dcsimg

How to build a log cabin

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    staker
    Pro

Here a link it is in Finnish but can just watch.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have watched that one before.
    Here is a really good documentary of Dick Proenneke. This guys story has inspired me to one day want to build a log cabin.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I would love to be able to build a log cabin or even a shed in log cabin style. Actually a shed might be interesting. I wonder how to get enough trees for a project like that…

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is a cool video , I have built about 700 log homes but for the birds 🙂 Someday id like to build one of my own designs into a real log home .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I would love to be able to build a log cabin or even a shed in log cabin style. Actually a shed might be interesting. I wonder how to get enough trees for a project like that…

@robotmaster5379
    One possibility is to purchase firewood in log form. I know a guy who purchases 10 cord uncut, then all summer long that is what he does. Cuts and stacks it all.

You can see the stack of logs in his yard.

— Glenn Botting

Attachments:
    TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I have always wanted a log cabin in the Rocky Mountains here in Colorado. Maybe one day I can build one lol

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

If I can in the next 5 years save enough to buy a piece of land, this is what I want to do. A log cabin and a regular house built on it.

Doobie

I’ve always wanted to do this for a smallish outdoor structure.

(Don’t skip this video guys, it is really cool!)

LV even has a book available on it…

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=49220&cat=1,46096,46108

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A log cabin would really be nice. I wonder how energy efficient they are?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-b5Adc8ur7E%3Ffeature%3Doembed%26wmode%3Dopaque

Now that would be a neat project for a garden shed.

— Glenn Botting

cranbrook2
    Pro

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/-b5Adc8ur7E?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

That is a great video , I love the look after it is all cleaned up .Not crazy about the hillbilly song though 🙂

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/-b5Adc8ur7E?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Interesting look. There’s an old farm house near our summer place that’s done like that, but with all different colored bottles.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is a cool video , I have built about 700 log homes but for the birds :-) Someday id like to build one of my own designs into a real log home .

Ya beat me to it LOL, Yep I’ve built 4 log cabins in my life. If I could find a nailer that’d shoot 2 foot nails I’d have a real one whipped 🙂

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@58chev do you think we can find 5 acres somewhere 1 hour north of Toronto to buy and build one of these? I am seriously thinking about doing that and spending time building it from scratch. Along with it being totally off the grid.

Doobie

That is a cool video , I have built about 700 log homes but for the birds :-) Someday id like to build one of my own designs into a real log home .

Ya beat me to it LOL, Yep I’ve built 4 log cabins in my life. If I could find a nailer that’d shoot 2 foot nails I’d have a real one whipped :)

Could maybe get a whale harpoon gun? Lol!

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@58chev do you think we can find 5 acres somewhere 1 hour north of Toronto to buy and build one of these? I am seriously thinking about doing that and spending time building it from scratch. Along with it being totally off the grid.

@r-ice
    Affordable and only 1 hour away from the big smoke? That would be quite the find, I think. Even then it would probably have all kinds of building restrictions from all the tree huggers.

— Glenn Botting

cranbrook2
    Pro

Im thinking if I ever build a log house it will probably look something like this 🙂

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Im thinking if I ever build a log house it will probably look something like this />

Is that one that was built on that TV Show, Timber Kings? Now they build some really nice log castles (homes). 🙂

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@r-ice,
    Affordable and only 1 hour away from the big smoke? That would be quite the find, I think. Even then it would probably have all kinds of building restrictions from all the tree huggers.

What do you think then? 1 hour and a half? Where would be a good place to look?

We built our cabin in northern WI with half log siding on a 2 x 6 frame instead of full logs. It is better insulated this way. The interior is all pine car siding. We preferred that over a log wall. It is a great place to go and relax. It has such a “warm” feeling with all that wood.

Pursue your dreams for one of those log homes guys as you will love it. It is something the wife and I dreamed of before we were even married and worked towards ever since. The one drawback though is that the exterior requires more maintenance.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.462 seconds