dcsimg

I believe a refurbished $360 GLL2-80 crossline laser should last more that two years…

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I know what’s wrong with it, but I’m curious about what’s causing it and what may be done as a user possibly to avert it if that’s part of the issue.

But maybe it simply needs recalibration by the service center. I was just looking at the owners manual online, and if you read the part about testing it for accuracy, it doesn’t show that recalibration can be done by ourselves, but needs to be sent in to Bosch.

Part of the warranty page also reads this….

• 2- and 3-Year Exchange. BOSCH will replace your laser or measuring tool product that has failed when used in conformance with
    product instructions and warnings, with a new or reconditioned laser or measuring tool product of comparable features, for an exchange
    cost. This warranty does not apply if your laser or measuring tool product fails solely due to the need for recalibration.

That’s very interesting on the recalibration part. That sounds like that’s what it needs. You just have to reword what you say when trying to get Bosch to fix it. It’s not broken you just need to recalibrate it.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

OK, finally tracked down Bosch’s warranty info for what they classify “Measuring Tools” (even laser levels). Here’s the link:

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/service/product-warranty/warranty-measuring.html

If you don’t want to read it, it basically says their laser tools have a one year warranty, two year if you register it (I didn’t, but either way, it would have been out of warranty).

Maybe I didn’t include all of the info I should have. In spite of, or maybe better said, because of what is stated below, I still expect this to perform as a new tool.

Mine was a refurb from CPO Outlets. They state that their reconditioned tools come with a manufacturers warranty. Here are some of the things CPO states about their reconditioned tools (which I’m pretty positive come directly from Bosch):

“Our Reconditioned items include all necessary parts and are guaranteed to function like new”.

“Our reconditioned tools are inspected by factory trained technicians and backed by full manufacturers’ warranties.”

“Reconditioned tools get more individual attention than new tools.”

“Tools that pass inspection are awarded manufacturer warranties to give customers comfort that the manufacturer stands behind the factory reconditioned tool.”

I’ve purchased multiple refurb items from them and every single one has looked looked and functioned as if brand new, as did this laser. So I don’t think the fact that it was a refurb has anything to do with it.

Statements from Bosch:

“Each tool is disassembled, inspected, cleaned, rebuilt with new parts, tested, calibrated to exact specifications and fully restored to pristine condition by hand.”

“It’s not a Bosch Remastered Tool until it’s received the official stamp of approval. Literally. Upon passing final inspection, each tool is permanently marked as a testament to Bosch’s commitment to uncompromised quality, power and precision.”

So…I know some will say “well there you go – it’s a refurb”. Yep, but in short, both CPO and Bosch all but say these are as good as or better than new tools.

So maybe the title should have said a refurbished $360 laser should last more than a couple of years…

Either way, it should still be functioning.

Resident Sign Guy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I purchased the GLL2-80 cross line laser level in July, 2014. It is now August, 2016. It’s barely two years old and has been kept in it’s little foam holder from day one. It is lightly used. It is taken care of. It has never been dropped. It has been babied. I take care of my stuff.

This type of thing happened to my PLS180 when it was 2 years old. I took it and talked to the dealer rep and he replaced with a new one. He almost acted like he’d seen it happen before??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Out of curiosity, I set the Bosch next to the DeWalt to see how closely their vertical accuracy was. The DeWalt is dead-on plumb. Bosch line is on the left, DeWalt on the right.

That is a big difference. There is obviously a calibration issue with it. Something making the mechanism stick.
    Have you checked your area for an authorized Bosch Service Center? Even though it appears that you have gone a head and purchased the Dewalt.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Moze
    Dallas, TX

@58chevy No, haven’t checked. Not really looking to put any money into it.

Resident Sign Guy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Not really looking to put any money into it.

Recal is just maintenance, you could at least have them look at it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Moze, I edited the name of the post to better reflect the actual situation. We are working on a solution for you. They definitely want the unit returned so they can see what happened with it and will get you a replacement for it. Bosch is always interested in user’s experiences and looking at tool failures as a way to gain a better understanding of how they can always be improving their tools.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Jim nice to see Bosch taking an interest in the overall customer experience and wanting to see what happened and make it right

Moze looks like a win win to me.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Doobie

I think we’ve all had experiences with losing time or money because of a defective tool. It’s especially frustrating when the tool is a good name brand and costs a decent chunk of change. The fact that Bosch is once again wanting to take a look at this and satisfy the customer experience speaks loudly to me. Too many companies nowadays don’t come close in customer service levels like this. No company is perfect, but I know a few that are mediocre in this area, Bosch not being one of them.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

This is very disappointing to hear. Why can the laser be fixed under warranty but not out? Makes no sense to me. Hopefully Jim can find out something for you Moze.

My guess would be that during the warrenty period a “repair” would be more of a replacement or exchange unless it were something simple like the pendulum lock switch.

redwood
    Pro

The fact that Bosch is once again wanting to take a look at this and satisfy the customer experience speaks loudly to me.

The problem with this is that this experience was not offered to Moze when he contacted Bosch, as a regular Joe Blow. He stated that he did not want any preferential treatment because of his association here.

It’s great that BTP is stepping up on his behalf, but they shouldn’t have to.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

The fact that Bosch is once again wanting to take a look at this and satisfy the customer experience speaks loudly to me.

The problem with this is that this experience was not offered to Moze when he contacted Bosch, as a regular Joe Blow. He stated that he did not want any preferential treatment because of his association here.

My mistake. I forgot about the chat he had posted. My bad!

But why does the info in regards to the warranty in the owners manual contradict the one year limit the chat rep stated. Did that rep drop the ball?

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

My mistake. I forgot about the chat he had posted. My bad!

But why does the info in regards to the warranty in the owners manual contradict the one year limit the chat rep stated. Did that rep drop the ball?

Just because he didn’t register the tool from my understanding

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Excellent point.
    Totally agree.

Excellent point.
    Totally agree.

Agree Mark, that is the biggest issue

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Perhaps because Moze’s laser was refurbished it has a different warranty? If not that, then the rep likely misspoke.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

OK

As moze previously said the refurbished products come with the same warranty, they are checked over really well by bosch and thats how they stand behind it.

Doobie

Just because he didn’t register the tool from my understanding

While I don’t like that system and believe if you provide a receipt it should sufficient, I do have a tendency to register all my tools. Especially tools. Different companies have different nuances when it comes to making claims in this area, and it pays to be on forums to be better informed about how differemt companies operate in regards to their warranties and service levels.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

As was mentioned, I really am not looking for preferential treatment. I posted what I did because I think if an item has a potential flaw and a short lifespan, others should be made aware of it in case they’re considering purchasing the same item.

The frustration was that 1.) there is no reason this tool should malfunction after just two years, 2.) it cost me a great deal of time to remove and reinstall a bunch of signs in a non-air-conditioned building in 100° heat and 3.) the online rep basically informed me I didn’t have any options other than sending me a link where I could spend $360 on a new one.

The 3rd point is honestly the most frustrating. While I understand there are warranties, I think consideration should be given. I think he should have said to send it in and if it didn’t appear to be abused or dropped (this thing is pristine) then they would at least offer to fix it or replace it or at the very least, heavily discount another one.

As far as registering tools – I don’t do it. I have a couple of tools entered into my Bosch whatchyamacallit account, but between log-in names and passwords for online bill pay, log-in names and password for forums, log-in names and passwords for hotel reward accounts, etc., etc., etc….I don’t need one more thing to do. I have a receipt that gives all of the required information. Registration seems a bit redundant.

@bethepro I sincerely do appreciate your assistance Jim and I’m in contact with a Bosch rep to get it sent in. It’s not clear if they just want to look at it or actually fix it and send it back.

Resident Sign Guy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m surprise Moze didn’t spring for the new green laser?? They say 4Xs brighter?? IDK. I want one.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.692 seconds