dcsimg

I created and built a MFT style portable workbench

This topic contains 64 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Bikermutt07 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Author

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Started a new job today. I will try and post pictures of the table in use throughout this one.

That table sure does provide plenty of work space. Looks great.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Started a new job today. I will try and post pictures of the table in use throughout this one.

Definitely a winning design; easily transported and stored, simple to set up and effective in use.
    Really good work.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

First off, welcome to BTP,
    Very nice design and build of your work table / station
    Nice work glad you decided to join, hoping to see more Posts from your work

2stix
    Pro

Thanks for the props guys! It sure gets a lot of comments on site from all of the trades and clients.

Today the vertical ribs on the big panels showed their worth today scribing a large L shaped gable. Sure makes what used to be a very awkward job very convieninet and safe. Also allowed for easy planer clean up of the scribe line.

Attachments:

Plans bought. Very simple and elegant approach. Im wondering if I couldnt make a fast and cheap version with a plywood router bit for the slots and a 6″ hole saw for the big holes. Might be able to get one out of a single sheet if I do without the shelves and lower horizontal, then it becomes a 30 minute build I could leave behind.

My only complaint for my shop use is that all the parts take up quite a bit of floor space, compared to a full MFT or Dan’s MPT. But, the ease of construction might make it worth tossing, abandoning, or gifting should it not be used for a while. And exterior grade 3/4 ply would allow storage under a deck

Im really seeing this (for me) as a good extra assembly or cutting table. Good to build one when needed, for the cost of a cheap sheet of ply. (If I can get it down to one sheet)

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@montreal_woodworks congrats Eric,
    You know I bought the plans from Dan and Andrew and never can seem to find the time to build either one of them.

I’m looking forward to seeing your build

Hopefully one day I can get one made.

2stix
    Pro

Montreal woodworker, funny you should mention your idea as this is exactly how I made version 1.0. I had some spare construction grade 3/4″ ply and a scrap appliance panel. I had also purchased Dan and Andrews plans as well as Timothy (bench Works) plans and quickly made a table using Andrews slotting ideas. Once I used this very quick easy and cheap “workbench” I noticed other needs that could be solved with some simple tweeks and came up with the version I have here.

As for the holes, these can be used or not used and made any way you feel works,I only did it the way I did to save weight and left only behind what was needed for strength. The shape and size really only effects your needs and uses. I have to change over sites for a couple days at the end of Friday. I’ll try and get some pictures of the different set ups I have found so far.

Not quite sure I understand your comment on floor space though, the picture of the tables in the back of my truck is 2 tables and all the pieces and it is no more then 8″ thick, that’s around the size of 1 MFT. But I guess the pieces being loose maybe what you are referring to.

Again thanks for the kind words on my design, much appreciated.

I haven’t been very active here for awhile but lurk from time to time…I saw your design and had to comment. Great design!! Nice balance of strength, ease of setup, and usability. Thanks for sharing it!!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

2stix
    Pro

As promised, here are a few pictures of different set ups of the table. The bottom piece can be used or not, it does add a great deal of stability, so I guess it would depend on your use at the time if you would use it or not.

2stix
    Pro

For the life of me. I cannot figure out why this forum distorts my pictures so badly. If anyone knows or has advice, please let me know.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I haven’t been very active here for awhile but lurk from time to time…I saw your design and had to comment. Great design!! Nice balance of strength, ease of setup, and usability. Thanks for sharing it!!

Nice to hear from you Andrew, hope you and the family are doing great,
    Miss seeing and following your work here,

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

For the life of me. I cannot figure out why this forum distorts my pictures so badly. If anyone knows or has advice, please let me know.

Are ypu refering to them being ‘distorted’ in their orientatation?

I think somebody with moderator status can re-orient them for you. But why it’s happening in the first place, I’m not sure.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

When I view them they are fine and oriented correctly. That is a really nice table well thought out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

As promised, here are a few pictures of different set ups of the table. The bottom piece can be used or not, it does add a great deal of stability, so I guess it would depend on your use at the time if you would use it or not.

So versatile and adaptable. A really great design!

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

This is a great looking little table.
    I have had the same dilemma with all the designs. One is great for sheet goods, another is good for framing, Paulk’s looks great for trimming a whole house, the Stanton bench is awesome for woodworking in small places, and the mftc seems really great all around.

I have bought 4 sets of plans so far. My parf guide system is on order. I’m just about ready to commit to one design. But which one?

I never know what I’m going to be doing in a day. I work for a flooring store as the in-house carpenter. One week I build a shower display, the next I am remodeling an entire project house my boss has bought to flip or rent out. Or maybe I go to 3 jobs in one day and install reducers and some crown. Sometimes I am doing a complete kitchen gut with new sheetrock and cabinets. It’s just so all over the place I am having a hard time deciding on which one to build.

I really love my boss and job, something different everyday really appeals to me. It’s just hard to commit to one table design in this environment. I am leaning towards the mftc, but then again I get stuck working out in the grass quite a lot.

Welcome to the club. Your design looks great.

I'm the only person I ever hit in the head with a hammer.

I have had the same dilemma with all the designs. One is great for sheet goods, another is good for framing, Paulk’s looks great for trimming a whole house, the Stanton bench is awesome for woodworking in small places, and the mftc seems really great all around.

I have bought 4 sets of plans so far. My parf guide system is on order. I’m just about ready to commit to one design. But which one?

I never know what I’m going to be doing in a day. I work for a flooring store as the in-house carpenter. One week I build a shower display, the next I am remodeling an entire project house my boss has bought to flip or rent out. Or maybe I go to 3 jobs in one day and install reducers and some crown. Sometimes I am doing a complete kitchen gut with new sheetrock and cabinets. It’s just so all over the place I am having a hard time deciding on which one to build.

I really love my boss and job, something different everyday really appeals to me. It’s just hard to commit to one table design in this environment. I am leaning towards the mftc, but then again I get stuck working out in the grass quite a lot.

I bought Dan’s plans but still chose to have a couple of MFSlab’s CNC printed up. In the end, I’m quite pleased with it. I may build an Overanalyze table or Dan’s base at some point though

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I bought Dan’s plans but still chose to have a couple of MFSlab’s CNC printed up. In the end, I’m quite pleased with it. I may build an Overanalyze table or Dan’s base at some point though

I bought both Dans and Andrews plans for both tables, my only problem is finding time to build them lol
    Definitely would be nice to have a table that’s small enough. But quick to set up and take down,

I bought both Dans and Andres plans for both tables, my only problem is finding time to build them lol
    Definitely would be nice to have a table that’s small enough. But quick to set up and take down,

That was a big part in choosing the MFSlab. Just email the plans to a CNC shop and go pick it up (in Laval if you want- they already have them in the system now so should be even cheaper)

Goes on sawhorses so I can use it with cheap ones or build better – or build one of the bases I have the plans for

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I bought both Dans and Andres plans for both tables, my only problem is finding time to build them lol

That was a big part in choosing the MFSlab. Just email the plans to a CNC shop and go pick it up (in Laval if you want- they already have them in the system now so should be even cheaper)

Goes on sawhorses so I can use it with cheap ones or build better – or build one of the bases I have the plans for

Actually that sounds good, I forgot what size of table did you buy,
    How much approximately is it.

Last week I was at the stables, worked with another contractor, he made a table that was pretty cool, used those folding legs and put a PowerBar on the end of the table.
    Simple but effective.

It looks cheap, but it was actually fairly solid.
    Good for rough work, but your idea might be nice.

Actually that sounds good, I forgot what size of table did you buy,
    How much approximately is it.

Last week I was at the stables, worked with another contractor, he made a table that was pretty cool, used those folding legs and put a PowerBar on the end of the table.
    Simple but effective.

It looks cheap, but it was actually fairly solid.
    Good for rough work, but your idea might be nice.

Its about 3X5 plus another narrow bit using some of the rest of the sheet, from a 1 inch thick MDF sheet

It was a bit over $150 including the sheet of MDF itself (which is a pretty big deal, since I don’t know an affordable source of 1″ MDF)

Attachments:
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.639 seconds