dcsimg

I believe a refurbished $360 GLL2-80 crossline laser should last more that two years…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Moze
    Dallas, TX

I don’t think the fact that I’m (currently) a moderator here or the fact that this is a Bosch site shout in any way influence experiences regarding the longevity of a Bosch tool or customer service related to said warranty, so here we go…

I purchased the GLL2-80 cross line laser level in July, 2014. It is now August, 2016. It’s barely two years old and has been kept in it’s little foam holder from day one. It is lightly used. It is taken care of. It has never been dropped. It has been babied. I take care of my stuff.

Long story short, if Bosch lasers are out of warranty, you’re out of luck.

As you’ll see in the online chat below, the best Bosch can apparently do is offer a link to an online retailer where you can spend another $360 for the same laser. Yeah, I don’t think so. I believe I’ll go back to DeWalt with their three year warranty.

Not happy about this at all.

Eugene: May I have the laser purchase date?

Moze: July 14, 2014

Eugene: Thanks. The laser has a year warranty from the purchase date. We do not provide repair service for this laser outside of the warranty period.

Moze: I understand. I talked to a rep earlier and I have the option to send it in for an estimate – that’s what I’m attempting to do.

Eugene: As mentioned above we do not repair the product, the service center doesn’t provide repair estimates on products they don’t fix.

Eugene: Here is a link to an online seller of the model: Bosch GLL2-80
    Moze: There is the option for warranty request and then there is the option to have the cost estimated.

Moze: Why do I need a link to a seller?

Moze: The previous rep (Ellen) said that it can be sent in for an estimate for repair even if it was outside of the warranty period.

Eugene: The options are listed for all products. The link is provided because you will need a new laser.

Eugene: I’m sorry for the incorrect information. There are no internal parts for laser repair.

Moze: So not only has the laser failed me on a job costing me time and money, I’m being told two different things by two different reps.

Moze: Back to DeWalt it is. Thanks for your help. A $300+ laser should last more than a couple of years. It’s barely been used.

Eugene: Here is a link to view the replacement parts offered:

Eugene: Bosch GLL2-80

Moze: I’ll be sure to list my experience on the Be The Pro forum.

Moze: Not real happy with the laser or the failure of Bosch to be able/willing to do anything about it.

Moze: Stuff like this costs manufacturers customers…

Moze: Thanks for your help.

Eugene: Thank you for contacting Bosch Tools. Goodbye

Chat session has been ended by the site representative.

Resident Sign Guy

That just isn’t right. I know it happens, had similiar problem with the big radio after I bought it at Lowes a few years ago. Sorry it had to be a tool that you use so much

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’ve read about similar issues on amazon. Although when they say it’s not repairable I believe them, there’s only one board inside and it’s not worth the time to replace or repair it.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Yeah….bottom line is, unfortunately, I will never buy another Bosch laser level again. I’m also going to share my experience because if I knew this to be an issue, I’d sure want to know before spending that kind of money.

Resident Sign Guy

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Moze, I am looking into this. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

@jzmtl
    A laser of that cost should at least have some kind of repairable parts, it’d be excessive if they were effectively throwaway units.

@moze

Given that its dead now are you willing to hand it over to a friend or business that can figure out what died inside of it? It might be some tiny electronic part that costs a couple of cents that failed.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

@jzmtl
    A laser of that cost should at least have some kind of repairable parts, it’d be excessive if they were effectively throwaway units.

I’m sure it does and repairable if one is so inclined, but Bosch probably figured it’s not worth keeping parts on hand and it’s cheaper to just replace the unit.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

@bethepro

I appreciate it Jim, thank you.

I want to be clear though that I definitely don’t expect or want any preferential treatment just because I’m on this forum. The laser lasted through the warranty period and ‘rules are rules’….I know I’m not entitled to anything. The frustration is largely coming from the fact that Bosch can’t even repair it along with the fact that there’s ZERO reason this tool shouldn’t last for years and years when cared for properly. All of that combined, unfortunately results in turning to another brand for laser levels from here forward.

On my last install, the laser was on a monopod that I mount to my cart. I always level the monopod as best I can and allow the self-leveling of the laser to compensate for any minor amount that the level is off-level. I installed dozens of signs off-level due to this. It wasn’t enough that I noticed right away but it was enough that I had to redo my work. It’s frustrating watching money go down the drain because you have to redo something and then out the money for a laser to replace the one that failed.

Resident Sign Guy

Anonymous
    Inactive

Same thing happen to me on my gll30 when I open it inside I realize there is this very thin wire that connects the lasers power terminals it just separated from there if you can solder should be easy fix take me like 2 minuets nothing else can go wrong inside other then lose connection. And always use rechargeable battery on these tools cuz regular batteries can leak and will ruin ur tool

Moze
    Dallas, TX

@jzmtl

@moze
    Given that its dead now are you willing to hand it over to a friend or business that can figure out what died inside of it? It might be some tiny electronic part that costs a couple of cents that failed.

@reflector
    Well, it’s not technically dead. The vertical laser line functions as does the manual mode where you can lock the pendulum and tilt the laser to form an angled laser line (for stair rails, etc.). So maybe someone would get some use out of it.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

So, a quick update….

The entire laser apparatus (the upper ‘horizontal’ laser and the lower ‘vertical’ laser, is one piece. So when the laser is tipped toward the front or back, not only does the horizontal beam not self-level, neither does the vertical since they’re both part of the same piece.

Resident Sign Guy

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That is pretty disappointing, even if it was just the board, they should sell or send out a replacement. The boards are cheap to produce.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I don’t think it’s the board. The pendulum moves but not until it the level is tipped past a certain point. It’s basically supposed be be free-swinging. It’s like it’s sticking or something.

Same thing happen to me on my gll30 when I open it inside I realize there is this very thin wire that connects the lasers power terminals it just separated from there if you can solder should be easy fix take me like 2 minuets nothing else can go wrong inside other then lose connection. And always use rechargeable battery on these tools cuz regular batteries can leak and will ruin ur tool

I definitely appreciate your response, but I’m not sure how a broken wire would cause what’s happening here.

Resident Sign Guy

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Ouch, that’s expensive. Amazon.ca wants 605.97 CAD. Plus tax.
    Can’t believe it’s not repairable.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Out of curiosity, I set the Bosch next to the DeWalt to see how closely their vertical accuracy was. The DeWalt is dead-on plumb. Bosch line is on the left, DeWalt on the right.

Resident Sign Guy

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

This is surprising….I thought Bosch lasers were supposed to be top quality!

I have a couple of them and my partner has a couple himself…here’s hoping they last longer than yours did.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have a couple of them and my partner has a couple himself…here’s hoping they last longer than yours did.

I have always thought the same thing. I have a gll2-10 that I havent babied and it still read perfect.

Doobie

I know what’s wrong with it, but I’m curious about what’s causing it and what may be done as a user possibly to avert it if that’s part of the issue.

But maybe it simply needs recalibration by the service center. I was just looking at the owners manual online, and if you read the part about testing it for accuracy, it doesn’t show that recalibration can be done by ourselves, but needs to be sent in to Bosch.

Part of the warranty page also reads this….

• 2- and 3-Year Exchange. BOSCH will replace your laser or measuring tool product that has failed when used in conformance with
    product instructions and warnings, with a new or reconditioned laser or measuring tool product of comparable features, for an exchange
    cost. This warranty does not apply if your laser or measuring tool product fails solely due to the need for recalibration.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have always thought the same thing. I have a gll2-10 that I havent babied and it still read perfect.

My GLL2-50 has been knocked off my 3rd hand poles a few times. It still reads as true as the day I got it.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

This is very disappointing to hear. Why can the laser be fixed under warranty but not out? Makes no sense to me. Hopefully Jim can find out something for you Moze.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.496 seconds