dcsimg

How to saw a log

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

chainsaw, bowsaw or a good old fashioned handsaw. They have some with more aggressive teeth for cutting something like this. It is available from Woodcraft here.

Attachments:

A chainsaw is going to be the best bet for relatively fresh trees that are that big.

I own this attachment for my chainsaw for cutting boards, if you ever are interested in cutting that direction on a log. It works well for cutting a few logs at a time, but if you had more than a few logs to cut or the logs are really valuable (the chainsaw method has more waste than bandsaw), then its worth hiring a sawmill to cut them for you.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forestry-Woodcutting/Portable-Sawmills/Granberg-Alaskan-Sawmills/Granberg-Alaskan-Sawmills/Granberg-Small-Log-Alaskan-Mill.axd

Jummul
    Pro

I think we all had a different idea of of your plan – the picture helps.
    It looks like it has some sort of small feet on it, probably ajustable. The base wouldn’t have to be perfectly square that way and wouldn’t rock on a hard floor.
    Also, what would you use as ‘square’ on a log that’s not absolutely straight?
    I’d get the base ->close<- to whatever appears perpendicular, and reasonably flat and then tack on some shims of the same approximate thickness as the feet I’d be using. You can more easily judge the bottom by measuring the slight rise from a flat floor than measuring the overall length. Then get the top level. Put the feet on and recheck, rotating to see how flat the bottom really is and if any further flattening is needed. Then sand out the top.
    I’d suggest a router with a large straight bit, belt sander with coarse paper, and a random orbital sander with 60 to 120 grit paper for the top.
    What finish do you intend to apply?
    Consider also the weight involved here. You may want to remove some of the bottom center, maybe 20% of the diameter as deep as you reasonably can.

This is actually very helpful. The weight won’t be an issue, it’s not very heavy. However removing some of the bottom center might helpt against moisture problems.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Three “feet” would be a great idea. Three attachment points make a solid base by definition. As far as cutting I can’t add much. Maybe grab a partner and a two person saw and go at like the lumberjacks used do. Some work but it might be fun too.

sergey061478
    Blocked

thanks for clarifying everything with a picture. quite honestly i could not understand what you wanted to do.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

If you have access to a chainsaw but aren’t accustomed to using it, you could build a guide out of some 2×4’s, maybe 20″ long for your 15″ log, attach one to each side of the log as close to perpendicular as you can, and use them as a guide to saw straight down through the log. Get your log blocked up off the ground a few inches and as level as you can. A sharp chain and a bar in good condition are most important for a chainsaw to cut straight. Don’t ‘see saw’ through it, just let the saw cut straight down

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.307 seconds