dcsimg

How many of you only buy only one brand of cordless tools?

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 237 total)
  • Author

In concept that would be awesome. Don’t think that would happen though.

It’s been done before.

Pictured is my DeWalt Supercharger. Just pulled it out of the basement. Purchased in the early – mid 90’s sometime, for what most thought was pretty exorbitant at the time, $100. Charges batteries up to 14.4v, including those from AEG, Bosch, Craftsman, Hitachi, Makita, Milwaukee, Panasonic, Porter Cable and Ryobi, all in 13 minutes or less!

I had a DeWalt 14.4 drill at the time, but also was still using various Makita 9.6 and 12v stuff, plus it was nice to be able to charge up batteries for other guys that might be on the job so quickly.

Wow, that is cool! Didn’t know they did that for the pod batteries. Too bad they cannot do that again. I would love to have one charger which could charge all my batteries. Right now I have four different ones to charge all my various batteries.

That’s the precise reason I try to stick with one brand, I found prior to just my Bosch, I used for make sure I had my batteries and chargers for all three brands when I was going to work at a clients home.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s the precise reason I try to stick with one brand, I found prior to just my Bosch, I used for make sure I had my batteries and chargers for all three brands when I was going to work at a clients home.

I do too, Brian.

Pic of the various contacts:

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It’s been done before.

Pictured is my DeWalt Supercharger.

What a great concept. Sure wish someone was working on something similar.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

I do too, Brian.

Pic of the various contacts:

Wow, that is a cool charger, does it still work, and do you actually use it.
    Thinking of selling it??

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, that is a cool charger, does it still work, and do you actually use it.
    Thinking of selling it??

No, I haven’t used it in probably 10+ years. I only have one brand of the latest cordless – the stuff that worked in that is many years gone. I only saved this in that it was pretty unique. It did work before I put it away.

I was going to go with this when I had my Makita 18 volt tools.

The I had enough tools to make it worth it but the adapter isn’t meant to be taken off once installed so I decided on not purchasing.

This would be really great for the pod style batteries with 18 volts.

@Boschmanbrian, couldn’t you use something like this?

The only concern I would have is, and it’s a big one, is most of the modern tools have battery drain protection circuits built into the tool. Don’t think the older NiCad or NiMh tools have these. If you are diligent and don’t run the batteries down to low levels then you should be fine.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/6OoBlF1RhV8?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>
    The I had enough tools to make it worth it but the adapter isn’t meant to be taken off once installed so I decided on not purchasing.

The only concern I would have is, and it’s a big one, is most of the modern tools have battery drain protection circuits built into the tool. Don’t think the older NiCad or NiMh tools have these. If you are diligent and don’t run the batteries down to low levels then you should be fine.

Haha funny you mentioned that, I have already contacted the seller off eBay,a few years ago, they don’t make them for Bosch 🙁

Looks like i’m going to have to upgrade eventually.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/6OoBlF1RhV8?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Haha funny you mentioned that, I have already contacted the seller off eBay,a few years ago, they don’t make them for Bosch :(

Looks like i’m going to have to upgrade eventually.

I know you have a hard time parting with your tools but I’m glad I went with the Lithium Ion stuff. Have no regrets and won’t look back.

I’ve made more than I expected selling off my old tools. Not sure about the Bosch stuff but my old Makita’s brought me more than 50% of the price of a new tool. Of course mine were used but I take great care not to drop or lay the tool down so there were no scuffs or scratches on them.

One guy said he had a lot of batteries and didn’t want them to go to waste so he was expanding on his set.

In Hawaii, Makita is the most popular tool brand. I’ve sold off all, except one, of my tools and batteries pretty easily. The one tool I can’t sell off is my 9.6v drill. But I’m not trying very hard to do so. It was my very first cordless tool I bought so it kinda has some sentimental value to it. That is the one I want to do a RC battery conversion to at least keep it running.

I like to keep stuff running but eventually the become obsolete. Consider selling or donating them to someone in need before it gets to the point where no one wants them. Just my thoughts.

@Maukarunner thanks Eric, some great tips and information, I will start to look into what some are going for on the Web this weekend.

Thanks again, actually if I start going for the new lithium, I can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.
    I can get the tools in the L box 😉

Bobcdn
    Pro

I bought the Ryobi stuff because it was cheap and has worked well for many years- although I need new battery again! Also the reciprocating saw died and had to be replaced.

Waiting for a good set to go on sale and then i will likely switch from my Ryobi to something smaller, lighter with less vibration.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

<P>I bought the Ryobi stuff because it was cheap and has worked well for many years- although I need new battery again! Also the reciprocating saw died and had to be replaced.</P>
    <P>Waiting for a good set to go on sale and then i will likely switch from my Ryobi to something smaller, lighter with less vibration.</P>

I had Ryobi NiCad stuff when I first started in the Electrical trade about 10 years ago because my company supplied the first drill for us. It didn’t take long for me to spend the money and buy my first drill kit. I went with a Makita Drill and Impact Combo with Lithium Ion batteries and it made a huge difference in my ease of work. I still actually have the impact driver and it works well, a friend of mine borrowed the drill and burned about the motor by accident though.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I am looking for a reasonably priced set of cordless tools myself. What is your experience with Ryobi? I am thinking about getting a set, price seems to be releasable.

What battery platform are you currently using and why do you want to switch?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

In a shop setting one brand of cordless tool is not important. The chargers are static so you just plug in a new battery, no having to tote in and off the job site. Of course you need space for all the chargers. I am up to 10 different platforms. I buy the tool if I can find it in a platform I have OK, if not, then I get a new platform. I am looking at a cordless sander and Makita is the only one I can find. That would mean a new platform.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

In a shop setting one brand of cordless tool is not important. The chargers are static so you just plug in a new battery, no having to tote in and off the job site. Of course you need space for all the chargers. I am up to 10 different platforms. I buy the tool if I can find it in a platform I have OK, if not, then I get a new platform. I am looking at a cordless sander and Makita is the only one I can find. That would mean a new platform.

Yeah I’m seeing that Makita does a great job in producing many different tools, for many different jobs, home / work they have a vast selection.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yeah I’m seeing that Makita does a great job in producing many different tools, for many different jobs, home / work they have a vast selection.

It seems to me that Makita and Milwaukee make a bunch of stuff no one else seems to have. Their R&D departments are working overtime to come up with new products that no one seems to have.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have bought a few different brands of cordless tools over the years. Unfortunately I have ended up recycling the batteries and throwing them out after the batteries have died. I find it maddening when a single battery costs more to buy than a new tool with a battery???

Anonymous
    Inactive

It seems to me that Makita and Milwaukee make a bunch of stuff no one else seems to have. Their R&D departments are working overtime to come up with new products that no one seems to have.

Yep, the others are getting left behind, and not just in the amount of cordless tools offered.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

<P>It seems to me that Makita and Milwaukee make a bunch of stuff no one else seems to have. Their R&D departments are working overtime to come up with new products that no one seems to have.</P>

<P>Yep, the others are getting left behind, and not just in the amount of cordless tools offered.</P>

This is definitely what I have noticed, the quality is a huge difference too. I think Bosch is pretty close or the same in tool selection and quality. The biggest difference is that so much of their stuff isn’t available in North America which makes it difficult to get everything you want.

I have bought a few different brands of cordless tools over the years. Unfortunately I have ended up recycling the batteries and throwing them out after the batteries have died. I find it maddening when a single battery costs more to buy than a new tool with a battery???

With the newer lithium ion stuff that should be a thing of the past. As long as you take care of your batteries and don’t over drain them you should get a very long life out of them. I got rid of my NiCd and NiMH batteries and most of the tools a couple of years ago and am very happy now. I have a couple of NiCd tools which which I’m going to convert to better batteries which don’t self discharge like the older stuff does.

<P>I have bought a few different brands of cordless tools over the years. Unfortunately I have ended up recycling the batteries and throwing them out after the batteries have died. I find it maddening when a single battery costs more to buy than a new tool with a battery???</P>

<P>With the newer lithium ion stuff that should be a thing of the past. As long as you take care of your batteries and don’t over drain them you should get a very long life out of them. I got rid of my NiCd and NiMH batteries and most of the tools a couple of years ago and am very happy now. I have a couple of NiCd tools which which I’m going to convert to better batteries which don’t self discharge like the older stuff does.</P>

One thing I have heard , and read about the newer tools , is a big part depends on the batteries, many reviews and people say that the Bosch battery technology has a slight upper hand on the competition, any thought from other members who have other brands, I am defenitly not saying the other companies do not make good batteries,I know departements in the company use major competitors , Dewalt and Mil, plus Makita, they are all happy so far. just curious.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.899 seconds