dcsimg

How to build a log cabin

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Im thinking if I ever build a log house it will probably look something like this />

Is that one that was built on that TV Show, Timber Kings? Now they build some really nice log castles (homes). :)

This house isn’t from Timber Kings as far as I know but they do builds some beautiful log homes .

staker
    Pro

Im thinking if I ever build a log house it will probably look something like this :-)

you plan on having a lot more kids and wives to fill the place

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I would love to be able to build a log cabin or even a shed in log cabin style. Actually a shed might be interesting. I wonder how to get enough trees for a project like that…

I’ve always wanted to do this for a smallish outdoor structure.

(Don’t skip this video guys, it is really cool!)

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/-b5Adc8ur7E?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    LV even has a book available on it…

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=49220&cat=1,46096,46108

That is a cool video. I think that would look awesome as a big firplace wall in a great room.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@cranbrook2 How much is land out your way? I think you are something like 2 hours away from Toronto?

Doobie

That is a cool video. I think that would look awesome as a big firplace wall in a great room.

That would be nice. Never really thought of it in a living space, but it would be fine.

cranbrook2
    Pro

@cranbrook2 How much is land out your way? I think you are something like 2 hours away from Toronto?

It is much cheaper here than it is in most places .You can get a house with 2 acres for $ 100,000 – 150,000 easily .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Im thinking if I ever build a log house it will probably look something like this :-)

Man that is one very nice home.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

It is much cheaper here than it is in most places .You can get a house with 2 acres for $ 100,000 – 150,000 easily .

What about just acreage as I want to build something from ground up?

cranbrook2
    Pro

@58chev do you think we can find 5 acres somewhere 1 hour north of Toronto to buy and build one of these? I am seriously thinking about doing that and spending time building it from scratch. Along with it being totally off the grid.

@r-ice,
    Affordable and only 1 hour away from the big smoke? That would be quite the find, I think. Even then it would probably have all kinds of building restrictions from all the tree huggers.

What do you think then? 1 hour and a half? Where would be a good place to look?

There use to be a magazine out of Barrie area that advertised a lot of cheap land all over Canada , A lot of it was up north and out east , nova scotia area . I cant think of the name of the magazine .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@58chev do you think we can find 5 acres somewhere 1 hour north of Toronto to buy and build one of these? I am seriously thinking about doing that and spending time building it from scratch. Along with it being totally off the grid.

@r-ice,
    Affordable and only 1 hour away from the big smoke? That would be quite the find, I think. Even then it would probably have all kinds of building restrictions from all the tree huggers.

There use to be a magazine out of Barrie area that advertised a lot of cheap land all over Canada , A lot of it was up north and out east , nova scotia area . I cant think of the name of the magazine .

found it, http://www.dignam.com/category/southern-ontario/
    dingnams but it seems like it is too far and they don’t seem to have as many properties as they used to.

cranbrook2
    Pro

@r-ice,

dingnams but it seems like it is too far and they don’t seem to have as many properties as they used to.

That’s the one ! I couldn’t remember the name , it used to come in our mail all the time .I wasn’t sure if they still were around . Ill have to take a look at it .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@cranbrook2 well I want to look at the land this year and maybe purchase it this year too as long as I can keep just bareland least expensive. I am checking MLS, heck if I get one I can take my time getting building permits and all, I’d use it to camp and stuff.

cranbrook2
    Pro

@cranbrook2 well I want to look at the land this year and maybe purchase it this year too as long as I can keep just bareland least expensive. I am checking MLS, heck if I get one I can take my time getting building permits and all, I’d use it to camp and stuff.

Ill take a look around here , there were a few places a year or two ago that were roughly 5 – 7 acres of mostly bush and they were selling fairly cheap . Just for the land no house .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Ill take a look around here , there were a few places a year or two ago that were roughly 5 – 7 acres of mostly bush and they were selling fairly cheap . Just for the land no house .

how were they listed? I’ve been looking at mls and the prices seem kind of absurd for just land.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Yep that’s the one, I use to be on their mailing list been a while since I’ve the booklet.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

how were they listed? I’ve been looking at mls and the prices seem kind of absurd for just land.

Problem is, these days if it’s just land for sale 95% of the time there will be building restrictions due to it being considered “Conservation”

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I like that show timber kings. It takes a lot of skill to build things the way that they do. I wish they would show the budget for some of those massive projects.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yep that’s the one, I use to be on their mailing list been a while since I’ve the booklet.

I think they must of changed the rules or something, to get their mailings you have to pay them 20 bucks a year. On the website it shows properties that are really way to far out.

cranbrook2
    Pro

I think they must of changed the rules or something, to get their mailings you have to pay them 20 bucks a year. On the website it shows properties that are really way to far out.

It wouldn’t be so bad if you have lots of money you could buy your own plane and fly there to save a lot of time . 🙂

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

It wouldn’t be so bad if you have lots of money you could buy your own plane and fly there to save a lot of time . :-)

heck even a helicopter would be nice, or a nice sailboat.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.502 seconds