dcsimg

I wanted to help but didn't know how

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author

John, That kind of stuff infuriates me, He put everyone out there in danger, Except himself.

Brendan, Some of this stuff I find funny like that canoe, As long as no one gets hurt. And at least the dummy tried to be safe LOL.

I have a habit of looking at peoples towing set-up even when going down the interstate as I pass someone. One time I noticed a guys empty car hauling trailer wasn’t down over the ball, Yeah it was closed and locked but resting on top of the ball, Geez. I got up beside him and let him know, Then I pulled over and stopped with him as he fixed it. He couldn’t believe it and said his kid hooked it up and Thanked me about a 100 times before I left LOL.

Wow Boyd that bottom scenario is a scary one…. That could have been bad in a lot of different ways.

John S

People are overly casual about hauling loads. I include myself in that category. They should cover that topic when you get your drivers license. You could easily kill someone if things go wrong.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I carry big loads sometimes from the sawmill but it is only 10 minutes away and all back roads . 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow John Hahahaha, That’s a funny looking load but you are being safe. 3 tie downs and a red flag.

cranbrook2
    Pro

There is rarely ever a car on the back roads where I go .If I do see a car I slow right down so they see me .

Anonymous
    Inactive

People are overly casual about hauling loads. I include myself in that category. They should cover that topic when you get your drivers license. You could easily kill someone if things go wrong.

I agree, They should make everyone take a class and a test that applies for a trailer license, Just like they do for a motorcycle. Same with boating, I’ve seen some real dandy’s out on the water too

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

No matter what regulations they make, there’ll always be that one guy that screws something up. It just gets scary when you see it happening a lot…

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

This all reminds me of the scrappers that drive around in their pickup trucks “expertly” stacked 10-15ft in the air with mangled metal. I make sure to drive a few hundred feet behind. I figure I am the idiot if I get hit by their flying debris.

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Good idea, Jason. Actually, a few months ago, someone I know had a pallet of cultured stone on their trailer. When they stopped and turned at a corner, the webbing/plastic holding the boxes together failed. Even though it was strapped to the trailer, a number of boxes went all over the road. It was just at an intersection, so it wasn’t high speed and no one got hurt.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Worst I did was stack 8 sheets of OSB on the back of my truck bed and took off from the lumber yard proceeded to unload them on the otherside of the road. Not neccesarily by choice. I had loaded them on top of other stuff and the top 3 sheets weren’t inside the bed. I thought they were and didn’t tie them in. Those are the ones that ended up in the ditch.

Anonymous
    Inactive

LOL Jerry, That sucks. I will admit I did a dumb thing with my old hot water heater. The landfill was only a few blocks away in the neighborhood, This thing weighed a ton and I had to have help getting it in my truck. I couldn’t get the tailgate closed and figured it was so heavy I’d be alright for that short of distance. Well, It was at about the third corner it slid out rolling up against the curb and I couldn’t pick it up to get it back in my truck LOL. Finally a guy who lived in the house it landed in front of came out and helped me.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I have nightmares about that very thing Boyd. In the nightmare I get the heavy item half way back in when it falls on me trapping me. Needless to say I always tie stuff I can’t lift very tight.

redwood
    Pro

So we are talking about lost loads now. Here’s mine.

I finished a ipe deck. At one time we got the ipe prefinished for free. It was a cheap product and usually didn’t last the time we were on the job, but it was free. Anyways, when ipe is finished, it is very slippery when you have multiple pieces stacked together. I was hauling about 20 pieces home. At a major, major intersection at rush hour, I hit my brakes and the whole load goes off the front of my truck. That was embarassing. I quickly took the magnetic signs off of my truck and pulled into a parking lot. The load was tied down, but not enough apparently. Now I use straps and cellophane.

Oh and I don’t get it prefinished.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have nightmares about that very thing Boyd. In the nightmare I get the heavy item half way back in when it falls on me trapping me. Needless to say I always tie stuff I can’t lift very tight.

Oh no,.. It was a bit of a nightmare situation for me. I don’t know what I was thinking that day cuz out of everyone I know I’m the one who over ties everything down. I guess I was tired from replacing it and tried to take a short cut on safety. I also learned that it doesn’t matter how far you have to go, 50 miles or 5 blocks. If it’s unsafe it’s unsafe

Anonymous
    Inactive

So we are talking about lost loads now. Here’s mine.

I finished a ipe deck. At one time we got the ipe prefinished for free. It was a cheap product and usually didn’t last the time we were on the job, but it was free. Anyways, when ipe is finished, it is very slippery when you have multiple pieces stacked together. I was hauling about 20 pieces home. At a major, major intersection at rush hour, I hit my brakes and the whole load goes off the front of my truck. That was embarassing. I quickly took the magnetic signs off of my truck and pulled into a parking lot. The load was tied down, but not enough apparently. Now I use straps and cellophane.

Oh and I don’t get it prefinished.

I stopped and helped a guy pick up his load of lumber in a similar situation, I understand the embarrassing factor. Even I felt it standing out in the road helping him LOL… I had to laugh when you said you took off the magnetic signs Hhahahaha

Anonymous
    Inactive

No matter how many times I see it there seems to always be another one somewhere down the road. Can’t say I never did anything stupid when I was young. All to save a little. Now I understand just how much being stupid can cost and the price of a rental truck doesn’t seem so high anymore.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Not sure I would try this to haul my mini excavator. Mine is larger, but even this one would be severely overloaded.

cranbrook2
    Pro

Not sure I would try this to haul my mini excavator. Mine is larger, but even this one would be severely overloaded.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/FbyxYVAvXKQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I don’t know why they wouldn’t just use a small trailer 🙂 not too bright .

It is actually impressive they could get that mini excavator into the van!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Lol when I get my mini pickup I hope i never do that.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.056 seconds