dcsimg

How to handle broken patio slab

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I’m not that familiar with masonry and I have a crappy patio slab that’s breaking from tree roots. I’ve been wondering for years what to do with it. The highest point I found is 5/8″ high, getting to be a trip hazard. Since I live in an apartment complex, I don’t own the property and have to watch my pennies on what I do. But, since I manage the place I have free rein other than that.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions…

Pat

redwood
    Pro

Unfortunately, If you want a nice patio the only way you are really going to fix it is have Cali and Dirty come for a visit and take it out.

Short of that, one of the rewards here is the quickcrete concrete crack filler.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If it’s tree roots I think they will keep causing trouble until the tree is taken out.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Ive seen tree roots raise a slab 4 inches. You should at least cut the root where it enters under the slab. Im sure your on top of this anyway.

redwood
    Pro

What, no volunteers to help out one of our own?

But I agree, the tree roots will have to be handled for any slab to have a chance.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I agree, the tree roots would have to go before you did anything to the slab. The sidewalk in front of my house was heaved in several places from roots from a large maple tree. The tree was causing other issues (hanging over the porch roof, and a section of the tree was dead) so I cut the tree down, pulled the bad slabs, removed the roots, and poured some new sidewalks.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Fix what’s causing the problem then fix the result of that problem which is the slab.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I just replaced 3 like that last fall. about the only thing you can do is tear it out and install new concrete. compact the area under the slab real well and use rebar this time. There are only two kinds of concrete, that that is cracked and that that will crack. rebar wull keep both of them together and ensure you do not get differential movement in the cracks.

Sealing, caulking, overlaying are only cosmetic fixes and are like putting lipstick on a pig, in the end you still have a pig

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Maybe its time to wrap your leg in an ace bandage and place a few bandaides on your face so you can bring up the issue with the property manager.

These problems cause lawsuit. Given your kind nature, having it fixed will be enough. πŸ™‚

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Call it a skate board park and up the rent ???

RSG
    Pro
    Niles, OH

I agree with Kurt, He couldnt of said it much better

SamM
    Pro

Not much left to add after Kurt so I’ll just +1 on the advice to do it right. But I’m sure that is already your method anyways.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Unfortunately, If you want a nice patio the only way you are really going to fix it is have Cali and Dirty come for a visit and take it out.

Short of that, one of the rewards here is the quickcrete concrete crack filler.

LOL, It’s funny I was thinking the same thing.

To all; This is probably a stupid question but with a case like this if ya cut down the tree will that kill the roots too? Or would you need to cut them out also

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

yep, tree has to go first.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Oh, I am absolutely thrilled that I asked you guys for help!!!

One of the things I have been wanting to do is to remove that dang tree. Now, I can let the owners know that I’m removing the tree based on superior expert advice πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

And, I LOVE the idea of the skate park ROFLMAO!!

Three years ago I made the executive decision to remove 2 ficus trees from in front of one of my 3 bedroom single story apartments because I feared their roots might crack the foundation. The owners were really mad.

Then guess what happened a year later! Not only had the foundation been cracking, hot water started to seep in the back bedroom. Evidently, the tree roots broke the entire length of the hot water pipes under the slab. I told the owners and they finally realized I had done the right thing.

The tenants had been getting enormously high gas bills due to their hot water heater running all the time – and they never told me. We ran pex through the crawl space above the ceilings and the gas bill dropped dramatically.

Thanks so much for posting!! I am gonna tear out that dang tree once and for all. πŸ™‚

Pat

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Ficus trees are beautiful but man they sure are destructive

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

For a quick temporary fix (after the tree’s gone), you could grind the areas that are trip hazzards.

Diamond cup wheel on a 7″ grinder would make quick work of it.

--Steve

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

For a quick temporary fix (after the tree’s gone), you could grind the areas that are trip hazzards.

Diamond cup wheel on a 7β€³ grinder would make quick work of it.

I’ll try that. Thanks.

Pat

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Of course get that tree out of there. If you have enough space you could put pavers on top of the slab.

Best thing to do is rip out the old cement but pavers over the slab can be done pretty easy.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Maybe its time to wrap your leg in an ace bandage and place a few bandaides on your face so you can bring up the issue with the property manager.

These problems cause lawsuit. Given your kind nature, having it fixed will be enough. :)

I would say have a discussion with the property manager as well prehaps without the theatrics. It is a hazard and part of there job is keeping the place safe. They may just tear out the patio and leave it like that though.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.461 seconds