dcsimg

HVAC Question: Venting Window Unit Into Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hey y’all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum; plumbing’s as close to HVAC as I could find on here.

As the title says, I’ve got an attic that’s a great living space, except it gets super hot in the summer. The one vent from the house AC doesn’t do a thing. It’s got a huge front window (south facing, haha!) but it’d be expensive and ugly to put a window unit in.

There is a side crawl space, though, through which a 4″ dryer-vent-type hose runs from the downstairs bathroom’s ceiling vent, about ten feet, and onto outside. It’d be pretty easy to mount a window unit in the wall between the attic and the crawl space, and attach its exhaust hose to that from the bathroom air vent.

Would this be legit? Some manufacturers I’ve researched have warned against attaching window units to dryer vents, mostly because exhaust hoses for AC’s are 6″. Just wondering if anyone’s done something like this in practice.

Thanks!

Hey y’all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum; plumbing’s as close to HVAC as I could find on here.

As the title says, I’ve got an attic that’s a great living space, except it gets super hot in the summer. The one vent from the house AC doesn’t do a thing. It’s got a huge front window (south facing, haha!) but it’d be expensive and ugly to put a window unit in.

There is a side crawl space, though, through which a 4″ dryer-vent-type hose runs from the downstairs bathroom’s ceiling vent, about ten feet, and onto outside. It’d be pretty easy to mount a window unit in the wall between the attic and the crawl space, and attach its exhaust hose to that from the bathroom air vent.

Would this be legit? Some manufacturers I’ve researched have warned against attaching window units to dryer vents, mostly because exhaust hoses for AC’s are 6″. Just wondering if anyone’s done something like this in practice.

Thanks!

Hey welcome to BTP , personally I’d go with a slim Jim unit , it’s basically a compressor gets installed outside and the head can be installed on a wall inside the attic , might be a better option , and more powerful , they can be 8 thousand btu up till around 24 thousand split heads. Just Google that should give you an idea.

Thanks, I’d not thought of that option! Mini-split might be the way to go.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Thanks!

Window manufacturers or AC manufacturers?

Window manufacturers or AC manufacturers?

AC.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Hope I understood this right, you want to cool down the attic. Why complicate yourself then, just get a solar attic fan or install a portable AC, it’s an extra expense but it would be much easier for your situation I think. I’d go for the solar fan, hands down, got one for the attic too and I now use the space as an extra entertainment center cause it’s not scorching hot anymore.
    https://www.optimainstitute.com/fans/solar-attic-fan.html
    https://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Your-Attic-Cool-in-Summer

I think it’s a good idea with a solar fan , definitely can’t hurt 🤷‍♂️

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Thanks!

Are you talking about window unit or portable ac unit with a hose?
    Why wouldn’t just vent the hose threw the roof instead of going with bathroom vent?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

If your bath exhaust fan is on at the same time the window unit is on, wouldn’t they be both expelling into the hose? Will you end up with window AC’s exhaust running back into the bathroom?

@pnelson513 Another cheap trick to lower the added heat transfer is tint those windows you described . I wouldn’t hook into the other exhausting pipe . My buddy just put two mini splits in got a killer deal but he’s a mechanical contractor .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.317 seconds