dcsimg

How many of you only buy only one brand of cordless tools?

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 237 total)
  • Author

<P>I have bought a few different brands of cordless tools over the years. Unfortunately I have ended up recycling the batteries and throwing them out after the batteries have died. I find it maddening when a single battery costs more to buy than a new tool with a battery???</P>

<P>With the newer lithium ion stuff that should be a thing of the past. As long as you take care of your batteries and don’t over drain them you should get a very long life out of them. I got rid of my NiCd and NiMH batteries and most of the tools a couple of years ago and am very happy now. I have a couple of NiCd tools which which I’m going to convert to better batteries which don’t self discharge like the older stuff does.</P>

One thing I have heard , and read about the newer tools , is a big part depends on the batteries, many reviews and people say that the Bosch battery technology has a slight upper hand on the competition, any thought from other members who have other brands, I am defenitly not saying the other companies do not make good batteries,I know departements in the company use major competitors , Dewalt and Mil, plus Makita, they are all happy so far. just curious.

I think there is a lot of technology in the Lithium Ion batteries now days. Not sure if all but I know I’ve seen Bosch, Makita and Milwaukee tout their battery technology. Pretty sure all Lithium Ion batteries have some kind of protection circuit in them to prevent over charging and under discharging. Don’t think the batteries installed have much to do as from what I recall they use 18650 Li-Ion cells

The thing which sold me on the Milwaukee was the battery gauge on the M18 batteries and on the tools for M12. I initially bought the LXT Makita which doesn’t have the gauge but sold it when I saw the Milwaukees. At the time I didn’t look into the Bosch tools which also has the battery gauge on the 18 volt batteries.

I like the Bosch ones too since they have a cooling housing to reduce the heat.

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

<P>I have bought a few different brands of cordless tools over the years. Unfortunately I have ended up recycling the batteries and throwing them out after the batteries have died. I find it maddening when a single battery costs more to buy than a new tool with a battery???</P>

<P>With the newer lithium ion stuff that should be a thing of the past. As long as you take care of your batteries and don’t over drain them you should get a very long life out of them. I got rid of my NiCd and NiMH batteries and most of the tools a couple of years ago and am very happy now. I have a couple of NiCd tools which which I’m going to convert to better batteries which don’t self discharge like the older stuff does.</P>

One thing I have heard , and read about the newer tools , is a big part depends on the batteries, many reviews and people say that the Bosch battery technology has a slight upper hand on the competition, any thought from other members who have other brands, I am defenitly not saying the other companies do not make good batteries,I know departements in the company use major competitors , Dewalt and Mil, plus Makita, they are all happy so far. just curious.

I think there is a lot of technology in the Lithium Ion batteries now days. Not sure if all but I know I’ve seen Bosch, Makita and Milwaukee tout their battery technology. Pretty sure all Lithium Ion batteries have some kind of protection circuit in them to prevent over charging and under discharging. Don’t think the batteries installed have much to do as from what I recall they use 18650 Li-Ion cells

The thing which sold me on the Milwaukee was the battery gauge on the M18 batteries and on the tools for M12. I initially bought the LXT Makita which doesn’t have the gauge but sold it when I saw the Milwaukees. At the time I didn’t look into the Bosch tools which also has the battery gauge on the 18 volt batteries.

I like the Bosch ones too since they have a cooling housing to reduce the heat.

Thanks. I did not know that Bosch chargers had coolers in them. Perhaps I should save some points and get a Bosch cordless set.

BryanT

@BryanT. The charger doesn’t have a cooler. The battery has a baseplate which is supposed to cool the battery when charging.

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

@BryanT. The charger doesn’t have a cooler. The battery has a baseplate which is supposed to cool the battery when charging.

Thank you for clarifying that. I do not own any Bosch cordless tools, so I simply do not know any better. So, the plate acts like a heatsink, am I right?

BryanT

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, the plate acts like a heatsink, am I right?

That is it’s purpose.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Posted in error.

I think it would be nice to have all one system. It would save on the number of chargers you have to have for starters. The only cordless tool I have is a drill, which needs replacing soon. I am not sure I really have a need for anything else (but could be easily convinced I need more tools….lol). When I do get a new drill, it will be on sale, price is a big factor for me. I am not a professional, so I don’t have the need most folks around here have. I don’t use them as much, but I do like the quality of name brand items. I think they are so close in performance that the differences are negligible. I kind of give up when I see different models from a company with a big range of price. I see ads, for example, of DeWalt drills and there is no mention of things like battery size or model, just “DeWalt Drill” on sale. When I am not told the difference, then I assume there isn’t one, and I am usually wrong.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

yellaD
    Pro

I’ve started to buy Bosch cordless tools, mainly to just putter around the house like a drill/driver, jigsaw. Thinking about the LED light. For the shop I use have Festool stuff but I can’t afford cordless, I just concentrate my efforts on putting outlets strategically.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’ve started to buy Bosch cordless tools, mainly to just putter around the house like a drill/driver, jigsaw. Thinking about the LED light. For the shop I use have Festool stuff but I can’t afford cordless, I just concentrate my efforts on putting outlets strategically.

lol I convinced you that day when I was messing around with the fl12 and comparing them to the festool syslite. You saw the light heh !

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

JDO having one system is nice. At one time I was all DeWalt. It was nice with only one battery platform. The good news is lots of tool sales this fall/Christmas. You can get some great tools at the lowest prices of the year.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

JDO having one system is nice. At one time I was all DeWalt. It was nice with only one battery platform. The good news is lots of tool sales this fall/Christmas. You can get some great tools at the lowest prices of the year.

A new cordless drill is on my Christmas list. Not sure which brand or model, I find it a confusing thing to shop for. Not sure if price difference is because of the model, or the battery capacity, or because there is a second battery, or who know what else. I want a major brand. I have been looking at Bosch, Makita, Milwaulkie, Porter Cable, Panasonic has caught my eye too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

As time goes on we are more brand diverse now. I like one system but there are tools that some have that others don’t or deals on some and not others. Right now we have Dewalt, Milwaukee, & Bosch cordless tools. Some 36v, a lot of 18v, and quite a bit of 12v. I like all of them.

I also find that being diverse allows me to grab a new bare tool that comes out and not worry if it’s in the system or not.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Well most of my cordless are Bosch, the ones aren’t are a couple of 4v power screwdriver and a 7.2v Makita cordless screwdriver with auto clutch, which is freakin awesome.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Looks like I added Hitachi to my long list today.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

What did you get?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m really ichin for a 18volt 23ga. and a 18ga. trim guns. I searched E-bay last night and couldn’t see da 23ga. one..

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well Jim added the 12v right angle drill the ps11-2a on and it is sweet. I can’t wait to get it.
    http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=PS11-2A

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

What did you get?

It’s over in the Tool thread. 15 ga cordless trim nailer.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

well Jim added the 12v right angle drill the ps11-2a on and it is sweet. I can’t wait to get it.
    http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=PS11-2A

I saw that and want that as well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I’m up to 3 brands of cordless tools now. I have some milwaukee fuel stuff, a bit of dewalt 20v, and I also have a cordless Hilti te2.

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.674 seconds