dcsimg

I hate it when Tuesday is a Monday…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author

I would classify today as Monday. We’re installing 3 piers and posts for a couple that is selling their house, the owner before them built a deck without a permit so we came up with a solution to get it permitted and up to code. They are out of state (military moved them) so this makes things more complicated.

Today we’re there digging and I notice the sump pump kick on around 930ish, I thought that was weird but whatever. I left to take care of some things and left Joe to continue digging, came back around 2 and the ground is soaked (sump pump has been running a lot) so I go in the house… water line from a basement bar sink blew off the valve. Must have been dumping water from 9-2.

If course since I’m a nice guy I’ve got my guy in there sucking up the water (went and bought a shop vac since I didn’t have one with me) so now we’re behind on a project that didn’t have much wiggle room and we’re a couple hours and a shop vac into cleanup… hopefully we’ll get some money from the insurance company for our work.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Wow! How’d the water line from the basement bar blow off?

Pat

Crappy builders and Crappy materials.

www.mysteeldeck.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

those pipes look the ones that come with ikea vanitys,, ive installed several ikea bathroom vanitys lately and they come with drain pipes just like that. we dont use them, our plumber runs his own abs pipe

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Seems like a normal day. I’ve always had curveballs thrown at me lol

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

Well, in a few years, you can look back on this day and laugh. At least, That’s what everyone tells me. I look back on stuff like this and I still can’t see whats so damn funny 😉

Oh man that stinks! Hopefully you Wednesday feels like a Friday then! Yet another reason we like the stainless braided lines.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I had that happen once in an upstairs apartment. The tenant decided to hook up an ice maker without telling me. Whoever did it unscrewed the old nylon supply line and when they put it back, the retaining nut scored the line. A few days later it let loose like Old Faithful. Flooded the downstairs apartment and was shooting through the exterior wall like a waterfall.

Pat

So the other part of the “Monday” was first thing this morning I got a call from a client that we wrapped up the other week. She calls to tell me that the lights we put in the deck cover aren’t working and neither is half the kitchen (we tied into a kitchen circuit) and some other random outlets weren’t working. I stopped by and 1 phase wasn’t working, told her the 3 possibilities and had her call the utility company, they told her they were having issues and it was the utilities problem. Even still it was stressful start and the stress didn’t go away.

www.mysteeldeck.com

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I had that happen once in an upstairs apartment. The tenant decided to hook up an ice maker without telling me. Whoever did it unscrewed the old nylon supply line and when they put it back, the retaining nut scored the line. A few days later it let loose like Old Faithful. Flooded the downstairs apartment and was shooting through the exterior wall like a waterfall.

What kind of water pressure do you guys have that it can shoot through an eterior wall?

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

So the other part of the “Monday” was first thing this morning I got a call from a client that we wrapped up the other week. She calls to tell me that the lights we put in the deck cover aren’t working and neither is half the kitchen (we tied into a kitchen circuit) and some other random outlets weren’t working. I stopped by and 1 phase wasn’t working, told her the 3 possibilities and had her call the utility company, they told her they were having issues and it was the utilities problem. Even still it was stressful start and the stress didn’t go away.

Oh man those kind of calls raise the bp and stress level for sure. We had a new home that caught on fire. We had just finished it 3 months earlier. Thankfully no one was hurt and it wasn’t our fault or our subs.

Andrew

we recently got called back after a trim job that we shot a trim nail through a pipe(which we went to pretty extreme measures to make sure not to do). got there, opened the wall and it turned out we hit the stud, but the plumber never put a nail plate.

All I can say is I hope Wednesday is without issues and goes quickly. So are all your Mondays like that? 🙂

Thatkid
    Pro

I don’t want to jinx my self but I didn’t work Monday so today is like Monday for me but everything went smoothly.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Yesterday was my Monday (then again, it was Monday).

I had some vinyl lettering to do for a customers entry door (store name, hours, etc.). Finished it and noticed one of the dots was missing from a letter ‘i’. One stupid dot about 3/16″ diameter. The vinyl was shipped to me, so I had to get to a FastSigns and have one cut. It took longer to go have it cut than it did for me to install all of the other vinyl. Not a big deal really, just stinks when you’ve got a ton to do.

Not nearly as bad as a leaking pipe though. That stinks.

Resident Sign Guy

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

Well look at it this way. You’re done with two of the three stressful situations you’ll face this go round. I find they always come in 3’s for me!

Hope tomorrow is better Robert…

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

What kind of water pressure do you guys have that it can shoot through an eterior wall?

It was the pressure of the flooding water building up all over the kitchen. The water went everywhere and there was so much of it, it flowed right out the exterior wall. I wish I had been able to take a photo of it.

Pat

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Wow, sounds like Monday was late this week around here this week. Hopefully my Monday isn’t tomorrow.

Might as well call today a Monday too… some idiot at this house (either realtor or other tradesman) decided to take the permit and blueprints out from under the front mat and lock them in the house so I got a failed inspection today. This job isn’t priced for someone to sit and wait for the inspector (not required around here, as long as they have the card and plans they’re happy). This puts me a day behind and screws me out of getting paid as well… I wish I knew who it was cause I’d rip them a new one. So this afternoon I wasted about and hour and a half and $20+ in gas just to get the damn permit and put it back where the inspector can find it tomorrow.

Worst thing: inspector has the blueprints on his laptop and all he has to do is look at it and he could have completed the inspection… lazy.

www.mysteeldeck.com

That stinks…again @RobertCDF. Sometimes we get jobs that seem like nothing can go right and you can’t get out of there fast enough. Of course it is always the ones you priced a little tight too.

Andrew

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.495 seconds