dcsimg

How to embed pictures into a thread

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  RonW 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Embedding pictures on this site is much like any other forum on the web. Embedding them also allows you to have a bigger picture and put it anywhere between your text. This you can’t do when uploading a picture to the site. Also it puts less stress on the site sense the sites server doesn’t actually host the picture. So here is how to do it.

First you have to find the direct http link to the picture you want. Let’s say you want a picture of a hammer so you google hammer and find one you like. After finding the you want you can find the direct link by right clicking on it and hitting open image. The address for the direct image link should be in the top of your browser and should look like this

http://pngimg.com/upload/hammer_PNG3885.png

Next take that link and copy it and paste it into your comment where you want the picture to show up in your text. Then right before the link with no spaces type this [ i m g ] then right after the link type this with no spaces [ / i m g ]

It will show up like this

Any direct picture link live on the web should work. This includes imgur pictures snapfish photo bucket ect. Hope this helps

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

What about pictures that we take ourselves like tools and shop/ work pictures @austin ? Is there a better way to do that than just uploading them directly? Thanks for the tips!

Charlie

Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@cmeyer25 you can upload them to a image hosting site such as photobucket and after you upload it, it will generate a direct link for the picture

I always wondered how to do this. Thanks for the info. Perhaps this thread can go to the top “yellow” threads for easy reference.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Yes this would be a good sticky. I am sure @bethepro would like that.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Maybe not. The problem with this is if the link no longer exists in the future, it no longer works. It’s a bummer when you find old thread info and it’s linked images are no longer showing up and such pictures are critical to what is being discussed and/or described.

While there may be less strain on the resources of the site, I would believe that sites of this nature don’t care about those extra resources being used at the expense of what can now be useless older content because pictures are gone. Sites like this somewhat rely on people using it as a resource.

I recall years ago there was this very ingeneous fellow named Niki from Poland who would post step by step photos and detailed instructions of every jig or shop improvement or outright inventions he would make. He posted these on many woodworking related sites. Some of you members with woodworking backgrounds likely remember this guy.

Well, one day Niki died. We knew this as his wife had logged in and said such on some forums. Shortly thereafter, all the photos in the countless threads he made all turned into those infuriating little funny boxes that represent the links were broken. Basically, he was using photobucket and his account was deleted after he died or something to that effect.

I remember how sad that was. This guy could have filled books with all the stuff he had posted over the years. Now, whenever you’d come accross one of his threads, it’s like reading a book with all the pages ripped out. Such a loss imo.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Maybe not. The problem with this is if the link no longer exists in the future, it no longer works. It’s a bummer when you find old thread info and it’s linked images are no longer showing up and such pictures are critical to what is being discussed and/or described.

While there may be less strain on the resources of the site, I would believe that sites of this nature don’t care about those extra resources being used at the expense of what can now be useless older content because pictures are gone. Sites like this somewhat rely on people using it as a resource.

@doobie,
    Valid point about the links to pictures disappearing.
    I for one never delete or move pictures that I’ve put up in my Bucket, for that reason.
    What happens to them if I go, well I wont be around to care.
    If they were such a great resource, I suggest you save the pictures/thread to a word document. I have a ton of pictures on my computer for future reference just for this reason.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I prefer imgur for this reason, it automatically gives you all the proper code and the link tag to insert in to the forum.

Another limitation of embedding rather than attaching is that if someone runs an image search, they will be brought to the image location and not to BTP.

Instead, if you post it up on BTP, it will show up in an image search

If you give it a good searchable name, like Bosch-12v-heated-jacket.jpg it is likely to be among the top results, getting more eyes on your article

Dan
    Pro
    Mooreshill, IN

That does help, but I’Lloyd still mess it up somehow.

No matter how good you think you are you there is always someone that is better, or can teach you something.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s done the same way we add emojis talked about here.
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/the-official-emotions-thread/
    This thread was closed and called fluff.

This thread should get a lot of talk…

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

That’s good to know, thanks @dirtywhiteboy and @austin I don’t use a photo storage site, but maybe I can do similar things with IG and Facebook?

Charlie

Instagram

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

It is now sticky.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

It is now sticky.

Just not stuck at the top. lmao

Hate that one got closed. Lots of good info there.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

That’s good to know, thanks dirtywhiteboy and austin I don’t use a photo storage site, but maybe I can do similar things with IG and Facebook?

@cmeyere25,
    IG links seem to cut off the bottom half of the image and BookFace pictures can olny be linked to. Also, with BookFace for those of us who don’t do it, we can only see the image if your privacy settings are not too restrictive.

Still best to use one of the free image hosting sites, one trick is to shrink the size of the photos being uploaded, that’s what I do when I upload them to my bucket.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Thanks Austin this is some good information

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It is now sticky.

Hate that one got closed. Lots of good info there 🙂 .

I guess the typed in smilies work the best here??? 😉

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Here’s a page of all the BB Codes,,
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

Dirty

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Here’s a page of all the BB Codes,,
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

Thanks for the link Dirty. Gonna bookmark this one.

It is now sticky.

Hate that one got closed. Lots of good info there:).

I guess the typed in smilies work the best here???;)

I don’t think so!

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.872 seconds