dcsimg

How many grinders do you guys carry?

This topic contains 32 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  MrFid 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN
    jponto07 wrote:

I have been thinking about picking up a new brushless Making angle grinder though.

I would go with the Makita brushless, it’s a great little grinder. I have 3 now.

Which model do you have @dirtywhiteboy? I believe there are at least two (same grinder, one paddle switch, one slider)…are there others?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I keep one with a few different disc’s for it.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I have 2; 1380slim (corded) and the CAG180. both are 4-1/2″ grinder
    I switch wheels as the job and preference needed.
    But the CAG180 comes in handy when you dont want to drag a cord with you or look for an outlet

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Nobody chimed in on that pesky paddle. Does it just take getting used to?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.
    jponto07 wrote:

I have been thinking about picking up a new brushless Making angle grinder though.

I would go with the Makita brushless, it’s a great little grinder. I have 3 now.

Which model do you have @dirtywhiteboy? I believe there are at least two (same grinder, one paddle switch, one slider)…are there others?

Mine do not have a paddle switch. I got them on a contractor sale at HD for 129$ 4½” grinder battery and charger. I bought 5 and sold 2 grinders for 100$ each. Saved the batteries and can’t sell the chargers.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That’s quite the deal DWB! I’ve gotten a few batteries in that same way…bought a kit and sold the bare tools for a combined price of near what the the kit costs, and I still have 2 batteries to show for it.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have a nice Makita SJS Varible speed 5″ corded grinder I do not carry with me. It’s more of a specialty tool I grab if I think I’ll need it for the day. It’s a work horse I need to get a dust shroud for.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have used grinders with paddle switches for years and have some with the basic on off switch. Paddle switch must be a safety feature that allows the tool to stop if something happens. I prefer the on off switch, less hand fatigue.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I only have the 1 corded 4 1/2 grinder, i originally bought it with the intention of using it to cut steel, as that is what the blacksmith instructor used when we were cutting things up. However I found a good smaller metal bandsaw worked much better for it. Now i just use it for concrete stuff.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have used grinders with paddle switches for years and have some with the basic on off switch. Paddle switch must be a safety feature that allows the tool to stop if something happens. I prefer the on off switch, less hand fatigue.

Half of the time the paddle locks running and you have to super squeeze the handle to get it to release….either that or I have a quirky tool and need to take it apart and mess with it.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Anonymous

Paddle switch must be a safety feature that allows the tool to stop if something happens.

I had a corded grinder get away from me once when I was a teen, grinding rust scale with a twisted knot wheel off the frame of a truck outdoors. Thing ran itself 20′ across the ground and took out the side window of the bed cap that was setting there. Wouldn’t have happened had it had a paddle switch.

I only have the 1 corded 4 1/2 grinder, i originally bought it with the intention of using it to cut steel, as that is what the blacksmith instructor used when we were cutting things up. However I found a good smaller metal bandsaw worked much better for it. Now i just use it for concrete stuff.

What make is the bandsaw . And what is the width it can cut .

Always willing to learn .

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I have the Bosch 5in grinder with variable speed. I love it. I don’t have to swap out discs that often for most of my work, so a second is not necessary.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.568 seconds