun on Lake Erie. Can’t say I ever caught any amount of fish though.

You go ice fishing to catch fish? I thought the point was to reconnect with my old friend Jack Daniels.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

whenever I get asked if I Ice fish, my response is “no, I am not that much of a drunk.”

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

whenever I get asked if I Ice fish, my response is “no, I am not that much of a drunk.”

Good reply Kurt. Ice fishing does nothing for me. Can’t relax when I’m cold.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

There’s the other rent-a-hut type, there are wood stoves to keep you toasty warm. It’s more of a local event though since the huts are all close together for a month or so.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Not much ice fishing here. I can only remember a couple winters that the ice on my pond was thick enough to walk on.
    I did grow up in Colorado. And my Dads side of the family lived in North Dakota. So I did do a little ice fishing when I was younger.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

We have lots of fishing shows on Saturday mornings to watch and now many are about ice fishing. There are always advertisements for portable ice shanties that are available for sale. There are some with thermostat controlled heat, a small kitchen, and even beds. They have some ice vehicles set up that way too. Ice fishing can be a lot of fun. I have a good friend who guides ice fishing on the bay of Green Bay in the winter so I connect with him. His ice shanties are quite toasty. It is certainly not everyone’s cup of tea but is it very important to the ice belt folks in ND, MN and WI.

yellaD
    Pro

You go ice fishing to catch fish? I thought the point was to reconnect with my old friend Jack Daniels.

Definitely a reason ice fishing is better than “summer” fishing.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Now I’ve never been ice fishing but if I were to go ice fishing I would bring someone to bait my hook for me…

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

that is also true heh, its all about the food and drink and good times with your buddies.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have a good friend who guides ice fishing on the bay of Green Bay in the winter so I connect with him. His ice shanties are quite toasty. It is certainly not everyone’s cup of tea but is it very important to the ice belt folks in ND, MN and WI.

Kinda sounds like deer camp which can be a lot of fun during deer season. .

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous

Definitely a reason ice fishing is better than “summer” fishing.

Gee,you guys aren’t summer fishing correctly then lol. My fishing gear/jug stays the same as in the summer too, the only difference is I have to keep it in the freezer rather than outside

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

You all are funny!
    We went to lake Erie the first time and had no ice shanty. We carried our gear in a 5 gal bucket. It was really cold and the wind was blowing hard. We had walked a couple miles and not caught anything. Got up to try another spot and as soon as we stood up our buckets took off in the wind. We never saw them again!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.616 seconds