dcsimg

How To: Align your Bosch table saw Blade, Fence and Miter track

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

A very basic tenant of woodworking is to have good tools. They don’t have to be expensive, but they do need to be accurate and reliable. Sharp, straight and square are huge factors in my shop because without those things, the results are typically less than acceptable.

While there are varying degrees of sharp, straight and square, I strive for perfect. It is not always possible for any number of reasons, but you have to have something to strive for!

Now, on to this specific thread. My table saw has always had a bit of an issue cutting very dense hardwoods (4/4 hard maple in this case) I’ve suspected an alignment issue, but until today, I had not confirmed the issue. If the blade and fence are not parallel, you will have poor results and an increased potential for kickback/injury.

To check the alignment, I purchased a cheap dial indicator and made a simple jig to hold the dial to the saw. I cut a small piece of maple to attach the dial to, then another to sit snugly in the miter track. Next, I cut a half lap joint in one piece so the two would join together at 90*. Given that I suspected the saw had some alignment issues, I marked the half lap with a reliable engineer’s square and cut to my marks rather than relying on the saw to make square cuts for me.

View post on imgur.com

Video:
    The gauge is called a Dial Indicator…not a dial caliper as I refer to it in the video!

Video 2:
    Here is were the problem shows up! The fence is toed IN to the blade as you go from font to back, causing an increased risk of binding and also the source of the burn I’ve been seeing. Essentially, the back of the blade is cutting the work piece Again…after the front has already done so because the fence is forcing the wood back toward the blade.

Video 3:
    My apologies on this one…I did not have the camera rolling while I adjusted the fence. First, I really wasn’t sure how to accomplish the adjustment at the onset, and secondly I couldn’t hold the camera while making the adjustments (I thinkI need a GoPro and a tripod!)

Video 4:
    Results! This is what the cut quality looks like after the adjustment. I also talk about the process to correct the fence angle.

THIS is why I love this blade! What a great cut!

View post on imgur.com

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Nice video ! I really need to adjust my big Grizzly table saw fence.
    When U cut the board will actually pull away from the fence if I don’t hold it tight.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Nice video ! I really need to adjust my big Grizzly table saw fence.
    When U cut the board will actually pull away from the fence if I don’t hold it tight.

It sounds like your fence is out of alignment in the opposite direction that mine was. If the fence is anything like the Bosch version, the fix should be fairly simple.

Jon P.
    Instagram

I usually have my fence set on my 4100 with a single piece of paper on the back tooth of the blade so it has a tiny amount of toe out. I also have my stock pulling up against the fence since I have Jessem stock guides for most of my cuts.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks jponto07, that was some nice info. I didn’t realize it could be adjusted. I’ll have to check mine now.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Great videos , good information , and I guess it is a good thing to check for square in many tools , table saw and miter saw , thanks for the time

Nice video, good idea to check.

One issue with the method on checking the blade to mitre slot. If you take a marker and put a dot on the blade as a reference, measure from the slot to that dot, pull the gauge off the blade and rotate the dot to the back and then measure from the slot to the dot, you take out any variances in the blade itself. You can do this with just a regular combo square too, just pick a tooth to measure to.

The mitre slot is the only thing that cannot move, so it is king. Everything measures from that reference. The fence AND the blade. You can have the fence a little farther away from the blade at the back but not closer as it will bind and could cause kick back or burning.

Remember, if you are toed out on one side of the blade, you will be toed in with the fence on the other side of the blade. Your method is sound though. Typically, with a square, you can feel within thousandths and I have heard a lot of “specs” thrown around, but if you are within .005″ toed out, you are good to go. If you want to use the fence on both sides of the blade, you want as dead on as you can get. 0 is the goal.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

One issue with the method on checking the blade to mitre slot. If you take a marker and put a dot on the blade as a reference, measure from the slot to that dot, pull the gauge off the blade and rotate the dot to the back and then measure from the slot to the dot, you take out any variances in the blade itself. You can do this with just a regular combo square too, just pick a tooth to measure to.

Good idea Jim. I’ll give that a try on Monday and see if anything changes.

Off camera, I did rotate the blade just to see if the gauge detected any runout, which it did in any very small degree. The laser cut relief lines in the body of the blade made the gauge move more than any runout did though.

Thanks for improving on my method though. If I had a messed up blade I would have never known.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Good idea Jim. I’ll give that a try on Monday and see if anything changes.

Off camera, I did rotate the blade just to see if the gauge detected any runout, which it did in any very small degree. The laser cut relief lines in the body of the blade made the gauge move more than any runout did though.

Thanks for improving on my method though. If I had a messed up blade I would have never known.

You’re more than welcome. Glad I could help. I had to get taught it too somewhere along the line. There are machined plates that you can get that attach to the arbour too, but that is starts to get a little spendy.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Nice set of videos Jon. Thanks for taking the time to do them.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

on the topic of aligning the table saw.

ive foudn the fence on the bosch saws are the easiest to realign to the blade. you just have to play around with the two allen key screws on the fence loosinging them mp so theres wiggle in the fence in relation to the t portion at the front of the slot for the fence.. then just retighten them ajusting slightly til its perfectly parrallel to the mitre slots..

much simpler than the dewalt rack and pinion system which is a more efficient design but when it goes off its a total p.i.ta to recalibrate.. ive spent updwards of 2 hrs tweaking the dewalts but only 8 minutes tops on the bosch

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

ive foudn the fence on the bosch saws are the easiest to realign to the blade. you just have to play around with the two allen key screws on the fence loosinging them mp so theres wiggle in the fence in relation to the t portion at the front of the slot for the fence.. then just retighten them ajusting slightly til its perfectly parrallel to the mitre slots..

much simpler than the dewalt rack and pinion system which is a more efficient design but when it goes off its a total p.i.ta to recalibrate.. ive spent updwards of 2 hrs tweaking the dewalts but only 8 minutes tops on the bosch

I couldn’t agree more Jeff. While it is a bit of a blind process adjusting the fence, it’s completely doable and not something to shy away from. Thankfully, my old Dewalt was square and didn’t need any work…i can imagine what a PITA it would have been.

@JimDaddyO,

I did the test again this morning using a consistent spot on the blade…same results in my case. Thanks for the tip!

Jon P.
    Instagram

I couldn’t agree more Jeff. While it is a bit of a blind process adjusting the fence, it’s completely doable and not something to shy away from. Thankfully, my old Dewalt was square and didn’t need any work…i can imagine what a PITA it would have been.

@jimdaddyo,

I did the test again this morning using a consistent spot on the blade…same results in my case. Thanks for the tip!

That is great! Also a good testimony to Freud Blades for their flatness.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Absolutely. The Diablo blades are pretty good, but the Freud Industrial variant is in another league. Of all of the blades I’ve used, I’d say the are the best blade for the money. Forrest blades cut slightly better, but are quite a bit more expensive.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Absolutely. The Diablo blades are pretty good, but the Freud Industrial variant is in another league. Of all of the blades I’ve used, I’d say the are the best blade for the money. Forrest blades cut slightly better, but are quite a bit more expensive.

You’re preachin’ to the choir brother! I love all the Freud blades I have.

I’m having the same issues with my Bosch table saw. How do I get to see the videos – they sound like they could help!
    I keep getting this message when I try to watch:

null
    If the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m having the same issues with my Bosch table saw. How do I get to see the videos – they sound like they could help!

null

They videos are identified as “private”, they were posted almost 3 years ago. If you read the text of the posts here, I’m sure there is enough information to do a proper tune-up of your Bosch table saw. Give it a try and check back if you are still having issues and BTW, welcome to BTP.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

null

Welcome to BTP
    Not sure why you are getting those messages
    Have you tried YouTube videos
    Directly from YouTube
    Maybe because the original poster may have changed something

Good luck , let us know how you managed to get it done.

Tried on YouTube and it still has the same message 😟

Tried on YouTube and it still has the same message 😟

Sorry to hear that , did you see what smallerstick just posted

Also what model of table saw do you have
    And what sort of issues are you having.
    I have the 4100 and had to do some fine tuning , but nothing serious.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.542 seconds