dcsimg

I created and built a MFT style portable workbench

This topic contains 33 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author

2stix
    Pro

Hello pros

First post, been lurking for a very long time, and have seen so many great ideas and taken away so much advice and information from all the people sharing on this board.

I mostly due cabinetry work and have came up with a portable workbench, after reading about so many people’s great ideas and creative solutions. I borrowed and stole many great aspects of lots of different designs I have seen over the last few years. I’ve purchased more then a few plans along the way, to either study the design and ideas closer, while giving credit to those that made the effort to share, and to build in the future as they all seem to have their best fit or application and are wonderful in their own ways.

I first caught the bug for the concept of the MFT worktop several years ago and has proved invaluable for me in my line of work. It seemed to solve so many problems I had with certain situations, and gave me an open canvas to explore changing my work flow and how I process my work.

I have spent a few bucks along the way getting a few tools that work best with the work top, like a track saw, but the MFT table was a little to bulky and expensive for my workflow, and did not solve all of my site issues.

So I decided to use some of the ideas I have seen before from other contributors and come up with my own solution. I created it first in sketch up, and made a cut list and models. Once I was sure the scale and usability was there, I made it for real, actually 2, because it’s always better to have 2! Lol. Actually, it works best with the cut list and is most efficient using material.

My goal was to be able to get it into the back of my PU with a cab height topper. I wanted it to be able to be brought into the job in 2 trips or less. I wanted it together in 1 minute or less, same with taking it apart. I wanted the parts to be universal so they can be mixed and matched without thinking about it. I wanted it to be scaleable so i could use it bare bones for quick work, or fit it out if it’s going to be there a while. I wanted it to store tools, boxes, vacumes, whatever at different heights, especially just below the work surface. I wanted limitless clamping options.

I think I made my goal, and it has proved to be one of those tools to me that’s like ” how did I do it before?”

I also purchase the UKJ Parf guide system as it seemed like the best solution for long term as I can infinitely recreate the top whenever I want.

Hopefully I can get the photos and the video to upload and share with you all what I came up with and look forward to hearing your comments.

Of course anybody crafty can make this piece just by looking at the pictures and video, but if anyone wants to buy the plans and cut list in PDF, send me a message and let me know if you want a copy.

Not sure how to post a link on this forum yet.

Attachments:

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

First post, been lurking for a very long time, and have seen so many great ideas and taken away so much advice and information from all the people sharing on this board.

Welcome to the forum Lorenz!

I made it for real, actually 2, because it’s always better to have 2! Lol.

Totally agree. So many situations really demand two of things of that nature.

Hopefully I can get the photos and the video to upload and share with you all what I came up with

Please do! We love pics and videos! 👍

Kevin.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Look like a nice setup, nice to have you out of the shadows. Welcome. everyone has ideas to share, glad you joined in.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think I made my goal, and it has proved to be one of those tools to me that’s like ” how did I do it before?”

Thats how you know that you are on to something! I have experienced that more than once myself! Nice work and welcome to BTP!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

As good as your first post is, I’m looking forward to whatever else you have to share!

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Wow, that’s a great way to introduce yourself. Welcome to BTP. I’ll be looking forward to seeing how you follow that opening act lol.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Welcome to BTP @2stix . Nice job on the benches. What is your next project?

You can also go to the introduce yourself topic and let everyone know your here and a bit about yourself.

Wow, that’s a heck of a way to jump in! Glad to have you aboard there 2stix. I cheated so to speak and bought the MFT/3 from Festool. Like you said, you wondered how you did things before.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That looks like a nice set-up. Nice that it is portable as well. Welcome aboard.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great intro and really good bench! I see elements that resemble the OA table and the MPT, which are both great work surfaces. I can imagine yours is also quite good

2stix
    Pro

One thing I forgot to mention about the table is I wanted it as light as possible. I wanted to try and “engineer” the strength into the table, and not count on mass or thick material to give it strength.

So I decide 12mm Baltic birch would be sufficient material. I lined up vertically the solid strips to bear the weight and the cut outs to reduce the weight ( as well as increase function) and the action of sliding the pieces together to give it rigidity.

The only addition is the vertical ribs along the large panels edges. This serves 2 functions. The ribs grain is oriented perpendicular to the panel adding a magnitude of rigidity to the panel, as well as functioning as a continuous clamping surface from table top to the floor.

My gut instincts for the strength proved right, and the table is surprisingly stable. There is some slight movement perpendicular to the large panels, but it is very slight and has not proved to be a problem at all.

The local wood shop ( Windsor plywood) had medex 4×6 sheets on sale for $25, so I grabbed 2 of those to make full sheets for the tops and still have slightly less the half of the 2 sheets left. I wanted to use medex anyway because of its durability over time in a changing environment, and that particular score, made it an easy choice.

I do have complete plans in metric available in PDF. I used the 32mm number as my base increment and all measurements are a function of this. It turned out to be a great idea, as it helped a bunch in the layout and ” universal” fit of all the pieces and the alignment of the 20mm holes on the table top.

The plans are really only a cut list and an exploded view of the table. Once I completed the technical work originally, the rest was easy. It can be literally cut with as basic as a skill saw and jig saw if needed, but I used a track saw and a router. A simple jig for the router and you can duplicate all of the slots and cut outs quite easily. I used a very inexpensive 1/4″ upcut mortis bit for the router and it made quick work of the whole project.

The neat thing about the table is the design, it can be made to whatever scale works for you and with whatever material you have or want to use. you can set it up with only the 2 big vertical pieces and the 2 horizontal ribs and it is completely stable and usable. Add in the floor side horizontal and the middle panels and boom! Full blow usefulness. It can be used with or without the top as a cutting station, or as I used it recently to add cabinet door panels to a man door ( to make a hidden pantry entrance) without the top, it gave the door full support while allowing me to clamp the door wherever I needed to attach the panels. All while storing my tools on the shelf just below the top.

Wonderfully multifunctional for me that’s for sure!

If anybody does make one, from my plans or just from seeing my idea, I would love to hear about it. Every job site I have set it up at since I made it, has never failed to draw attention and comments.

Just to show off the pantry door I was talking about, here is a picture of the kitchen and the corner of panels hiding the door.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

if anyone wants to buy the plans and cut list in PDF, send me a message and let me know if you want a copy.

Pretty sure per forum rules you’re not supposed to do soliciting here.

BTW, Thanks for posting the video.

Kevin.

2stix
    Pro

Oh sorry doobie. I cannot seem to edit the first post anymore to remove that comment. I was trying to fix the video link and managed to break it completely and I’m locked out of editing the post. I tried adding the video into the post above yours.

Mods can feel free to remove that line of the post if you wish. It was not my attempt to draw business from the site as I figured people would just make it if they wanted it.i just meant if they actually wanted me to give them the plans, to shoot me a couple bucks for my time and I’ll send them a copy. But again, if it is in violation, please remove it.

Oh sorry doobie. I cannot seem to edit the first post anymore to remove that comment. I was trying to fix the video link and managed to break it completely and I’m locked out of editing the post. I tried adding the video into the post above yours.

Mods can feel free to remove that line of the post if you wish. It was not my attempt to draw business from the site as I figured people would just make it if they wanted it.i just meant if they actually wanted me to give them the plans, to shoot me a couple bucks for my time and I’ll send them a copy. But again, if it is in violation, please remove it.

I am quite impressed with the design. Seems to be an inexpensive build.

How did you get the dog holes laid out?

2stix
    Pro

I purchased the UKJ parf dog kit from axminster. The one peter parfitt designed. Dead accurate and easy to use.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technology-parf-guide-system-102278

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I will leave that line in the comment – soliciting is not allowed but it was your first post (a good one too), now you know. If anyone wants the plans, please ask 2stix via PM.

Thanks!

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

2stix
    Pro

So I was loading up the truck and thought I would take a picture of the 2 tables and their parts and show how it fits into the topper area of the truck and to give an idea of the storage space required to store.

Using a truck and topper for my work means it is much more full by the time all of my stuff is in there. But this is the point the table goes in or comes out in the work flow.

I start a new large project next week and hope to get a few more pictures of it in action.

Attachments:

Great table design and execution. Thanks for sharing it. I like the design and it seems flexible. I am a pro-MFT user, even though try are costly. Indespensable in my workflow. Great job.

Orange County, CA

2stix
    Pro

Started a new job today. I will try and post pictures of the table in use throughout this one.

Attachments:

Very nice setup for the worksite. Thanks for the picture. If I did offsite work I would be wanting to do the same.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.849 seconds