dcsimg

I lost my job…then…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Skillman 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Hi all,
    I haven’t posted since January of this year. The property I managed got sold. After 14 years of improving the property to such an extent that it sold for a really high price, I got a 30-day notice to vacate. That’s illegal here in California.

I lost my home, my income and my job. I didn’t qualify to rent anywhere because my social security check wasn’t large enough. My savings didn’t count because they’re ‘assets’. So, I was anticipating that I’d be living in my car or burn up my savings fast on a hotel.

Nice predicament for a 72 year old disabled woman.

But, an angel appeared and rescued me! I had given one of the prospective buyers of the property a tour without the broker present. He was impressed by me and what I had done to the property. He didn’t buy, but we kept in touch.

When I found out that I was losing my job and home, I texted him, asking if he knew someone who could use my skills, and said I was also looking for a place to live. I had NO CLUE where he worked, I just knew that he bought property and had affiliations with property managers.

Next thing I know, I get a call from a huge property management company’s human resources director. He invited me to corporate office for a ‘conversation’ with all of the directors of the company. I was given a full-time property management job and a free apartment – with no interview at all. I was treated like royalty at that ‘conversation’.

So, who was the guy I gave a tour to? The owner of the property management company.

Guys, I feel like the most fortunate person in the world! I absolutely love the job and the community where I now live.

So, I haven’t been posting here because of all of this. I do miss you guys a lot. I just had to tell you my story. It was like a miracle. And, at my age, the job is actually making me feel rejuvenated. The maintenance crew keeps asking if I’d share my happy pills with them, LOL. No pill could make me this happy. Only my guardian angel could have done that.

Pat

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Wow what a story Pat. I’m happy all worked out well for you. Things always happen for the right reasons.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Good things happen to good people. So glad you had a guardian angel in your corner. Obviously your work spoke for itself. Congrats!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That is just a beautiful story, Pat. I am so pleased things have worked out for you so well. Sounds like you have landed solidly on your feet. Thanks for sharing.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Thanks!
    I’m no longer able to do maintenance etc. on my job. They have a maintenance crew. But, I did get the okay to remodel my apartment. I want to replace the kitchen and bathroom cabinetry. But I’m going to wait until it’s cooler. This is a really hot summer.

The new owners of that property hired a relative to manage the place, which is why I lost my job. They have a ton of empty apartments, so they’re losing a lot of money up front.

Like you said, Ron, things happen for a reason. I now get the same pay I had before, and I get health, dental and life insurance – all paid by the company, and they started it on my first day of work. I also get lots of paid time off. Needless to say, I’m a lot happier.

Pat

Great outcome. I’m glad it all worked out for you.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Thanks!
    I’m no longer able to do maintenance etc. on my job. They have a maintenance crew. But, I did get the okay to remodel my apartment. I want to replace the kitchen and bathroom cabinetry. But I’m going to wait until it’s cooler. This is a really hot summer.

The new owners of that property hired a relative to manage the place, which is why I lost my job. They have a ton of empty apartments, so they’re losing a lot of money up front.

Like you said, Ron, things happen for a reason. I now get the same pay I had before, and I get health, dental and life insurance – all paid by the company, and they started it on my first day of work. I also get lots of paid time off. Needless to say, I’m a lot happier.

Wow , that’s an amazing outcome Pat
    I can’t believe what they did to you at the previous place
    But you persevered and took the high road being professional about the situation , and look what happened
    Extremely happy to hear the outcome , congratulations to you for being the better person ,
    You never know who we meet and talk to.
    Very nice to hear from you again.
    Looking forward to hearing more from you Pat.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

A bit unusual for new owners to kick out existing tenants and risk extended vacancies unless they are planning on a big upgrade to raise rent or turn around to sell. You must be on a month to month lease?

Good that it turned out great for you and all the best!

Doobie
    Pro

What a story. Very happy for you Pat and thank you for sharing. At 72, it must have been dauntingly difficult for you til the angel came your way. God bless!

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Hi all,
    I haven’t posted since January of this year. The property I managed got sold. After 14 years of improving the property to such an extent that it sold for a really high price, I got a 30-day notice to vacate. That’s illegal here in California.

I lost my home, my income and my job. I didn’t qualify to rent anywhere because my social security check wasn’t large enough. My savings didn’t count because they’re ‘assets’. So, I was anticipating that I’d be living in my car or burn up my savings fast on a hotel.

Nice predicament for a 72 year old disabled woman.

But, an angel appeared and rescued me! I had given one of the prospective buyers of the property a tour without the broker present. He was impressed by me and what I had done to the property. He didn’t buy, but we kept in touch.

When I found out that I was losing my job and home, I texted him, asking if he knew someone who could use my skills, and said I was also looking for a place to live. I had NO CLUE where he worked, I just knew that he bought property and had affiliations with property managers.

Next thing I know, I get a call from a huge property management company’s human resources director. He invited me to corporate office for a ‘conversation’ with all of the directors of the company. I was given a full-time property management job and a free apartment – with no interview at all. I was treated like royalty at that ‘conversation’.

So, who was the guy I gave a tour to? The owner of the property management company.

Guys, I feel like the most fortunate person in the world! I absolutely love the job and the community where I now live.

So, I haven’t been posting here because of all of this. I do miss you guys a lot. I just had to tell you my story. It was like a miracle. And, at my age, the job is actually making me feel rejuvenated. The maintenance crew keeps asking if I’d share my happy pills with them, LOL. No pill could make me this happy. Only my guardian angel could have done that.

Nice to hear everything has worked out for you. Thanks for sharing your story.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Great to hear things worked out for you Pat. Good to hear there are managers out there that still recognize a quality individual when they see/talk to one. 🙂

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Great story!
    All the best.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Congrats Pat! I have found that in this business if you keep your nose clean, give it your best, and show you have the knowledge to do the job, you will rarely ever need to look for work. It will find you.

It is great to hear stories like yours that show how going above and beyond on your job, can make the difference. Not enough people realize that in the world today. So many are only willing to do what is expected of them or slightly less.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That is great ! I guess there are bad people that could care less about you and great people that still care and have a heart.

Great to here you were able to get your home and work straightened out so fast after the sad news the place you had was sold . Treat everyone the same cause you never know when you need some aid in life .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.353 seconds