dcsimg

How to build a log cabin

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    staker
    Pro

You could also get the listings for propeties that are auctioned off for unpaid taxes, That’s what dignam does. You pay for ontario tax property listings.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

When I see those timber and log homes although they are beautiful I see it as a big wast to resources. Ti looks like you could build a whole street of homes with the logs in one home.

Doobie

When I see those timber and log homes although they are beautiful I see it as a big wast to resources. Ti looks like you could build a whole street of homes with the logs in one home.

We’ve got sheetsloads of trees here in Canada! No shortage in sight.

For those kinds of log builds, it’s more about the time and labour to build them and the higher cost of selective tree culling in remote locales that sets the price.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

For those kinds of log builds, it’s more about the time and labour to build them and the higher cost of selective tree culling in remote locales that sets the price.

Doesn’t a lot of our lumber go to the states ? I know there is no shortage of wood in British Columbia .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Doesn’t a lot of our lumber go to the states ? I know there is no shortage of wood in British Columbia .

yes a lot of it does go to the sates then it comes back to us in a different form.

Thank you thats a great video.

staker
    Pro

Here is another site with land listings more nothern part of ontario.

http://www.landwatch.com/Canada_land_for_sale/Ontario/Land

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

thanks, this looks really promising

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

thanks, this looks really promising

@staker
    Haven’t seen that site.

ThanX

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

sergey061478
    Blocked

this looks just awesome. I never thought a log cabin could be built using mortar to hold the wood.

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

Here a link it is in Finnish but can just watch.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/_3J5wkJFJzE?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”578″ width=”770″></iframe></figure>

Thanks for posting great videos. I am not planning to build a log cabin any time soon, but this is good to know type of thing. Worthy of bookmarking.

BryanT

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I would love to do this. When I was 20 years old I found out my Grandfather Wilfred built his own cabin and catamaran. Would like to give it a shot at some point in my life also.

A Working Pro since 2004

Bobcdn
    Pro

Never seen the cord wood construction before- very cool.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Closest I came was owning a log home a lot of years ago. We moved it, one piece, about 7 miles to a new foundation on 5 acres. Built in the 1840s, it was 10 logs high, 2 storeys, 8′ ceilings, centre hall, 4 bedrooms.

Wish I hadn’t sold it.

It’s a little less than 2 hours from the big smoke. Just about as far as I am right now.

Back then, logs were cut and split into 8″ thick portions, flattened with an adze an stacked with dovetailed joints on the corners. Some of the logs in that house were 30″ high. Sill was hemlock and the rest was pine.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Closest I came was owning a log home a lot of years ago. We moved it, one piece, about 7 miles to a new foundation on 5 acres. Built in the 1840s, it was 10 logs high, 2 storeys, 8′ ceilings, centre hall, 4 bedrooms.

Wish I hadn’t sold it.

It’s a little less than 2 hours from the big smoke. Just about as far as I am right now.

Back then, logs were cut and split into 8″ thick portions, flattened with an adze an stacked with dovetailed joints on the corners. Some of the logs in that house were 30″ high. Sill was hemlock and the rest was pine.

Sounds really nice. And to think that was all done by hand. They really must have spent some time building the house.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.457 seconds