dcsimg

I learned something new about tub spouts

This topic contains 15 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

I’m frequently changing out tub spouts because the shower diverter gate fails. I was told by plumbers that the entire spout needs to be replaced.

The other day I was at Ace Hardware and noticed a little item on a peg that said ‘Gate with Lift Knob’. I bought one and tried removing a diverter gate on a spare new spout. It worked great! Easy as can be to swap them out.

So, looks like I won’t be changing as many tub spouts anymore. Just pop the old one out, clean up the aperture and install the new gate and lift knob. That will save me money for sure.

Pat

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I didn’t know that, thanks for sharing

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Thanks, I did not know that. That will come in handy in my very own house. I have a shower that needs that fix and I didn’t want to change the spout. Sounds like it off to the store for gate lift with knob packages.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

Thanks, I did not know that. That will come in handy in my very own house. I have a shower that needs that fix and I didn’t want to change the spout. Sounds like it off to the store for gate lift with knob packages.

Glad it will help. Just make sure to put the little rubber gasket in with the flat side toward the diverter opening. I made the mistake of putting it in backwards and even though the shower worked, water was spraying out the spout.

Pat

Anonymous

I’m frequently changing out tub spouts because the shower diverter gate fails. I was told by plumbers that the entire spout needs to be replaced.

The other day I was at Ace Hardware and noticed a little item on a peg that said ‘Gate with Lift Knob’. I bought one and tried removing a diverter gate on a spare new spout. It worked great! Easy as can be to swap them out.

So, looks like I won’t be changing as many tub spouts anymore. Just pop the old one out, clean up the aperture and install the new gate and lift knob. That will save me money for sure.

Wow I had no idea, I guess ya still have to remove the spout to access the gate though…right?

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

saving money is a good thing when you have that many units to take care of

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks for the info Pat. I didn’t know they could be repaired.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Im sure you still need to spin the spout at least upward to exchange the parts. Never realized it was repairable, good to know.

Im sure its a $3.00 repair vrs a $5.00 spout so money is money

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

Im sure you still need to spin the spout at least upward to exchange the parts. Never realized it was repairable, good to know.

Im sure its a $3.00 repair vrs a $5.00 spout so money is money

I don’t really have to turn the spout to do the repair. It’s easy to do in place. And, replacing these tub spouts is a big problem. As easy as it is to replace a tub spout that had been installed properly, it’s a nightmare if they weren’t.
    The number 1 reason I’ve been replacing tub spouts is the gate sticks. When removing some of these spouts, I’ve discovered that the copper pipe is cut too short in some cases or is not properly secured behind the surround in other cases. So I either have to fight with it to get the spout on tight or I have to call a plumber that will charge $105.00 minimum.
    I’ve done a lot of them myself. I’ve only had to call a plumber a few times, but those few times could have been avoided if I had known about this gate kit.

So, it’s not the difference between 3 or 5 dollars. It’s a lot more than that. And my costs on top of that for my labor. Far, far better to replace the gate.

Pat

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Pretty cool. Nice to sometimes just walk the isles in a hardware store. Never know what you will find.

J
    Pro

I purchased a Pasco “diverter lift repair kit” from a hardware store that came with a metal “stem”, a white plastic “gate”, and a soft (washer) “diverter gasket”. Since the bathtub fixture is over 20 years old, the white plastic gate is now manufactured wider than the original piece, but the black rubber diverter gasket was the same fit. The instructions said time either use side cutters to cut or needle nose pliers to bend one “leg”/prong away from the notch of the lift rod. My side cutters did not fit. My strength was not good enough to bend the “leg” until I first used a small round file on the outside of the leg to weaken it enough so I could then use the needle nose pliers to bend the leg over just enough to pull out the “stem”. The white, plastic gate and old, hardened black diverter gasket dropped out. (The drain plug I had already closed before I started.) Then I slipped the new, soft diverter gasket into the gate with the flat side pointing toward the wall where the water comes from, rebent the leg of the gate back into position, tested it by turning on the water and pulling up on the “stem” to see if the stem came out or if the spigot leaked when the shower was working. Then I will wait for the spigot to dry, then plan to reinforce the area I filed with a small amount of epoxy applied with a toothpick. It works fine as it is now. If the “leg” ever breaks off, I will plan to just file the “gate” sides to fit. I was lying on my back in the bathtub the two large, folded towels under my head and a heavy bathmat under my body, which was comfortable. Mineral deposits sometimes dislodged from the spigot as I was working, protective goggles diminished my vision too much, so I kept my head to the side slightly and did not use goggles over my glasses. I also had an extra bright lamp in addition to the regular lights of the bathroom being turned on. The flashlight I origionally tried to use, I could not get it to stay up and it was too weak of a light, so the extra lamp was great.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I also had an extra bright lamp in addition to the regular lights of the bathroom being turned on.

Heck of a first post, Welcome to BTP.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Thanks, Pat, that will save me a lot of aggravation and a few bucks, too. Great tip!

It is better to remain silent and be thought stupid than to open your mouth and remove all traces of doubt.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

That’s good information, thanks for posting.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’d just go ahead and buy a whole new spout and shower head🚿because it looks so much better. Also good time to up grade to a more modern one.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have a different take on these diverter gate failures.

Most of them fail after a while. Its erosion.

Yes, you can get one of those universal gate replacement. It may or may not work.

However, any reputable manufacturer, whether it’s Delta, Grohe, Moen, Pfister or whatever, will send you a new one. No, not a new gate, a new spout. All you need to do is to send in a picture of your existing spout, most of them don’t even ask for receipt and will send you a brand new spout in about a week. You just swap out the same exact thing.

In addition, it is easier today then it was say 10 years ago to swap out a spout. Older installs typically has a brass nipple or a copper pipe with a male adapter sticking out of the wall, to connect with a spout with a recessed female FIP connection. You had to have make the right length for a proper install.

Newer spouts are mostly the quick connect push fit variety similar to Sharkbites, you push the copper pipe into the connection end and it seals with an o-ring, then you secure with an allen screw at the bottom. If you look into the back of the spouts, most of the time you will see it’s still a female connection deep in the recess of the spout body, but they have threaded in a new quick connect adapter. So if you want the old threaded connection, just thread off the quick connection adapter.

On the other hand, if you want to use the quick connect, but your copper pipe is too short, then you have a problem. You can’t really just solder on an extension because the coupling will increase the pipe OD and the quick connect won’t slide over it. Then what to do?

I found the Sioux Chief copper tubing extender could be a life safer in many cases. I have a “six pack” of these in my truck at all times. What it does is it allows you to solder (or epoxy) in an extension WITHOUT change in the OD.

https://www.amazon.com/NIPPLE-ADPTR-SIOUX-MfrPartNo-972-3RAKIT/dp/B01B7U9F7K

You can buy them as a five pack for $14.

I find them handy in some situations. Now these are for type M copper pipes. Obviously if your stubout is type L these extenders won’t fit.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.793 seconds