dcsimg

I created and built a MFT style portable workbench

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author

This is a great looking little table.
    I have had the same dilemma with all the designs. One is great for sheet goods, another is good for framing, Paulk’s looks great for trimming a whole house, the Stanton bench is awesome for woodworking in small places, and the mftc seems really great all around.

I have bought 4 sets of plans so far. My parf guide system is on order. I’m just about ready to commit to one design. But which one?

I never know what I’m going to be doing in a day. I work for a flooring store as the in-house carpenter. One week I build a shower display, the next I am remodeling an entire project house my boss has bought to flip or rent out. Or maybe I go to 3 jobs in one day and install reducers and some crown. Sometimes I am doing a complete kitchen gut with new sheetrock and cabinets. It’s just so all over the place I am having a hard time deciding on which one to build.

I really love my boss and job, something different everyday really appeals to me. It’s just hard to commit to one table design in this environment. I am leaning towards the mftc, but then again I get stuck working out in the grass quite a lot.

Welcome to the club. Your design looks great.

I bought Dan’s plans but still chose to have a couple of MFSlab’s CNC printed up. In the end, I’m quite pleased with it. I may build an Overanalyze table or Dan’s base at some point though

I bought both Dans and Andres plans for both tables, my only problem is finding time to build them lol
    Definitely would be nice to have a table that’s small enough. But quick to set up and take down,

That was a big part in choosing the MFSlab. Just email the plans to a CNC shop and go pick it up (in Laval if you want- they already have them in the system now so should be even cheaper)

Goes on sawhorses so I can use it with cheap ones or build better – or build one of the bases I have the plans for

Actually that sounds good, I forgot what size of table did you buy,
    How much approximately is it.

Last week I was at the stables, worked with another contractor, he made a table that was pretty cool, used those folding legs and put a PowerBar on the end of the table.
    Simple but effective.

It looks cheap, but it was actually fairly solid.
    Good for rough work, but your idea might be nice.

Its about 3X5 plus another narrow bit using some of the rest of the sheet, from a 1 inch thick MDF sheet

It was a bit over $150 including the sheet of MDF itself (which is a pretty big deal, since I don’t know an affordable source of 1″ MDF)

That’s pretty good Eric, with all those slots and holes done also?
    What I like about it, if I have a strong enough bracket it could be hung on the wall, could you send me the place if possible?

This is a great looking little table.
    I have had the same dilemma with all the designs. One is great for sheet goods, another is good for framing, Paulk’s looks great for trimming a whole house, the Stanton bench is awesome for woodworking in small places, and the mftc seems really great all around.

I have bought 4 sets of plans so far. My parf guide system is on order. I’m just about ready to commit to one design. But which one?

I never know what I’m going to be doing in a day. I work for a flooring store as the in-house carpenter. One week I build a shower display, the next I am remodeling an entire project house my boss has bought to flip or rent out. Or maybe I go to 3 jobs in one day and install reducers and some crown. Sometimes I am doing a complete kitchen gut with new sheetrock and cabinets. It’s just so all over the place I am having a hard time deciding on which one to build.

I really love my boss and job, something different everyday really appeals to me. It’s just hard to commit to one table design in this environment. I am leaning towards the mftc, but then again I get stuck working out in the grass quite a lot.

Welcome to the club. Your design looks great.

I bought Dan’s plans but still chose to have a couple of MFSlab’s CNC printed up. In the end, I’m quite pleased with it. I may build an Overanalyze table or Dan’s base at some point though

I bought both Dans and Andres plans for both tables, my only problem is finding time to build them lol
    Definitely would be nice to have a table that’s small enough. But quick to set up and take down,

That was a big part in choosing the MFSlab. Just email the plans to a CNC shop and go pick it up (in Laval if you want- they already have them in the system now so should be even cheaper)

Goes on sawhorses so I can use it with cheap ones or build better – or build one of the bases I have the plans for

Actually that sounds good, I forgot what size of table did you buy,
    How much approximately is it.

Last week I was at the stables, worked with another contractor, he made a table that was pretty cool, used those folding legs and put a PowerBar on the end of the table.
    Simple but effective.

It looks cheap, but it was actually fairly solid.
    Good for rough work, but your idea might be nice.

Its about 3X5 plus another narrow bit using some of the rest of the sheet, from a 1 inch thick MDF sheet

It was a bit over $150 including the sheet of MDF itself (which is a pretty big deal, since I don’t know an affordable source of 1″ MDF)

That’s pretty good Eric, with all those slots and holes done also?
    What I like about it, if I have a strong enough bracket it could be hung on the wall, could you send me the place if possible?

Yup. They did the CNC of all of it. Perfect job, 20mm holes plus handles and clamp slots

And the rest of the sheet became the lower shelf with its slot

I just PMd you their name

I love your design!! Well done! I like the size and shelves you put into the design. Thanks for sharing.

I will be stealing some of your ideas if I make a new version of my setup.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Very nice work table!!

I love your design!! Well done! I like the size and shelves you put into the design. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like he modified yours.

Very nice work table!!

Looks like he modified yours.

I agree. Well, you know what they say – imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

My design was an improvement on other designs I had seen over the years as well. It is a natural progression to mimic and improve on things you have seen or used. Great stuff!!

Andrew

My design was an improvement on other designs I had seen over the years as well. It is a natural progression to mimic and improve on things you have seen or used. Great stuff!!

Love seeing all the evolutions of great ideas showing up thanks to the internet (forums, Pinterest, Instagram, etc) where some really talented and smart people have a problem, find a decent solution, and then build on it… So much stuff we never would have had if we had all been in our little local bubbles

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

… So much stuff we never would have had if we had all been in our little local bubbles

Sometimes I wonder if the local bubbles weren’t that bad.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Never knew they made 1″ thick MDF. The design is really nice and the thick MDF prevents any flex and bowing.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Never knew they made 1″ thick MDF. The design is really nice and the thick MDF prevents any flex and bowing.

I keep planning to build some Krenov style sawhorses for it, but it works exactly as well on cheap folding sawhorses. And the lower shelf is fine sitting on some Lboxxes or Systainers

… So much stuff we never would have had if we had all been in our little local bubbles

Sometimes I wonder if the local bubbles weren’t that bad.

I hear you – but if it was going to happen anyways, we may as well find the positive bits

Now my gears are turning more….

Time will only tell where I land.

My current set up hasn’t been terrible. It was haphazardly thrown together.

It is just a pair of the old Stanley fat max adjustable horses with a half inch plywood (42x30something) thrown on top. I eventually added 2x2s to the bottom of the plywood that sit down in the horse slots. Fairly stable front to back, but not so much side to side.

Drinking the green coolaid is pushing my bench motive.

Living in Louisiana the MDF is just a no go. Too humid. And to be honest I have never cared for it. Back in the day it seemed to flake and chip too easily. It may be better these days, but I am forever soured to it. I also used to call it the “next asbestos”.

I'm the only person I ever hit in the head with a hammer.

Now my gears are turning more….

Time will only tell where I land.

My current set up hasn’t been terrible. It was haphazardly thrown together.

It is just a pair of the old Stanley fat max adjustable horses with a half inch plywood (42x30something) thrown on top. I eventually added 2x2s to the bottom of the plywood that sit down in the horse slots. Fairly stable front to back, but not so much side to side.

Drinking the green coolaid is pushing my bench motive.

Living in Louisiana the MDF is just a no go. Too humid. And to be honest I have never cared for it. Back in the day it seemed to flake and chip too easily. It may be better these days, but I am forever soured to it. I also used to call it the “next asbestos”.

I agree with you on MDF. My tabletop is MDF because its the right material for my use, but I won’t use it if there is a choice. Hate the dust from the stuff.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

MDF is very stable,,A water sealer could be put on it. So what would you use?

I’m trying to get some marine grade plywood. Went to the lumber yard today and they were out. I had checked with them a few weeks ago and they had some then. When I asked if they were getting more I got “I dunno, the guy that orders it is at lunch”. Wth???

I do not think the marine grade will be a good choice for a work surface. That stuff is never flat. For a better choice than the ply look for Medex MDF. A countertop shop might have some. It is water resistant mdf.

http://m.roseburg.com/mdf/

Andrew

I do not think the marine grade will be a good choice for a work surface. That stuff is never flat. For a better choice than the ply look for Medex MDF. A countertop shop might have some. It is water resistant mdf.

I thought it was supposed to be the most stable of plywoods? Like the birch plywood?

There seems to be no high quality sheet goods anywhere in my area.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How about a a sandwich???1/4″ ply, 4oz carbon fiber 3/8 thick Divinycell, 4oz carbon fiber,, 1/4 ply all vacuumed up into a light weight board.

I don’t know anything about using carbon fiber.
    I basically need one sheet of something stable that can take the occasional rain and constant humidity of 60-80 percent.

I don’t know anything about using carbon fiber.
    I basically need one sheet of something stable that can take the occasional rain and constant humidity of 60-80 percent.

Seems like your best bet would still be MDF, just seal it well before having the holes cut (so they don’t narrow out and lose fit)

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I thought it was supposed to be the most stable of plywoods? Like the birch plywood?

There seems to be no high quality sheet goods anywhere in my area.

It is extremely stable but not always flat. A composite board of MDF core with lumber plies on each face might give the moisture resistance and flatness you would need.

The moisture resistant MDF is a great idea.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.470 seconds