dcsimg

HVAC Question: Venting Window Unit Into Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hey y’all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum; plumbing’s as close to HVAC as I could find on here.

As the title says, I’ve got an attic that’s a great living space, except it gets super hot in the summer. The one vent from the house AC doesn’t do a thing. It’s got a huge front window (south facing, haha!) but it’d be expensive and ugly to put a window unit in.

There is a side crawl space, though, through which a 4″ dryer-vent-type hose runs from the downstairs bathroom’s ceiling vent, about ten feet, and onto outside. It’d be pretty easy to mount a window unit in the wall between the attic and the crawl space, and attach its exhaust hose to that from the bathroom air vent.

Would this be legit? Some manufacturers I’ve researched have warned against attaching window units to dryer vents, mostly because exhaust hoses for AC’s are 6″. Just wondering if anyone’s done something like this in practice.

Thanks!

Hey y’all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum; plumbing’s as close to HVAC as I could find on here.

As the title says, I’ve got an attic that’s a great living space, except it gets super hot in the summer. The one vent from the house AC doesn’t do a thing. It’s got a huge front window (south facing, haha!) but it’d be expensive and ugly to put a window unit in.

There is a side crawl space, though, through which a 4″ dryer-vent-type hose runs from the downstairs bathroom’s ceiling vent, about ten feet, and onto outside. It’d be pretty easy to mount a window unit in the wall between the attic and the crawl space, and attach its exhaust hose to that from the bathroom air vent.

Would this be legit? Some manufacturers I’ve researched have warned against attaching window units to dryer vents, mostly because exhaust hoses for AC’s are 6″. Just wondering if anyone’s done something like this in practice.

Thanks!

Hey welcome to BTP , personally I’d go with a slim Jim unit , it’s basically a compressor gets installed outside and the head can be installed on a wall inside the attic , might be a better option , and more powerful , they can be 8 thousand btu up till around 24 thousand split heads. Just Google that should give you an idea.

Thanks, I’d not thought of that option! Mini-split might be the way to go.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Thanks!

Window manufacturers or AC manufacturers?

Window manufacturers or AC manufacturers?

AC.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.332 seconds