dcsimg

How "NOT" To

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

That is just a joke, there is no way I could sleep at night if I did any work like that. Some one needs to keep power tools away from that man.

Nice clean up job.Just wondering, did he learn anything from this? Hopefully he changed the way he was doing things.

Maynard
    Pro

Before I did carpentry I worked for an electrical company. Well one day they put me with an old man that was new to the company. He told me he’s only been wrong once in his life and when I asked him when was that. He said it was the first time he thought he was wrong. I only worked one day with him. I hope he was joking. I couldn’t tell.

I thought I’d show you one of the elevator door frames being set in before the drywall work and archways were started.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Did they just stack block on top of the frame to fill it in?

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

That is some scary looking block work…Are those blocks just dry stacked?

How long did you work for this guy? I think I would have quit on the first day with work like that going on…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

That is some scary looking block work…Are those blocks just dry stacked?

How long did you work for this guy? I think I would have quit on the first day with work like that going on…

First answer … too long … and yes those blocks are dry stacked, they had a locking system on each end, we would stack them 3 or four high then pour concrete in to them. Once again he got them as a job lot as no other builder wanted to work with them or build with them. However to be honest the block system did work for the most part. I will post another thread on the building of the shaft soon.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

Nice clean up job.Just wondering, did he learn anything from this? Hopefully he changed the way he was doing things.

How does a man who thinks he knows everything learn?

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

Did they just stack block on top of the frame to fill it in?

If you look carefully at those blocks at the top, I cut an inch section out right at the top to allow some kind of way to pour concrete in there. we had re-bar set in to the door header.

The elevator company had minimum aperture size requirements … one at the ground floor and another at the upper floors so as to enable them to install the car. Thats why the blocks were dry stacked in that way to allow the closing off after the main work had been installed by the elevator guys.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

kzcarp
    Pro

I’ve seen those block before, there referred to as speed block. Stack them up with re-bar and pour them solid.
    Seems like a good fit for your guy, they are almost idiot proof.

kevin

I’ve seen those block before, there referred to as speed block. Stack them up with re-bar and pour them solid.
    Seems like a good fit for your guy, they are almost idiot proof.

kevin

Yep, you are quite right, apparently these blocks sat unused unwanted in a local concrete product company’s yard for many years, there is a recess on top for the rebar’s i’d place the bar to the corners every three course drilling in to the one excising wall again every 3 courses.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.374 seconds