dcsimg

How "NOT" To

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author

I came across these photos in my folder this morning and thought i’d share the story behind them plus the pics themselves. Have you ever worked for or with a man who knows everything and knows a better way to do work that you have been doing for say, in my case at the time 40 odd years. Well this wee story is about one such man. This fella will remain nameless (although working for him I called him several names out loud and under my breath).

My boss, who had come to construction and the renovation game from farming, he saw the rich pickings as a way of building up his dream of becoming a millionaire, which to be fair to him he has likely managed at others cost. But then thats another story. So when I joined this “boss” he had just bought a hotel with the intention of turning it in to 15 or so “luxury” apartments. Problem was he for the most part bought in second hand/used or discounted materials to complete the build.

Part of the “luxury” deal was he was to install a lift or elevator to the 3 story building, after the elevator doors were installed I gave him the idea of carrying over the many archways in the upper halls to around the door areas to accent those areas. He was happy to go along with that idea. When I explained how I would do the work he shook his head and decided to “show” me just how it should be done.

The first two photos show his carefully placed cuttings forming what he called an archway, the last is me holding a kit of cuttings which I laughingly offer to you for your next arched project.

After doing this “work” he left the building the rest of the arches to me. I also had to “finish” his good work.

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

LOL sounds like that project would give up some more gems like this one. I’m all fro reuse/recycle but only to a point.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Wow, I see that the last picture, I assume that’s your way,

I am kinda working with a guy like that now, I tell you, it’s kind of a PITA at some points, last week I just handed him the part we were working on and, said here you go, if you’re in such a hurry finish it yourself lol

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

A candidate for the “hack” thread. Good to see you fixed that up.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Just pack some drywall mudnin there right? What a mess!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

LOL sounds like that project would give up some more gems like this one. I’m all fro reuse/recycle but only to a point.

lol i was gonna say, that is an interesting way to make arches. I try to reuse/recycle but most of the time i’ll be lets pick up some new material and go at it.

Here are the “after” photos, after I worked some magic on the arches.

Note … anyone notice the exterior grade drywall used inside?

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

A candidate for the “hack” thread. Good to see you fixed that up.

I was thinking the same thing 🙂 That is just brutal ! I could never work for someone that has skills like that 🙂

kzcarp
    Pro

Nice save there @JourneyMan . I’ve not encountered anything that extreme but have found plenty to shake my head over working in an apartment complex originally built by a lawyer, a carpet guy and an insurance guy.
    Keep the stories coming.

kevin

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Definitely a candidate for the Hack Thread. I’ll give you credit for sticking it out with this “BOSS” of knowledge. LOL

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie

Good for you! Sounds like the venting part is still ongoing. Certainly frustrating I’m sure.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well it looks a lot better after you fixed it Mervyn.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

great fix JourneyMan
    the guy who did the arches didn’t really care how his job effect others.
    but this is definitely something for the hack thread

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

That was a great rescue Merv.

Say, if you hover your pointer over your name at the top a menu shows up. Under “messages” you will find one in your inbox. You work too many hours for me to catch you at home most times.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

That is altogether crazy, while I appreciate another person’s drive and desire to make money, they need to understand that they don’t know everything!

Will

That was a great rescue Merv.

Say, if you hover your pointer over your name at the top a menu shows up. Under “messages” you will find one in your inbox. You work too many hours for me to catch you at home most times.

I replied Jim, thanks for your invite … thanks also for all the replies to this. Out of all the men and some women who worked on this project I was the only qualified tradesman. Believe me when I say there were hundreds who passed through those doors who could not sneeze without asking how to first.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

Nice save there @journeyman . I’ve not encountered anything that extreme but have found plenty to shake my head over working in an apartment complex originally built by a lawyer, a carpet guy and an insurance guy.
    Keep the stories coming.

kevin

There has to be a joke in there somewhere, I walked in to bar and there stood the lawyer and insurance guy but it was the next fella to walk in that really floored me, the carpet guy. Needs some work I know.

Carpenter and Joiner

1970 ... to present.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

@Journeyman, I liked your story so much that I posted it on our FB page. https://www.facebook.com/bethepro/posts/1159354757431759

Thanks again for sharing. Hopefully others will join in and add to the How Not To thread.

Cheers,

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Much better, Thanks for the pics…………………..Ain’t nothing worse than working for a guy that doesn’t know what he’s doing but thinks he does

Clev08
    Pro

That’s the pits working for a guy like that, especially when they are cocky about knowing everything and you just have so swallow your tongue to just get paid by the guy.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.310 seconds