dcsimg

How long do they last?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Do you oil the red wings?

Yes, but not as often as I should.

I use a product called Obenauf’s. It is a beeswax based boot conditioner. It was invented by a wildland fire-fighter in Idaho, and it works really well for me.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I tried redwings, though i have to admit they were the hikers not work. They didnt help my painful feet which at the time was just like any other boot. They did not hold up though. All the lace loops broke and in the end the soles cracked.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I tried redwings, though i have to admit they were the hikers not work. They didnt help my painful feet which at the time was just like any other boot. They did not hold up though. All the lace loops broke and in the end the soles cracked.

I also tried them, once. I bought their best selling boot, and wore out the soles in a year. Spent $50 to have them resoled, and then the uppers came apart a few months later. So, about $200 invested for 18 months of boot wearing. I can do a lot better than that.

Doobie

If you buy good boots, you can get good wear out of them.

That’s been my experience wih any footwear. Cheap price, gone in a year or less. Pay more and get 5 years plus.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Some soles are replaceable for less then the cost of new boots. Find a cobbler and see what they can do!

When I wore Red Wings I always got them resoled – the store I bought them from has a cobbler on site and they will resole them the first time for free. Only reason I quit wearing Red Wings was that they discontinued the style I always wore and I couldn’t find another that fit me just right…I have been meaning to stop in there one day and try some Red Wings on again to see if I find a pair I like.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Does any body wear Georgia Boot?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have two pairs of Keens that I’m currently wearing. Both are between 3-6 months old and in nearly new condition. The soles aren’t quite as comfortable as they originally were in the older pair. I’ll probably start looking for replacement insoles soon.

Prior to the Keens, I’ve made short work of Wolverines and a bunch of Asics running shoes.

I thought the Keen insoles wore out fast. I did replace the original ones with super feet insoles. They are much better than the Keen ones.

Mine are still okay as long as I’m not on my feet all day or on concrete for extended periods of time. If so, they start to ache a bit.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I should saddle soap more often. The drywall dust dries the leather out fast. My biggest problem is burning the stitching either welding or cutting the steel.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

If you get Redwings, you need to pay careful attention to which style you get.

Sometime back in the ’90’s, they got very popular, and like everyone else, started making product overseas. But unlike everyone else, they continue to manufacture some product here, and the quality is vastly superior.

So you need to make sure that you pick a style that is made here.

I’ve worn Redwings for almost 20 years, and I get about 3 resoles out of them. I’m not in the least bit easy on my boots. Being a remodeler and rancher, with very little outside help, I generally put my boots and tools through the wringer, and I’m very happy with the way they’ve held up.

Disclaimer: I’m not in any way affiliated with Redwing, other that as a customer.

As far as Georgia boots go, several people I know have used them, and if they end up working on my jobs, they invariably fall apart. I think they are O.K. for the weekend warrior/DIY type, but they are not really a heavy construction boot, as far as I can tell.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

As far as Georgia boots go, several people I know have used them, and if they end up working on my jobs, they invariably fall apart.

I have had the same experience with Georgia boots, they were comfortable but started falling apart after a little over a month.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I just ordered me a pair of black insulated waterproof soft toe timberland pros work boots. I am happy with them so far they are very comfortable right out of the box.
    The last pair of boots I had was a pair of redwings. they lasted me about 5 years. I was happy with them but decided against another pair mainly because of the cost and the fact that the majority of the work I do is residential service. so I didn’t think I needed as heavy duty as redwings.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I just ordered me a pair of black insulated waterproof soft toe timberland pros work boots. I am happy with them so far they are very comfortable right out of the box.
    The last pair of boots I had was a pair of redwings. they lasted me about 5 years. I was happy with them but decided against another pair mainly because of the cost and the fact that the majority of the work I do is residential service. so I didn’t think I needed as heavy duty as redwings.

I love my timberlands, the only shoe/boot ive found that dont hurt my feet. Dont know if you will get 5 years out of them though. At some point i might try keens but until i do timberland are my go to boot

KenW
    Pro

I have owned 3 pair of Redwing hiker soft toe that I used for work. Each pair lasted about 2.5 years and then the wore sole would crack down the middle. Otherwise they were very comfortable boots, waterproofed and impressive enough to make me buy 2 additional pairs.

I’m on 10 months in my Keens. The sole is wearing really well and the uppers clean up pretty easily and look good. The factory insole shows little to no wear and the heel box looks good too. The dog chewed one of the laces and I contacted Keen to buy some replacement laces. Was told my brown/blue laces weren’t for sale individually but they sent me some black ones free of charge. (I understand Redwing also has a free lace policy.)

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

The dog chewed one of the laces and I contacted Keen to buy some replacement laces. Was told my brown/blue laces weren’t for sale individually but they sent me some black ones free of charge

That is some good customer service right there.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

yellaD
    Pro

I’d like a pair of Keens, I’ve tried something different everytime. I can’t remember which stand out as being the best but I hate my current Sorel safety shoes! They won’t last a year, and they’re uncomfortable.
    I do stand or walk all day though.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I stopped and tried on some Keen and Merrell shoes on this evening.
    Couldn’t find any that fit me right.
    Georgia boot used to be a real good boot but the last pair the sole just fell apart.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I’d like a pair of Keens, I’ve tried something different everytime. I can’t remember which stand out as being the best but I hate my current Sorel safety shoes! They won’t last a year, and they’re uncomfortable.
    I do stand or walk all day though.

unfortunately Sorel is yet another good company destroyed when bought out by another. I have had horrible luck with columbia boots and even worse success with their customer service

KenW
    Pro

Few years back I really liked my Chameleon II’s. Then they changed them and I didn’t find any others I really liked. They make a good quality shoe imo.

my red wings are on 4+ years and we’re re-soled after 2. my keens are 3-4 months old and still like new other than being dirty as hell

I should probably mention that I walk 5-10 miles a day at my job. so it’s been a pretty hard 3-4 months on my Keens. still unbelievably comfortable.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

i keep buying shoes from costco they last about 1y to 1.5y and then i buy new ones. not considered as work shoes but i use them for that.
    no clue what the brand is

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.588 seconds