dcsimg

I need to build a fence… Help!

This topic contains 37 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  roninohio 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

I’m getting tired of the school kids’ moms trampling our frontage area. I actually had to remove 2 big Jacaranda trees due to the danger of kids playing in them – and parents putting their babies in the trees!!

Now I have a grandma and her 2 year old grandson arriving an hour early to wait for the 6 year old’s bus. The 2 year old has taken a liking to ripping the bark and roots from my palm tree. He’s done a lot of damage so far. The police won’t help me.

So, I decided to fence in the front lawn. I’m going to put decomposed granite in place of grass. Then, I want a fence. My problem is how high a fence to install.

A fence that is shorter than 2 1/2 feet is exempt from permit. But the kids will be able to climb over it. I was thinking about a 4 foot fence, but I have a feeling that since it requires a permit, I’ll have to hire a contractor, which will greatly increase the costs.

I have the skills to install a fence myself. I’ve done it before. But I don’t want the expense of unnecessarily hiring a contractor to do work I can do.

Any advice?

Pat

I can talk to my friend in the next days and ask him a few questions about it. He builds custom homes here in the area.
    We recently build a steel fence at his latest house in yucca valley and it didn’t need a permit. Not sure how it is in Palm desert.
    I’ll come back to you

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

What about a hedge row of shrubs instead. You can plant yourself and while it requires trimming, once it gets dense and tall, you’ll likely be free of the critter kids.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

There are other ways, like spreading manure around the front so the stench makes them not want to walk on the lawn. will video evidence make the police act? what about sprinklers activated at the time they are around?

Clev08
    Pro

Love the sprinkler idea, but this may be more effective.

In all seriousness what kind of fence are you thinking of putting up? Wood, chain link, plastic, ect…

Attachments:

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

In all seriousness what kind of fence are you thinking of putting up? Wood, chain link, plastic, ect…

you can put it up as a warning but kids being kids will eventually dare each other to touch it to realize either a it is on or b it was never turned on lol. Rose bush at the property line will work, those things are so thorny.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

You could always get a nasty un-properly fed dog on a chain. If necessary, spray the kids with bacon grease if the dog is just not reacting to the situation properly. 😉

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Motion sensor sprinkler might be effective.

That’s got to be pretty harsh to need a permit if over a 2.5 ft for a fence. Why would you need a contractor in to build if a permit is necessary? is this something the city prefer?

I had an issue years ago with kids cutting across my lawn, through the bushes to get to a parking lot next door to play in.
    I put poles in between the bushes and greased them. They stopped after the about the second time they went through. LOL

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow, figure how close are your trees to the street, I would think they can’t be that close, that would mean they are really going far in your property?

Some good ideas, the fence and the hedge, plus a sprinkler,

Can you kinda fix up a sprinkler with a motion detection system? That would be cool.

Just to bad those parents don’t teach their kids some manners about respecting other people’s property,

Good luck with the outcome, hopefully you can get something done, and not to costly.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I too am surprised that you need a contractor to get a permit to build a fence. Most places near me will allow the homeowner to be the contractor for projects on their own home, with subs as necessary for specialized tasks. Let us know what you decide to do.

It is a pity, there seems to be a lack of respect everywhere, with too many of the current generation of parents not passing on the same values and respect to their children as most of us here would like to see. If I were you I would probably go the fence route, because as much as I like the other deterrent ideas I expect someone vindictive might cause you more expense or trouble in the long run.

Will

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@desertdeuces, what is your hesitation in putting up a 4′ fence ( picket I’d imagine)? I can’t imagine it would take any more effort than the 30″.

An alternative would be one of those prefab metal fences that are more decorative than a barrier… Usually about 30″ high. What is the total length?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Do you really need a “fence”? Around here you need fences inspected (not sure on the height thing) unless it is purely decorative. That is what we put in…a decorative element on the edge of the property. You can also go with a trellis or something to let plants grow up on it. A lattice work with potted plants on it at different heights would work too, and not be a “fence”. Use semantics as an ally in this one.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

We don’t need a permit to build a fence where I am but there is a height restriction .No higher than 6 ft .

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Not sure if it would be of interest, but maybe some sharp pointy cactii around the palm tree would fit with your new grass free landscaping and fix the problem?

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I believe you are in California, and unless you have a special situation in your town, just the fact of pulling a permit, doesn’t mean you have to use a Contractor, or have a License. HO’s can, and do, pull permits all the time.

You should go for the higher fence. You’ll just be frustrated that you didn’t, the first time the little rugrats climb the short one.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I believe you are in California, and unless you have a special situation in your town, just the fact of pulling a permit, doesn’t mean you have to have use Contractor, or have a License. HO’s can, and do, pull permits all the time.

I almost suggested that too. Here, permits need to be pulled if your fence is over 4 feet…but that is only in the city limits. In the county jurisdiction, permits are needed for fences over 6 feet.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

I just got the word from the city. I can put in a 3 1/2 foot fence and do not have to pull a permit. Thank goodness!

Pat

I just got the word from the city. I can put in a 3 1/2 foot fence and do not have to pull a permit. Thank goodness!

There you got your answer. now ready to rock’n roll

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

I still say a rose bush or an electric fence. Spoil sport!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.763 seconds